U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM

170 posts, read 337,007 times

Advertisements

Yes, any commercial that is geared toward pimping a rock that derives its exorbitant "value" purely from marketing can't be appealing to the sensible side of people.

I highly recommend reading this article for some perspective on diamonds:
Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? - The Atlantic (February 1982)

I refuse to buy an Earth diamond for an engagement ring. I would however buy a cultured diamond as a compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,229,109 times
What it boils down to, is that once again, we can blame parents for half of this, and MAYBE advertising and peer pressure/brain washing for the other half.

Ok, sorry, but I'll use my Mom as an example once more: She grew up in the late 1930s and early 1940s, literally on a mountaintop farm in West Virginia, with TWELVE siblings. Very much a "Waltons" type of thing, taking place in the same time period (Depression/War) and in an area where there wasn't a lot of money or hope by people for a better life. Having 11 other kids, she shared everything, her mom made their clothes, going to the movies was an extravagance. So, she was programmed early on that the only way to "escape" that life, was to meet a rich man who would wisk her away, buy her things, etc. Not an uncommon fantasy of girls back then, really. She never met "that" guy, but instead "settled" in order to get off the mountain, but through life that fantasy life still hangs on her back. But she must have really REALLY wanted it then to stick with her so long and so strong to the point she still seeks these things out. Other than a few magazine ads though, I guess we can't blame Jarred or other ads for her mental trip - it was due to having a lacking home life more than anything I guess.

It hits different kids differently, though. There were four of us kids, and while not as sparse as my Mothers childhood, we had very little growing up. One sister now saves money like there's a bank in heaven waiting for her with all of it in it. The other Sister spends two dollars for every one she earns. The Brother is Captain anal who has to "log" every penny that goes out of the house. Me - I rarely balance my checkbook, save a little, spend a little, but still fall for an occasional gizmo in case "something happens and I won't be able to buy it ever again later in life".

Today's younger girls still think about marriage from the age of 5. "One day you'll meet a successful man, have a $50,000 wedding in the garden of a castle, and live happily ever after in the suburbs in a 4BR/4BA home with a three car garage and bi-yearly vacations to the islands with a husband who buys you fine jewelry on each holiday..."... etc etc.. It's pumped into them from early childhood. A few are told that they "Can have it all!!"... Mother, husband, kids, a full time career, new home, diamonds, new car, nice clothes... yes yes... you can and WILL have it alllllll. hack, barf, urk, ugh.

Boys aren't exempt. They don't buy into the wedding/kids/jewelry bit, but from an early age they're now taught that you're not "anything" unless you have lots of "stuff" (cars, electronics, the big screen TV, big house, etc).

We do like to call them brats and spoiled, but honestly, if the parents gave their kids lectures about the value of a dollar, and how earning what you buy is the only way to have it instead of whipping out the charge card to get them every new gizmo, it would help counteract the bombardment of TV ads they're subjected to. Maybe they'll have fewer hangups later in life. I don't think kids need to be raised in a Military atmosphere, but when young and in their tweens, I honestly do think that limiting their TV time and also limiting time at the malls/stores really does help them out later.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,480,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Alas, my ring is a Walmart ring. And I still think my husband paid too much for it. I'm just that cheap.
My wife and I got out wedding rings at Sears.

I love mine ... it's a simple white gold ring with a hammered finish.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,300,732 times
Exclamation LOL---The Captain Sorta Has A Dog In This Fight!

^^ Hey AtlantaGreg...I've gotten a big kick out of reading the stories about your mom...and Plessthanpointofive, count me as another fella who absolutely HATES those Jared commercials! There are entirely TOO MANY level-headed intelligent NON-MATERIALISTIC women in this world who absolutely are NOT like those BB-brained bimbos in the Jared commercial (LOL---yep...you guessed it...I married one!)

Sometimes I get so irritated hearing people blather on about A) how much their whatever cost and B) what store they got the whatever from, or what label is on that whatever...

Don't they realize that there are 800,000,000 people in China who don't know who Jimmy Choo or Manolo Blahnik are---and don't give a sweating duck's a** one way or another?

LOL...let me share with you, then, some Captain Catfish wisdom on Materialism and her evil twin Superficiality:

1. He who dies with the most toys---is still one dead SOB

2. It doesn't matter how many houses you own, how much gaudy overpriced jewelry you wear, or how many fancy cars you drive...unless you dig the biggest dadgum grave in the world, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! And I doubt anyone in the afterlife wants to spend eternity hearing you run your mouth about your stuff, either!

3. I have nothing but respect for you if you busted your a**, worked hard, saved your money wisely, THEN went out and bought nice stuff, and didn't feel the need to let everyone know about it...but there's always ONE rumdum in the bunch who can't help bragging about his/her new Hummer, Porsche Boxster, Corvette, etc...however, if you wrap that sucker around a tree you'll either have A) an expensive pile of scrap metal, or B) you'll not only have that, if the accident is bad enough, then you'll be like that person in point number 1 (wait for it!) one dead SOB

I know someone will probably read this thread, and excoriate all of us and call us 'haters' (the insult of choice for the younger generation LOL) because we can't grasp the wonderful concept of something being worth much to them unless it has a certain label or price tag on it, or that it just HAS to come from a certain store... but as you've probably gathered from what I've written above, I REALLY don't care (and yes, Mrs Catfish and I have bought a LOT of stuff from Wal-Mart, and that works for us LOL )

Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
The worst part of the whole "wedding fantasy" that is ingrained in the minds of most little girls...the idea of spending many thousands of dollars on a fancy and fabulous one-day party that you really can't afford, then going back home to your trailer.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 PM

good points, captaincatfish

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,885,276 times
DeBeers has really used their marketing clout to make diamonds a must-have. I read somewhere that 40 years ago, Japanese folks never used rings as part of their engagement/marriage process... DeBeers blitzed the Japanese market with ads and now it's part of the culture. Jared's commercials are sickening... they are not clever at all...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM

969 posts, read 2,605,710 times
Pick your poision:

Jared Commercials on TV, or,
Shane Company commercials on the radio.

Ugh.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 AM

550 posts, read 1,428,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
DeBeers has really used their marketing clout to make diamonds a must-have. I read somewhere that 40 years ago, Japanese folks never used rings as part of their engagement/marriage process... DeBeers blitzed the Japanese market with ads and now it's part of the culture. Jared's commercials are sickening... they are not clever at all...

This was in the Atlantic article linked to elsewhere in this thread. Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? - The Atlantic (February 1982)

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Pick your poision:

Jared Commercials on TV, or,
Shane Company commercials on the radio.

Ugh.
You forgot D Geller & Sons commercials, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta