Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

16,662 posts, read 29,413,176 times

Advertisements

As education, schools, and the behavior of children in schools are extremely popular topics on the Atlanta forum...I think this article is pertinent...and could be very helpful to many:

Today's tykes: Secure kids or rudest in history? - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Enjoy...and feel free to comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM

840 posts, read 2,081,303 times
Being in Generation Y I do feel that we are very rude, including myself. I find myself asking authority why they do the things that they do because I dont like it or dont understand it.

I'm Just hoping our kids generation is better Z is going to be great

Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,246,999 times
I actually don't encounter this very often. I am the "mean mom". When my kid was at that age when he didn't want to share and a situation at a park arose I'd tell him to get over it and let the other kid play with his toy. However, if he saw an abandoned toy and wanted to play with it I'd tell him that it wasn't his and he had to ask. So...I made him share his stuff but I didn't let him appropriate other people's stuff. The Mean Mom.

But, truly, I don't know a whole lot of daiper bags (ie, baby douche bags). Make me think the article is overblown.

I have met a few, though. They have annoying parents...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,880,051 times
This generational labeling always seems facile to me. One can see there's some value in the generalizations, but they just don't apply to everyone. Anyway, as a late-ish Boomer (1956) raising a late Gen-Yer (1994) I guess I lack insight into the relations of Gen-Xers and their tykes.

Last edited by RainyRainyDay; 05-08-2009 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,579,500 times
Supposedly I'm generation X (born in 1976). I read this article and thought it had a lot generalizing. I don't think it takes different subcultures into account. Growing up in my family it was unheard of to talk back to an adult. Period. Same for all of my friends' families. Most of us have in turn taken a similar (albeit not as hardcore) approach to parenting. My parents and grandparents made it plain: They were adults and I was a child and I was expected to stay in my place.

I have the same approach with my kids. My best friends are the same way with their children. I do think we communicate better with our children than our parents did with us. However, the authority factor is unchanged.

I think the parenting issues they talk about in the article are actually a symptom of greater issues with our society. The truth is our society rewards rudeness. We reward obnoxious behavior. Look at some of our leaders. Listen to most of our media voices. The loud, rude, obnoxious guy gets all the attention and makes the money. This is not to excuse bad parenting. But there are a lot of strong messages in our society that tell us it pays off to be rude and self serving.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,825,701 times
I think the latest generation of kids (toddlers to tweens) are the most out of control I've seen in terms of the way they behave in public (or more accurate - not behave). Then you could create a spin-off thread about this youngest generation of criminals in the worst areas - 14 year olds who participate in home invasions and car jackings, etc. Scary.

But it's not the kids, obviously. It's the parents. The LAST generation of kids, who are now the current generation of parents, quite frankly, completely stink at the job. It's like someone took a bunch of middle schoolers, impregnated them, and turned them loose with kids of their own loose upon society. Twenty-somethings with the mentality of teens, having kids. VERY scary.

I'm a people watcher when I'm out in public. I read body language and just try to figure people out when I'm bored. I can't count how many times I've been out lately to see kids cough open-mouthed in a crowded public place, only to see "Mom" not say a single word to them about how they should cover their mouths. Honestly, I haven't seen ONE young Mother correct the kid to teach them basic public hygiene like this - not one. They don't even know how to teach their kids to cover their mouths, or how not to run ahead of them in a parking lot at the store... it's really crazy.

Can't wait for the next generation. They'll read their Amazon Kindle readers while driving their cars, cough into your face when they're talking to you, or think it's ok to get a divorce via text messaging.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think the latest generation of kids (toddlers to tweens) are the most out of control I've seen in terms of the way they behave in public (or more accurate - not behave). Then you could create a spin-off thread about this youngest generation of criminals in the worst areas - 14 year olds who participate in home invasions and car jackings, etc. Scary.

