Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 AM

85 posts, read 292,872 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I will be in mid-town Atlanta this week and are in need of some suggestions on a public course in the area. We're don't want anything expensive, and since we are beginners, we would like a course which isn't too challenging. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
There are 2 public courses near Midtown -- Candler Park (9-holes) and Charlie Yates (18 holes). Both are very close to each other. I am more golf fan than golfer (in fact, I've just started taking lessons and haven't actually played on either course) but I'd suggest Charlie Yates because it's next door to East Lake Golf Course (home of the annual PGA Tour Championship) and is maintained by East Lake. It's a Rees Jones design of Par 3s and 4s and was built in the past decade.

Atlanta Golf Courses - Charlie Yates Golf Course - Georgia, GA

Candler Park is an older municipal course:

Candler Park Golf Course - Atlanta, GA

Enjoy!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 130,877 times
Yes to those 2 courses for beginners! Candler is walking only (pull cart) and it's hard to pass up for $10.

A couple of keep in minds: Be well versed in guidelines for "Fast Play." I'm terrible but I keep moving so it is not an issue for everyone behind me. During the week there will probably be nobody behind you, so don't worry about it.

Secondly, because of Charlie Yates' proximity to a school there is no beer for sale in the clubhouse!

Enjoy!

Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM

269 posts, read 1,069,966 times
Bobby Jones is also, actually, quite convenient to Midtown and beginner-friendly. It's a straight shot up Northside Drive from 14th Street.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 64,516 times
For casualness, value, and relaxed pace of play though, I'd say you can't beat Candler Park for beginners. Charlie Yates and Bobby Jones are both great, but I'd wait until you're a little more comfortable playing otherwise you'll feel rushed and/or the holes will be too challenging. Also, most of the holes at Candler Park are par 3s, so it'll be a lot easier for beginners.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 AM

85 posts, read 292,872 times
Default Thanks for your suggestions!

My daughter and I played the Yates course last Thursday. No need for tee time and we were not rushed since those behind us played even slower than we did. We enjoyed the course design and the greens were in great shape. Thanks again for the recommendation!

During our trip, we also took in the King Tut exhibit, High Museum, and the Cyclorama (and several good restaurants). Atlanta's a great town!

Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: