U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,549,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I realize this is veering off-topic, but this is too much to not respond to.

First of all, I don't know where you live now, but "illegals" don't vote - not around here, anyway. Secondly, latinos voted with their conscience, as did liberal, moderate and some disenchanted conservative whites.

I suspect you have been listening to too much talk radio.

We go off subject, so check on immigration site for this .

Maybe blacks should just worry about American culture where they live now . It seems to me that it was African culture that they should avoid according what happens there now .

Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM

755 posts, read 2,034,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Since this sideline conversation seems to be taking over, I'll chime in to say this post manages to offend me mightily in a short space.

1. What proof do you have of voting by any non-citizen? I'd like to see it.

2. It's simply illogical and insulting to impugn the motives of voters who favored a different candidate than you did.

This kind of argumentation doesn't give a good impression of the intellectual level of Republican voters.
Pappy is speaking for Pappy noone else.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM

68 posts, read 156,149 times
Quote:
Well, in a country where the black population is around 12.8% of the total, Obama's election throws this theory right out the window.
She didn't say blacks voted for him. She said "race" was why people didn't vote for the white man. This means many white people voted for him because they wanted to be open minded or prove that they were. Many blacks voted for him because he is "black". I still can't understand this because he is half white. I would never vote for anyone because they are black/white/hispanic....male/female.......straight/gay...Voting is (or used to be at least thought) too important to waste it on trivia and non-issues.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM

178 posts, read 538,368 times
Quote:
Interesting theory. I consider Sarah Palin to be more of a valid reason, but hey - that's just me.

Sorry for going off-topic folks.
Then she probably would of won if your theory was a valid reason. Now wouldn't she of? Palin didn't attract the youth. She didn't attract many women either. Just old men.

I'm brancing out a new thread.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,695,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yeah, but I doubt very seriously that most of those young people you see are getting fat off homemade peach cobbler. Most of them are getting sick from eating too much fast food and the like. Most soul food is too time consuming to cook every day. For peach cobbler you have to peel the peaches, then make a crust from scratch. Most people today can't be bothered. Soul food is something we ate in our household at the most once a week, and it doesn't have to be fattening or unhealthy. My collard greens are to die for and they're not full of lard. Collards and turnips are loaded with nutrients, anti-oxidants and beta carotene. As long as you cook them in a healthy manner, they're very good for you. Mine are so good they'll make you slap yourself.
Oooh, girl. Invite me to Sunday dinner. Pretty please?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM

13,597 posts, read 22,049,121 times
Quote:
This is just a little bit too simplistic for me.

I find race relations in this metropolis to be far superior to most large U.S. cities, ESPECIALLY the white/black dynamic.

I don't think I am alone in this line of thinking.

You are not alone.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 AM

371 posts, read 1,416,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw740er View Post
She didn't say blacks voted for him. She said "race" was why people didn't vote for the white man. This means many white people voted for him because they wanted to be open minded or prove that they were. Many blacks voted for him because he is "black". I still can't understand this because he is half white. I would never vote for anyone because they are black/white/hispanic....male/female.......straight/gay...Voting is (or used to be at least thought) too important to waste it on trivia and non-issues.
Hopefully there were more reasons than that, like not wanting a guy who may die of old age while in office, leaving the country at the mercy of a crazy woman from the north.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,416,491 times
Or even, voting for a well speaking and obviously intelligent man who had a chance of doing some good for the country regardless of his skin color.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,449,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Plenty of Rappers ARE white... to name but a few:
  • 3rd Bass
  • A.K.
  • Aesop Rock
  • Anybody Killa
  • Apathy
  • Atmosphere
  • Beastie Boys
  • Beefy
  • Benefit
  • Big B
  • Blaze Ya Dead Homie
  • Brian Austin Green
  • Brooks Buford
  • Bubba Sparxxx
  • Buck 65
  • Cage
  • Classified
  • Colton Grundy
  • Company Flow
  • Copywrite
  • Cunninlynguists (one white and one black member in the duo)
  • D-Mat
  • E.C. Illa
  • El-P
  • Eminem
  • Everlast
  • Eyedea
  • Fred Durst
  • Goldie Lookin' Chain
  • Hangar 18
  • Haystak
  • Hilltop Hoods
  • House of Pain
  • Ill Bill
  • Insane Clown Posse
  • Irish Toothache
  • Jamie Madrox
  • Joe Scudda
  • John Cena
  • Jon Lofto
  • Judge D
  • Jumpsteady
  • Lil Wyte
  • LoopTroop
  • Mad Child
  • mc chris
  • Matisyahu
  • MC Frontalot
  • MC Lars
  • MC Paul Barman
  • MC Serch
  • Mike Shinoda
  • Mcenroe
  • Monoxide Child
  • Mr. Hyde
  • Necro
  • Non Phixion
  • Paul Murdoch CMF
  • Paul Wall
  • Pete Nice
  • Q-Strange
  • R.A. the Rugged Man
  • Rehab
  • Remedy
  • Rob Sonic
  • Ryu (of "Stlyes of Beyond")
  • Sage Francis
  • Sean Boog
  • Sin
  • Shaggy 2 Dope
  • Skawtty Superscript
  • Skinnyman
  • Sole
  • The Streets
  • Twiztid
  • Ugly Duckling
  • Vanilla Ice
  • Vinnie Paz
  • Violent J
  • Vishiss
  • Young Black Teenagers [not a typo - YBT = 4 white guys and a Puerto Rican]
  • YTcracker
HA, Ha, Ha, Haaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Does that answer Bruce Willis's question??
I was walking down South Street in Philly one night, everything was mellow then suddenly "CHAOS". About 2000 teens & young adults (some looked middle aged) were running through the street tearing things up,and some their faces painted like clowns & KISS members.

They screamed, cussed, turned over trash cans, held up traffic, broke out windows, beat a few innocent kids, etc; until the PPD took action.

There were only a few arrest, the next morning I did not read one thing about it in the papers or see it on tv. If it was a 50 cent show & another group of concert goers I "truly believe" there would've been more arrest & surely some heads cracked & plenty of news media.

As it turns out Insane Clown Posse's crowd is always like that & they pull that stuff from town to town.. These rappers just haven't been put out on front street like the 50's Jay-Z's, etc.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,449,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Whenever I hear people saying "why can't blacks just assimilate into our society like the Irish, the Italians, the.... have done" I want to ask that person what he/she has done to help black Americans assimilate into our society. In what was has he/she accepted black men - not only the already successful black man who has "kissed ass" and learned to "whitewash" himself to adapt to the rules of the game and find acceptance in corporate America - but also the ordinary black man who just want to hold down an honest job and live his life in peace. The ordinary black man who doesn't want to play the game of assimilating to white, corporate, America? When will that man be accepted as he is?

The truth of the matter is, Black Americans typically have to "prove themselves" to white America on a case-by-case basis. If they are given a chance they are watched closely - the first time they "slip up", that's it - the trial period is over and they have failed.

I saw this first hand when my husband and I split up for three years. White friends and family who had previously, seemingly, been accepting of the fact I'd married a black man, were now saying to me "he's just like all the rest of them." I got so mad ! Seriously, what white man has to take always be walking the straight and narrow path every day of his life? Can't a black man just be HUMAN onice in awhile, can't he make mistakes or go through a period of depression just like everyone else?

From what I heard and saw, I don't think so... as soon as the black man screws up in this society, he is suddenly bearing the burden of the legacy of the color of his skin in a country where black men were once considered to be the property/livestock of the white man!

Before my husband and I split up I didn't really think his skin color was all that big of a deal... after we split up I learned just what people we had around us on a regular basis REALLY thought of him, it's amazing what people will say when they think you are done with the guy for good! Nevermind the fact you still have 4 children with this guy! Nevermind the fact your CHILDREN are black! Geez!

And yes, economic and educational advantages do play a role in why black in America have not come to the point of being on an even playing ground with "mainstream American society"... but the deep seated prejudices play an even bigger role in keeping the black man down in this society.

I wanted to strangle the TV tonight... Rush Limbaugh's show was being aired and discussion on either CNN or MSNBC. Rush was calling Obama and his nominee for the Supreme Court "reverse racists"... he paused to say, "Liberals would say minorities cannot be racists, because you have to be in power to be a racist - well in this day and age, the miniorities ARE in the ones in power and they are racists against the white man." Blah, blah, blah....

Baloney! Obama won the Presidency because he is ABOVE AND BEYOND qualified, Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor is ABOVE AND BEYOND qualified for the seat to which Obama has nominated her...

When miniorities, especially blacks, do not have to be something way above and beyond any white guy in the running for a position, THEN we can say our country has made significant progress.

I believe it will be AT LEAST another century before we are at that point in our society. Folks, we didn't get here overnight!
I Like YOU...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or