But it's not the kids, obviously. It's the parents. The LAST generation of kids, who are now the current generation of parents, quite frankly, completely stink at the job. It's like someone took a bunch of middle schoolers, impregnated them, and turned them loose with kids of their own loose upon society. Twenty-somethings with the mentality of teens, having kids. VERY scary.

I'm a people watcher when I'm out in public. I read body language and just try to figure people out when I'm bored. I can't count how many times I've been out lately to see kids cough open-mouthed in a crowded public place, only to see "Mom" not say a single word to them about how they should cover their mouths. Honestly, I haven't seen ONE young Mother correct the kid to teach them basic public hygiene like this - not one. They don't even know how to teach their kids to cover their mouths, or how not to run ahead of them in a parking lot at the store... it's really crazy.

Can't wait for the next generation. They'll read their Amazon Kindle readers while driving their cars, cough into your face when they're talking to you, or think it's ok to get a divorce via text messaging.
OK, I'll say the one thing I see parents doing now-a-days that really burns my britches is allowing their child to interrupt conversation.

Now, my son still does it, though he's getting better and better. But we don't tolerate it. He has to apologize for interrupting, go away, and come back when he sees he won't be interrupting.

But I will be having a conversation with another mom and her kids will just interrupt, interrupt, interrupt and all she does is stop the conversation to attend to her kid.

I REALLY don't like that.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
OK, I'll say the one thing I see parents doing now-a-days that really burns my britches is allowing their child to interrupt conversation.

But I will be having a conversation with another mom and her kids will just interrupt, interrupt, interrupt and all she does is stop the conversation to attend to her kid.

I REALLY don't like that.
I don't allow it. If the kid interrupts, I look at the kid myself and say, "Your Dad/Mom and I are having a conversation - your turn will be next, but right now, you don't interrupt us - it's rude". So far in years of this, I've only had one parent come at me with a "don't talk to my child like that" attitude, at which point I'll just respond back with, "Well then, I guess our conversation is over since we can't talk without interruption then.", and then I turn around and walk off - no more said. bingo.

Many times though, you'll find that the kid's parents also interrupt people a lot - that's where the kid LEARNS it. With adults my tactics are different. If someone interrupts me multiple times during a conversation, I will do one of two things: I'll stop them and go, "Ok, you've interrupted me X-amount of times.. I AM going to finish what I have to say - ok??"... or if I'm raw I've actually been known to spill out a, "Ok, you keep interrupting me - you just need to shut up now". (oops!)

Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I don't allow it. If the kid interrupts, I look at the kid myself and say, "Your Dad/Mom and I are having a conversation - your turn will be next, but right now, you don't interrupt us - it's rude". So far in years of this, I've only had one parent come at me with a "don't talk to my child like that" attitude, at which point I'll just respond back with, "Well then, I guess our conversation is over since we can't talk without interruption then.", and then I turn around and walk off - no more said. bingo.

Many times though, you'll find that the kid's parents also interrupt people a lot - that's where the kid LEARNS it. With adults my tactics are different. If someone interrupts me multiple times during a conversation, I will do one of two things: I'll stop them and go, "Ok, you've interrupted me X-amount of times.. I AM going to finish what I have to say - ok??"... or if I'm raw I've actually been known to spill out a, "Ok, you keep interrupting me - you just need to shut up now". (oops!)
It depends on how well I know the parent/kid. If I don't know them at all I won't say anything. But if it's a family I know I will.

I know kids are pretty self-centered and that's a natural stage in their development, but it's up to us to help them grow out of it.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

I know kids are pretty self-centered and that's a natural stage in their development, but it's up to us to help them grow out of it.
We're starting a new era now - we have to think differently.

FARMS.

Children should be raised on "child farms". Once born, taken to a farm where qualified, trained, behaviorists and child experts raise them from birth to the age of 18, training them in all things important like proper social interaction and responsibility, financial issues, etc. They will then be returned to their families at young adulthood and allowed to mix with the rest of the populace.

Well - we can dream, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: