U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,476 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in Marietta (West Cobb) but need to relocate since he works in Peachtree City. I will more than likely end up working in Atlanta, so we are trying to find a good split. We have been looking most recently into Union City, specifically Oakley Township. We are in our early 20s and don't want children (so we aren't worried about the schools in the area).

Can anyone offer any insight into this area? If you don't think this is a good place to live, can you offer any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 PM

147 posts, read 457,963 times
School??????? No one goes to school on the south side. All jokes aside, if you can help it, stay out the south side all together. Union City is too close to Old National Highway (College Park) and the crime rate over there is sky high. You might be tempted to get a town house or even a single family home because of the low cost (or for that matter an apartment thats dirt cheap) but I beg you DONT DO IT. Union City is not what it use to be 10 years ago (trust me, I know, I lived there and was working at the Airport). I actually just moved from College Park (Union City's next door neighbor) and when the children went to school, I never saw them carry any books. That alone told me that school on "that" side of town was just a day care for parents who stayed at home making MORE babies! (but since you dont want kids, that really should not matter to you) I live in Sandy Springs now (Peachtree Dunwoody Rd) The MARTA comes right to my doorstep (which is considered North Atlanta). If you have to live on the Southside due to work, try Fayetteville (and not Fayetteville Rd either). I promised myself that I would "sound the alarm" and tell anyone moving in this city to stay clear of anything BELOW 20. My roomate and I are so ashamed of the fact that we lived down there, when people ask us where we moved from, we tell them South Georgia. No lie. When you say Riverdale, Union City or College Park, immediately people know you live in the hood. Granted, there are some nice homes down there, but uh, where you gonna grocery shop? Wayfield food where spoiled meat is being sold. Oh, perhaps the super walmart where there are 50 lanes and only 3 lanes are open (and 2 of the 3 lanes are cash only no credit or debit cards with 20 items or less). Get real!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT DO IT! And if any one begs to differ, I dare you to turn on the news and see how much crime is down there on "that" side of town. Oh and stay clear of all the pit bulls down there. It seems there is a breeding festival going on and when it gets warm the thugs come out with their white tank tops, pants falling off their behind, one hand holding their shorts up and the other hand holding the leash that their pit bull is on. Its a crying shame.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM

293 posts, read 717,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
School??????? No one goes to school on the south side. All jokes aside, if you can help it, stay out the south side all together. Union City is too close to Old National Highway (College Park) and the crime rate over there is sky high. You might be tempted to get a town house or even a single family home because of the low cost (or for that matter an apartment thats dirt cheap) but I beg you DONT DO IT. Union City is not what it use to be 10 years ago (trust me, I know, I lived there and was working at the Airport). I actually just moved from College Park (Union City's next door neighbor) and when the children went to school, I never saw them carry any books. That alone told me that school on "that" side of town was just a day care for parents who stayed at home making MORE babies! (but since you dont want kids, that really should not matter to you) I live in Sandy Springs now (Peachtree Dunwoody Rd) The MARTA comes right to my doorstep (which is considered North Atlanta). If you have to live on the Southside due to work, try Fayetteville (and not Fayetteville Rd either). I promised myself that I would "sound the alarm" and tell anyone moving in this city to stay clear of anything BELOW 20. My roomate and I are so ashamed of the fact that we lived down there, when people ask us where we moved from, we tell them South Georgia. No lie. When you say Riverdale, Union City or College Park, immediately people know you live in the hood. Granted, there are some nice homes down there, but uh, where you gonna grocery shop? Wayfield food where spoiled meat is being sold. Oh, perhaps the super walmart where there are 50 lanes and only 3 lanes are open (and 2 of the 3 lanes are cash only no credit or debit cards with 20 items or less). Get real!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT DO IT! And if any one begs to differ, I dare you to turn on the news and see how much crime is down there on "that" side of town. Oh and stay clear of all the pit bulls down there. It seems there is a breeding festival going on and when it gets warm the thugs come out with their white tank tops, pants falling off their behind, one hand holding their shorts up and the other hand holding the leash that their pit bull is on. Its a crying shame.
I agree with you on most things...however...everything south of I-20 is not bad. There are areas of Sandy Springs and Roswell that are getting just like the areas you repulse, so let's keep the blanket statements to a minimum. Don't let your bad experiences in a particular area label an ENTIRE region. Come on.

No, I would not recommend Union City, but, there are very desirable places with low crime close to Peachtree City. Why not move to Peachtree City? Top notch schools. Other areas of low crime close to the vicinity are Fairburn (where I live and I haven't gotten shot up, I'm single, and just turned thirty), Fayetteville, even Sharpsburg (an area close to Peachtree City and Newnan). Even Tyrone, Georgia is nice.

So everything south of I-20 is not bad. Just remember, WE can go north if we want to. Heck, I could have told you to steer clear of certain areas of College Park and Union City. I guess that's why you have to do your research before you move.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Well dang, tell us how you REALLY feel!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,116,718 times
You could try Fairburn, Tyrone, Peachtree city, Riverdale(which isnt that bad btw)

Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,476 times
Thank you all for your feedback.

I don't want to live in Peachtree City, because it is too far from the expressway and downtown Atlanta.

I have checked out Fairburn, but there is nothing to do there and the nearest grocery store isn't as close as I would like.

Like I said, my boyfriend and I are looking for a good split between Atlanta and PTC. I would like this location to have the modern conveniences close by (grocery store, gas station, food, etc.). And this location must be close to the expressway.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,116,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganP View Post

I don't want to live in Peachtree City, because it is too far from the expressway and downtown Atlanta.

I have checked out Fairburn, but there is nothing to do there and the nearest grocery store isn't as close as I would like.

Like I said, my boyfriend and I are looking for a good split between Atlanta and PTC. I would like this location to have the modern conveniences close by (grocery store, gas station, food, etc.). And this location must be close to the expressway.
Fairburn and Union City are right down the street from each other but worlds apart. If you live in Fairburn especially near S fulton Parkway you can go to Publix or Walmart or Kroger(even though this kroger is kind of crummy). if you could live in Union City Fairburn is definitely doable and maybe a better fit for you.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM

235 posts, read 542,787 times
Fairburn probably has a lower crime rate than that of Union City. I would chose a rental closer to Fairburn honestly. Union City is going through a very rough time right now. You probably can find some rentals that are easy access to I-85. I would definitely rent before considering buying anything in that area.

I would also maybe look at Hapeville, too, but the airport noise maybe a bit too much. Much of the area has been improving in recent years.

And no, not everything below I-20 is awful. That is a very old line, usually said by people who do not even venture to the south side of Atlanta.

Last edited by mmenomen; 05-21-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 AM

293 posts, read 717,068 times
Quote:

What about Fayetteville? And what part of Fairburn were you looking at? Fairburn is convenient to locations that have "things to do." If you were looking at Union City (particularly Oakley Industrial), Fairburn is close to the expressway, Union City (with less crime), and it's still convenient to a lot of other places with shopping.

If you are looking for places close to Peachtree City with low crime with close proximity to the expressway, Fairburn, Tyrone, and Fayetteville are your best bets.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:29 AM

2,133 posts, read 4,054,891 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I currently live in Marietta (West Cobb) but need to relocate since he works in Peachtree City. I will more than likely end up working in Atlanta, so we are trying to find a good split. We have been looking most recently into Union City, specifically Oakley Township. We are in our early 20s and don't want children (so we aren't worried about the schools in the area).

Can anyone offer any insight into this area? If you don't think this is a good place to live, can you offer any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Hysteria aside, you should look into Downtown College Park, Downtown East Point, or Hapeville. All three cities have been gentrifying and undergoing revitalization. Downtown College Park is especially nice with several nice restaurants and a few laid-back bars (my favorite being the Brake Pad with its patio ) Also Woodward Academy is on the edge of Downtown College Park, which is very beneficial since the area surrounding it is comprised of rennovated historic homes. The MARTA station is also right downtown, which would be inmeasurably great should you land a job in Atlanta near a MARTA line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta