U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM

80 posts, read 48,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
LMAO I know right...everytime I tell some ppl I hate collard green and watermelon I get ppl asking what type of black person am I. And I reply the kind that doesnt like collard greens and watermelon.
That makes sense. This reminds me of the southern black northern black topic.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
OMG!!You did it now!!LOL!!Watch out their gonna eat you alive!!LOL.What next ,you gonna talk about "weave"?LOL!
Now Im cool with the Koreans hustle over our women. The tired black man topic gave me a better understanding why black women are the angriest of all women, so I just except it and go with the flow. Its all peace, love and green lantern shirts on my end.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's interesting that the "weave" was brought up. I would also throw in colored eye contacts & blond wigs. So many of the sistas that I've had conversations with insist that because black men going to white women in droves(which I DO NOT see, and JET magazine proves that on a weekly basis) that they are forced to TRY to look like white women.

Yet, I do not know of anyone who has married a black woman just because they wore these heavy weaves, colored contacts & blond wigs. Usually it's because of simple things like cheeriness, good nature, great homekeeping, and all the other things that make life worth living. But then again it is just my experience. Does anybody else have something to add?

And by add, I mean in a constructive, none-insulting way WITHOUT the ad hominem personal attacks. Am I asking for too much?
I know a lot of that stuff is fake. But I still compliment them on how great they look, even when they don't look that great. Weave, wings, eye contacts, fake teeth, tattoos, 7 piercings per ear, hey whatever is clever. The more they do for compliments the easier I am to my ultimate goal, so it is cool they do those things. No doubt

Old 05-21-2009, 11:02 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,913,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalpatineJones View Post
I know a lot of that stuff is fake. But I still compliment them on how great they look, even when they don't look that great. Weave, wings, eye contacts, fake teeth, tattoos, 7 piercings per ear, hey whatever is clever. The more they do for compliments the easier I am to my ultimate goal, so it is cool they do those things. No doubt
The ultimate goal would be?wink..wink.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I'll have to check with the African American culture Gods but you seem to be authentic in my book!

My motivation for asking this question about what passes for African American culture was based off the the real-life events like the murder of Dolla, the election of Barack Obama, black male/black female relations and other things that are too numerous to name. I just wondered what exactly it is that binds us black folks together and why those bindings don't seem to be holding a lot of us together as of late, at least not to my satisfaction.

But nevertheless, I am grateful for the responses I have gotten so far, and if my response is the last one, so be it. I just hope that there are others like myself who are just as concern about where our culture seems to be taking us.
Honestly I think what binds us together is history and/or the color of our skin....outside of that we seperate ourselves by social class.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,783,008 times
whatever is on mtv/bet. Dont like it? Teach your children otherwise because thats what they think it equals to!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 PM

51 posts, read 80,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Honestly I think what binds us together is history and/or the color of our skin....outside of that we seperate ourselves by social class.
I agree with YBF, but my response to the original question would have to spirituality.

I share a great spiritual bond with my fellow Atlanteans, and others who share my ethnicity and heritage. Not to say that this is not possible with those of other races, but it's just a different feeling when you and another person have ancestors who share a certain history.

It's just really powerful in a way.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM

927 posts, read 1,868,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
True indeed and Well said. Well said...

Now if only our youth could recognize this. A colleague of mine told me how a popular black radio personality (from 107.9) told them that on "off peak" hours, the DJ has the freedom to play a variety of hip-hop ranging from Mos Def, to Common, to Lupe, to Kanye, to Nas, Jill Scott, Badu, etc... (whether they do is up to them and what people request).

But during peak hours (after school on weekdays and weekend nights), they are forced to play the most gangsta, pro crack-selling, women- abusing, violent, mind-numbing, sexual/money-oriented songs out (usually by wayward local artists). He said that they are mandated by their bosses (who are mandated by their non-black bosses) not to deviate from the selected "pistol-popping, ***** mongering, killa crack slangin'" rotation during peak hours or they would be seriously reprimanded.

Also, how can kids request the good stuff, if they don't even know it exists? This is why many are abandoning rap altogether and getting more into rock, etc. Most of today's young don't even know who the Dungeon Family is...

What do you think we can do about this series of events?
These posts about the corporate structure are all right on point. I've studied this aspect of the media in depth, and one thing we can do, simply is start owning these media outlets and controlling the market.

One poster mentioned that an element of Blackness is our "coolness." However contrived that may seem, there is an aspect of our culture that is indeed trend setting, as we are a very creative people. I believe that if we owned more of these outlets and controlled how we're represented, the market would follow. So if we promoted more of the Mos Defs and Commons of the world and made it "cool" please believe the young folks who love hip-hop would continue buying.

We have to start thinking about positions of power, because those are the positions that frame the world. Y'know being the CEO or Chairman of the Board or Founder. We are so quick to hop on whatever white institution exists out of school because starting our own thing is difficult, but without owning these resources, we are left being reactionary. But framing our thinking in a way that is focused on having power and access to power, and then doing something positive with that power, is what we can do to make things change!

Last edited by bizchick86; 05-22-2009 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 AM

574 posts, read 1,633,792 times
We have to start thinking about positions of power, because those are the positions that frame the world. Y'know being the CEO or Chairman of the Board or Founder. We are so quick to hop on whatever white institution exists out of school because starting our own thing is difficult, but without owning these resources, we are left being reactionary. But framing our thinking in a way that is focused on having power and access to power, and then doing something positive with that power, is what we can do to make things change![/quote]

True indeed. One reason I admire Atlanta so much is because you have so many blacks doing their own thing here, which makes it unique compared to other metropolitan areas with large black populations.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:10 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,732,745 times
So I suppose the dubbing of Atlanta as America's Black Proffesional Mecca WASN'T hype as some have suggested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or