Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 AM

13 posts, read 29,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Ever since the corporate power structure became aware of the rap/hip hop genre(s), it's been steadily going down the tubes. Now it seems that the culture of "gangsta rap" has taken on a life of its own. Maybe it speaks to the issue that there are a significant group of people who needs to belong to something, people who needs some sort of affirmation that they matter, at least to each other. Indians have their Hinduism and assorting practices & the Irish have their St Patrick's day...

So what do us black folks have? What unique cultural practices outside of rap & pigfeet affirms our identity & binds us closely together? Because it seems like we are missing something...

Anyone that boils down the totality of the Black experience to rap music and pigs feet needs to read a book. In fact please read several. Yes, other non-Black cultures seem to have more hoildays and such, but one has to remember that these cultures are thousands of years older than that of the African American culture. In addition, the African American culture has in some ways been estranged from the African portion of that culture. We did not immigrate as many white ethnic cultures did. And while aculturation has taken place in all ethnic cultures, both Black and white, the Black culture has been taught to deny the African part of us.

Only a small portion of the Black community celebrates Kwanza. Most don't even know what Juneteenth is. How many people actually attend a MLK celebration? We do need more uniquely African American celebrations, but we need to truely embrace our history first. Many Blacks don't want to learn about slavery because it is such a negative and racially devisive topic. For young Blacks the civil rights era is old and irrelevant.

Will we ever have an American Black culture that is parallel to that of European cultures? Probably not. As more and more of my friends enter interracial marriages and American pop culture infiltrates every area of our lives, the task of maintaining a salient Black culture becomes more and more difficult. JMO.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonvf View Post
Will we ever have an American Black culture that is parallel to that of European cultures? Probably not. As more and more of my friends enter interracial marriages and American pop culture infiltrates every area of our lives, the task of maintaining a salient Black culture becomes more and more difficult. JMO.
We already have a recognizable identity--no matter what other critics say. We do have a unique and distinct dialect (yes African American Vernacular English or Black English is a distinct spoken dialect), we do have a unique history, we do have our music and cuisine, and we do have unique customs in regards to religion, family structure, and values. Even as we intermarry, our culture will still survive and aspects will be passed down because it's an American culture; and it's important that everyone remembers that.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,300 times
The Obama's in the white house.
We don't have anything else. We lost black love on so many levels and it seems like for all our education, entrepreneurship, and black association meetings we are rapidly back peddlin.
Overpopulated jails with african american males, 70% of black women unwed mothers, and our per capita income is a joke compared to others.................BUT
If we reclaim our morals/standards as we once had with religion being our backbone to carry on, make good decisions about our lives and futures, and partner/marry with like minded people we can turn this stuff around on so many levels. The trickle down effect would be monumental.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Kwanzaa?

/... shrug.

I dunno what us Scots have, either (except bagpipes, which suck, and haggis, which is disgusting, and men wearing plaid skirts, which is just... weird).

I want to switch to being Italian. They're supposed to be the best lovers.
Or maybe Mexican. They have the best food.

Why no leave all the insults and complaints about our heritage to the professionals ?

I happen to like all kinds of food and peoples, but I still like mine the best and very proud of my ancsters .

Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
We already have a recognizable identity--no matter what other critics say. We do have a unique and distinct dialect (yes African American Vernacular English or Black English is a distinct spoken dialect), we do have a unique history, we do have our music and cuisine, and we do have unique customs in regards to religion, family structure, and values. Even as we intermarry, our culture will still survive and aspects will be passed down because it's an American culture; and it's important that everyone remembers that.

I agree ,too much to try to hold onto 300 years of cultures . We are all Americans now and should never put any other name in front of that ,imo.

I know in my white cuture we had all kinds of bard age habits that shouldn't be repeated . I eel that is true for most .

Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
We don't have anything else. We lost black love on so many levels and it seems like for all our education, entrepreneurship, and black association meetings we are rapidly back peddlin.
Overpopulated jails with african american males, 70% of black women unwed mothers, and our per capita income is a joke compared to others.................BUT
If we reclaim our morals/standards as we once had with religion being our backbone to carry on, make good decisions about our lives and futures, and partner/marry with like minded people we can turn this stuff around on so many levels. The trickle down effect would be monumental.
Too many hold down the black man with half truths and lies . Keep the good things about your people and let go the bad .

This goes for all of us . We are becoming more divided than ever and we all lose in long run .

Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
I remember being told there would never be a black president but here we are, yes I know he is mixed race but he looks more black than white, he is also very impressive to my mind, he speaks exceptionally well, it is a pure pleasure to listen to him.

On the other side of the coin, black popular culture seems to think the concept of "baby mammas" and shooting folk to be good things to aspire to at the moment, these things being glamorized by tv and music.

The extremes are poles apart.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
I just want to bagre in an say this is the type of thread I wish we had in the P&OC forum.

If I may chime in here and say that I think African-Americans need to love themselves more and need to nuture and cherish that love to the future generations. I'm mixed, and I love learning about Soul Food, Rythym & Blues, Black roles in history & entertainment.

It's sad though that here in Philly, so many young AAs don't look like they love themselves deep down inside. Too many let what white people think define who they are. Weither it's thuggin to impress white chicks, or shaving/altering your natural hair as to not cause waves in the office, or to stressing out about "Where to Move" on the many regional subforums, concerned over "what will our white neighbors think"?

No, I wasn't rasied that way. I was told from day one that I was handsome and capable (....well....maybe not so handsome.....). Even though my Black father decided to bounce, my mom taught me and sis that we were just as much god's children as people who looked like her, and that as a man, she would not tolerate me speaking poor language or shortchanging myself becuase of "race".

IMHO, Black culture needs to rekindle that fire that says "I am a Man" and believes that we can achieve what we want. That doesn't mean letting any sort of racism slide, but it means keeping prespective and knowing strength comes from within. And it's self-love that will also help bring more Black men back into fatherhood, becuase in my view, fatherlessness is the result of Black men being rasied to not believe in the potential of themselves, and therefore the potential of their children.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I just want to bagre in an say this is the type of thread I wish we had in the P&OC forum.

If I may chime in here and say that I think African-Americans need to love themselves more and need to nuture and cherish that love to the future generations. I'm mixed, and I love learning about Soul Food, Rythym & Blues, Black roles in history & entertainment.

It's sad though that here in Philly, so many young AAs don't look like they love themselves deep down inside. Too many let what white people think define who they are. Weither it's thuggin to impress white chicks, or shaving/altering your natural hair as to not cause waves in the office, or to stressing out about "Where to Move" on the many regional subforums, concerned over "what will our white neighbors think"?

No, I wasn't rasied that way. I was told from day one that I was handsome and capable (....well....maybe not so handsome.....). Even though my Black father decided to bounce, my mom taught me and sis that we were just as much god's children as people who looked like her, and that as a man, she would not tolerate me speaking poor language or shortchanging myself becuase of "race".

IMHO, Black culture needs to rekindle that fire that says "I am a Man" and believes that we can achieve what we want. That doesn't mean letting any sort of racism slide, but it means keeping prespective and knowing strength comes from within. And it's self-love that will also help bring more Black men back into fatherhood, becuase in my view, fatherlessness is the result of Black men being rasied to not believe in the potential of themselves, and therefore the potential of their children.

Good point ,except for the ' African-American ' part . You can't be African American nless you have dual citizenship of both nations ,which I doubt.

The biggest problem with black men are other black men who use them to get powerful and rich off their suffering . Until some black man in power tells them to be more responsible for their actions it will never change .

I think [ unless he changed after election, like most do ] that Alan keys could have been good for us all . Then again the liberals in power who get rich off immorality would have become more militant .

Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM

178 posts, read 618,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Good point ,except for the ' African-American ' part . You can't be African American nless you have dual citizenship of both nations ,which I doubt.
Hah this is so true. It's really just a word for "your skin is darker then white and it's not spanish so you must be African American". It's funny when an "African American" mistakes hispanic people for "African American's" just because they are "black". I see it quite often. And they simply get corrected with a "no I'm puerto rican" or "I'm hispanic". This is why I'm careful when I call someone by race. I hate how the U.S. is. Other countries don't identify you by skin color. Your become identified by the country you live. You are proud to be a part of that country and not because of what color skin you were born with.

I'm not proud to be white and if I was black I wouldn't have black pride either. I'm proud to be American.

Being proud of your skin color is racist. White pride is bad, but black pride isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta