Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,233,600 times

Advertisements

I hate hate hate hate Jared because they have the most annoying, SHALLOW, horrid, materialistic, and did I say shallow, commercials.

If my husband EVER buys me anything from Jared I will beat him up. But he never will because I hardly ever wear jewelry.

Sorry, had to rant. This is a rare night of watching television and my viewing time was hijacked by the most objectionable television commercial depicting the most shallow and materialistic stereotypes of women.

Rrrrrrrr.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,316,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I hate hate hate hate Jared because they have the most annoying, SHALLOW, horrid, materialistic, and did I say shallow, commercials.

If my husband EVER buys me anything from Jared I will beat him up. But he never will because I hardly ever wear jewelry.

Sorry, had to rant. This is a rare night of watching television and my viewing time was hijacked by the most objectionable television commercial depicting the most shallow and materialistic stereotypes of women.

Rrrrrrrr.....
Was it the one where they receive picture messages from the girl on the date? Makes me want to ralph. And I'm not anti-TV...in fact I watch it for several hours a day. I still hate Jared commercials.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 PM

YES, it was that one. I don't know any women who would do that!

There was one several years ago where two women, married to brothers or something, and they both got jewelry for Christmas from their husbands. The one, depicted as unlikable, shows off her gift, making snarky faces towards the other. The other opens her gift and everyone in the room gasps because HERS came from Jared. The first one gets all mad at her husband because he didn't get hers from Jared.

I so despise that commercial and every single Jared commercial that I will never ever buy any jewelry from them. I know I said I don't wear much jewelry but when I do buy jewelry I buy something nice. One day soon I'd like to buy some very nice diamond earrings, solitaires at 2 cttw. I won't be buying them from Jared.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 PM

592 posts, read 1,807,512 times
Yeah, it is pretty sickening. It does remind me of some of the young women you see nowadays, though, sadly.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 PM

I've known ONE woman like that in my entire life. I got married young, at age 23. My husband and I were still in college and we were POOR.

First off, we'd been talking about marriage so when he did propose it was exciting but not a total shock - no screaming and jumping up and down, etc.

Second, he worked at the campus post office and I drove buses for the schools transit system (like Emory's Clif buses). Those were part-time jobs. We made something like $800/mo between us. I have no idea WHY we were thinking about getting married...call it youthful optimism. Anyway, I'd told him we should just forego the whole engagement ring thing and buy a computer because we both really needed one for our classes. He acted like he agreed but he went out and bought me an engagement ring anyway.

He bought it from Service Merchandice. It's a half carat and it has an inclusion in it that you can see with the naked eye. It cost him $700, which was a whole lot of money to us back then.

But I love that ring. That's the ring my husband gave me when he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. I wouldn't trade it for the world. And we've come so far that I love it even more because it shows part of our history...that part where we were so young and without much to our name.

Anyway, at the same time we got married my husband's childhood friend, who went to college with us, also asked HIS girlfriend to marry him. She said yes and he, like my husband, gave her a ring he couldn't really afford. It was much like mine.

This girl constantly complained about that ring and after a few years and they were both out of school and working she demanded an upgrade, which he gave her. No sentiment whatsoever there.

This couple is no longer married. He is now married to a very nice woman and they are expecting their first child. They paid for their own wedding and while modest, it was lovely. She understands that what's she's really getting is one of the sweetest, nicest, most loyal men on the planet.

(As an aside, they are an interracial couple...she's AA and he's a Sasquatch. I only mention that because interracial relationships are of interest on this forum. Also, I like calling him a Sasquatch and take every opportunity to make this interracial relationship joke...I am sooooo clever....)

Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 PM

690 posts, read 2,102,441 times
Haha..yeah, they are pretty stupid. But aren't all jewelry commercials? What's that other commercial with the shadows that always ends with "A diamond is forever"? Pathetic. Anybody who believes that crap has no imagination and probably believes everything they're told.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I've known ONE woman like that in my entire life. I got married young, at age 23. My husband and I were still in college and we were POOR.

First off, we'd been talking about marriage so when he did propose it was exciting but not a total shock - no screaming and jumping up and down, etc.

Second, he worked at the campus post office and I drove buses for the schools transit system (like Emory's Clif buses). Those were part-time jobs. We made something like $800/mo between us. I have no idea WHY we were thinking about getting married...call it youthful optimism. Anyway, I'd told him we should just forego the whole engagement ring thing and buy a computer because we both really needed one for our classes. He acted like he agreed but he went out and bought me an engagement ring anyway.

He bought it from Service Merchandice. It's a half carat and it has an inclusion in it that you can see with the naked eye. It cost him $700, which was a whole lot of money to us back then.

But I love that ring. That's the ring my husband gave me when he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. I wouldn't trade it for the world. And we've come so far that I love it even more because it shows part of our history...that part where we were so young and without much to our name.

Anyway, at the same time we got married my husband's childhood friend, who went to college with us, also asked HIS girlfriend to marry him. She said yes and he, like my husband, gave her a ring he couldn't really afford. It was much like mine.

This girl constantly complained about that ring and after a few years and they were both out of school and working she demanded an upgrade, which he gave her. No sentiment whatsoever there.

This couple is no longer married. He is now married to a very nice woman and they are expecting their first child. They paid for their own wedding and while modest, it was lovely. She understands that what's she's really getting is one of the sweetest, nicest, most loyal men on the planet.

(As an aside, they are an interracial couple...she's AA and he's a Sasquatch. I only mention that because interracial relationships are of interest on this forum. Also, I like calling him a Sasquatch and take every opportunity to make this interracial relationship joke...I am sooooo clever....)
Isn't Sasquatch another word for Bigfoot? Is that a race or a species?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Isn't Sasquatch another word for Bigfoot? Is that a race or a species?

Yes, it is, and it's a joke because my husband's childhood friend (after 14 years he's my friend, too, though) is 6'4", ~300lbs, and has a lot dark hair. He's actually a handsome guy but the Sasquatch thing started a long time ago after he went through a phase of sporting a beard. But he let that beard get all crazy and he started giving off this impression:

So.......he got a new nickname....

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,601,643 times
I don't like most jewelry commercials. I like jewelry very much, but I don't understand the consumerist mindset behind it. When my husband buys me a piece, I'm not interested in impressing others. I love the fact that he knows I like jewelry and bought me something he thought I would enjoy.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is, and it's a joke because my husband's childhood friend (after 14 years he's my friend, too, though) is 6'4", ~300lbs, and has a lot dark hair. He's actually a handsome guy but the Sasquatch thing started a long time ago after he went through a phase of sporting a beard. But he let that beard get all crazy and he started giving off this impression:

So.......he got a new nickname....
Hmm...okay, I get it. Anyhoo, I totally agree with you about the Jared commercials. I don't see the appeal of jewelry at all, to be honest. It annoys me to no end when girls with $12,000 rings act superior to girls with $1,000 rings....like whatever guy they're shacked up with loves them more because they spent more. It's so materialistic and shallow. If you want to show your love to someone, maybe buy them something that would impact their life. I don't know, like a trip to Australia or Japan. That would mean a whole lot more to me than a crappy rock.

Last edited by mjohnson4381; 05-08-2009 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta