U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,373,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I don't like most jewelry commercials. I like jewelry very much, but I don't understand the consumerist mindset behind it. When my husband buys me a piece, I'm not interested in impressing others. I love the fact that he knows I like jewelry and bought me something he thought I would enjoy.

Right. I mean, I am not a big jewelry person but I do understand the appeal. After all, I really like tattoos. It's all about adornment and self-expression.

It's one thing for your loved one to buy you jewelry after giving it a lot of thought, say knowing your birthstone is an opal and you love opals, and giving you an opal something on your birthday.

But it's quite another to focus on (1) where he got it (other than making sure it's not a blood diamond), and (2) how much he paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Hmm...okay, I get it. Anyhoo, I totally agree with you about the Jared commercials. I don't see the appeal of jewelry at all, to be honest. It annoys me to no end when girls with $12,000 rings act superior to girls with $1,000 rings....like whatever guy they're shacked up with loves them more because they spent more. It's so materialistic and shallow. If you want to show your love to someone, maybe buy them something that would impact their life. I don't know, like a trip to Austraila or Japan. That would mean a whole lot more to me than a crappy rock.
Like I mentioned...I'd have been happy if my husband had bought us a computer....

We eventually did get one. A Dell Dimension D233, if I remember correctly.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,302,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I hate hate hate hate Jared because they have the most annoying, SHALLOW, horrid, materialistic, and did I say shallow, commercials.

If my husband EVER buys me anything from Jared I will beat him up. But he never will because I hardly ever wear jewelry.

Sorry, had to rant. This is a rare night of watching television and my viewing time was hijacked by the most objectionable television commercial depicting the most shallow and materialistic stereotypes of women.

Rrrrrrrr.....

But in all honesty do you not expect the commercial to be shallow and materialistic? I mean they sell unnecessary and truly worthless rocks metals and minerals. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes but had to say it.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,240,266 times
We should do a parody commercial and upload it to youtube. The ladies will gossip and say, "He got it at Jarred!", and in ours, the guy will walk in, be missing two teeth in front, and go, "Hellll no! I got it at the Wal-mart!".

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
But in all honesty do you not expect the commercial to be shallow and materialistic? I mean they sell unnecessary and truly worthless rocks metals and minerals. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes but had to say it.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But these Jared commercials are waaaaay worse than any other company's...at least that I've seen. And I suppose what really enrages me is the way they portray women...as if we're all gold diggers.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
We should do a parody commercial and upload it to youtube. The ladies will gossip and say, "He got it at Jarred!", and in ours, the guy will walk in, be missing two teeth in front, and go, "Hellll no! I got it at the Wal-mart!".

After I posted this I googled 'I hate Jared' and found a different forum that had an entire discussion about hating these commercials. And within that thread I found this little gem:

YouTube - Danny(The Tourettes Guy) Went to Jared

I wish we could embed YouTube in THIS forum....

Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,212,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
....like whatever guy they're shacked up with loves them more because they spent more.
not quite.

its more like, "my guy has more money than your guy."

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Oh, wait, we CAN!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,695,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Alas, my ring is a Walmart ring. And I still think my husband paid too much for it. I'm just that cheap.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,212,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
. . . And within that thread I found this little gem:

YouTube - Danny(The Tourettes Guy) Went to Jared

I wish we could embed YouTube in THIS forum....
oh my goodness, that was funny!

after the video ends, click the next one. its called something like "tourettes guy danny tribute pt 2".

frickin hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta