Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendzy39 View Post
Kelley,JXU,and LastMinuteMOM.
Thank you soooooo much for the advice. I will definitely look for jobs first then will probably get an appartment before I buy a home. However, the only problem that I have is that, I am still in NJ and sending my resume to several companies, will they even consider looking at my resume with NJ address and phone number?

friendzy
I received a couple of callbacks when I was still in Jersey actually but not too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
Long distance job hunting is tougher that in town job hunting. Because many companies do not want to deal with people far away, pay moving expenses, pay for travel for interviews etc. But it is doable.

I've done it several times. Once it took me almost a year, a couple of other times it took me about 4 months or so. They key is networking, networking and more networking. You have to talk to everyone you know, put your feelers out, send out tons of resumes and call some of the recruiters and start establishing relationships.

I have used my professional associations also. Job hunting is always work and an exercise in rejection. You must be mentally prepared and long distance job hunting is even harder.

One other avenue some people take and that is to move and work contract if you are in a field where there is lots of consulting and contracting work too.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 PM

59 posts, read 348,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendzy39 View Post
I am still in NJ and sending my resume to several companies, will they even consider looking at my resume with NJ address and phone number?
That's a tough situation to be in, I am fortunate that I work for a company that has an office in Alpharetta and was able to transfer down there.

That seems to be a common theme - I know of others who have moved from NJ to GA and they transferred down. I assume your company does not have offices in GA.

Do you know people in the area? Work your network if they work for IT companies or companies that have an IT department. I'm in IT project management, I would be more than happy to submit your resume to my company.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 PM

81 posts, read 249,390 times
BobKovaks; Also from NJ; I have ruled out NC (first choice for along time but I am unhappy with the school situation so I am concentrating now on Georgia. Houses look phenomenal for the price Harmony looks fantastic; can you give me an idea on what's outside the community (shopping, etc)? Being from NJ and I haven't visited Ga yet, it's obviously hard to picture. I do have to move next spring and am looking to vist Canton area in November. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:32 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howds View Post
BobKovaks; Also from NJ; I have ruled out NC (first choice for along time but I am unhappy with the school situation so I am concentrating now on Georgia. Houses look phenomenal for the price Harmony looks fantastic; can you give me an idea on what's outside the community (shopping, etc)? Being from NJ and I haven't visited Ga yet, it's obviously hard to picture. I do have to move next spring and am looking to vist Canton area in November. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Well, about 2 miles down the road from the north entrance to Harmony is the intersection of Hwy 140 and Cherokee Drive. There are shopping centers on 3 corners, with fast food, a supermarket, CVS, Walgreens, Blockbuster, Tractor Supply, etc. There are some small shops (drycleaners, etc) right at the north entrance, and some planned for the south entrance.

A few miles from the south entrance (3-4), there's a large shopping center under construction that will have a Home Depot. If you hop on Interstate 575 (around 5 miles from Harmony), you can be at virtually any shopping you need in less than 10 miles, and Altanta's always available 40 minutes away (in non-rush hours).

The really cool thing about the development, unlike alot of others, is that its in a highly rural area, and there's no plans on the books for any other developments nearby at the moment. Both entrances are served by two-lane roads (though parts of 140 near the north entrance are being widened to 4 lanes), and there's still tons of farms all around- my kids love seeing cows and horses on the way to the library....lol. There's still a Mom and Pop gas station/general store down the road, and a local music store with a white-bearded old guy who sits on a rocking chair on the front porch selling tie-dyed shirts on Saturdays. Downtown Canton is around 8 miles away, and has a nice theater and some "Main Street" shopping, as well as some nice old homes.

We love the fact that if we didn't have to visit our friends in Buckhead, go to the airport, or go to the one project I'm involved with in downtown Atlanta (I go there less than once a week), you wouldn't even know that Atlanta was there. We've got a brand new home in a great development, with everything we need relatively close by, while still being able to sit on the back deck and look out at the mountains.

Bob

Bob

Last edited by BobKovacs; 08-28-2007 at 03:57 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks Bob. I have a son that wouold be entering high school in 2008. Are there many kids around??

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Hello everyone,
We are looking to relocate to the buford area fron NJ, our children 13yr old girl, 6yr old boy, I want opinion on the schools, the area that I am looking at is buford I am not too familiar with GA, Is this a good school district, I know that homes and Taxes are cheap, But how are the jobs? Most of my experience is in office work "admistrative". If I had to take a job at a mall what can I expect to get payed while I scout a job suitable.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks Bob. I have a son that wouold be entering high school in 2008. Are there many kids around??
There's tons of kids around, both in Harmony and in the neighboring areas. There's a high school around a mile and a half from the south entrance (though it's not the one that Harmony's kids go to), and a brand new high school (which Harmony's kids do go to) a few miles away.

Bob

Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Bob, Harmony kids go to Creekview, correct? Is it brand new as in 2007? If not Creekview, which HS do the Harmony kids attend? Thanks for your help. Bill

Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Bob, Harmony kids go to Creekview, correct? Is it brand new as in 2007? If not Creekview, which HS do the Harmony kids attend? Thanks for your help. Bill
Yes- I'm pretty sure they're going to Holly Springs ES, Teasley MS, and Creeview HS (at least today....lol), even though the website still lists Creekland MS and Cherokee HS. Hickory Flat ES and Sequoyah MS/HS are actually just down the road (closer than Creekview), but the kids don't go there.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta