Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Based on the results you've seen on every other thread here that's even remotely related to race, do you really expect to get a quality response? I give it 24 hours (probably less) before someone says something stupid to get the thread closed.....
LOL, I was thinking the same. But so far, so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
4. Coolness - black people do everything cool. The way we dress, wear our hair, drink lemonade, clip our toenails, pay taxes. No other people have as much flavor as black Americans.
Please show me how you clip your toenails and drink lemonade. Please show me a YouTube video, I'd love to see.

Quote:
Gangsta rap is NOT black culture, that is American culture. A lot of Americans like to hear violent rap lyrics, along with violent movies, violent books & magazines, Soap Operas, UFC & boxing, Flavor of Luv, the local news, etc. Americans like violence & drama; that is what sells. (Plus, there aren't enough black youth to help 50 Cent sell 12 million copies).
That's what gangsta rap does, it sells records, and these big record companies and their other media counterparts exploit that. That's why they flood the market with it, and that is what people are exposed to the most. If you only watch BET, MTV, and VH1 you begin to think that gangsta rap is what hip hop is all about, because that is all you see. They don't let other subgenres of hip hop in the door.
As real hip hop lovers know, the most respectable artists are underground artist that don't have major deals, and don't have their record being played every hour on the radio.
Record companies don't care about substance in music, they care about money.

And too many people trust their kids to television. You are not witnessing a culture of gangsta rap, but a culture of puppetry. Everything the gangsta rappers on television do, the kids (& some grown folks) emulate. If Lil Wayne, T.I., and Plies started wearing pink dresses, guess what? Pink dresses are now Gangsta.

I know some people may say "that would never happen." If you wore tight pants a few years ago, they'd call you a *** or lame. Thanks to Lil Wayne, look at the young hip hop kids in your community today.

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/95...0.399x600.jpeg

Very good post. Well thought out. . That Lil Wayne picture makes him look like a f'ing troll...Ghetto troll

Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
why can't black culture=american culture in vice versa. Why cant black people just assimilate into American society, instead of always seperating themselves. They need to move on. I am an "Italian American", yet you dont see me obsessed with Italian culture or trying to find it in America because I am an American. I know many Asians who feel the same way.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
So I suppose the dubbing of Atlanta as America's Black Proffesional Mecca WASN'T hype as some have suggested?
I would call Atlanta a Black Professional Mecca. "Mecca" is a big word to live up to, and if you think of it literally Atlanta is not a Mecca. However it's something to strive for, a phrase of pride for the accomplishments of Atlanta. I think it's brought good to Atlanta. More black people move to Atlanta than any other Metro area.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Please show me how you clip your toenails and drink lemonade. Please show me a YouTube video, I'd love to see.

MisterNY, you asked for it. Copy and paste

YouTube - Lemonade Rap

Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
why can't black culture=american culture in vice versa. Why cant black people just assimilate into American society, instead of always seperating themselves. They need to move on. I am an "Italian American", yet you dont see me obsessed with Italian culture or trying to find it in America because I am an American. I know many Asians who feel the same way.
Good for you and the Asians that feel the same, but that's a small number.

Culture is not something you can just shove into a closet, and forget about. It is passed down, and while being passed down it changes from generations. I cannot stand when people want others to just leave their culture behind. Assimilating into American culture while maintaining your own happens and is it is supposed to happen. What is mainstream culture to you? Different geographic locations may have different interpretations of it.

You just contradicted yourself, with your simple statement that you are "Italian American", why didn't you just say you're American? Why did you mention Asians? Because it was obvious that we're not all the same. It was automatic for you to say Italian American (while explaining that you're not obsessed with the whole Italian thing, Good for you , your choice).
Funny thing, if you were to give people your last name (if it's Italian), many would ask you out of curiousity, or assume about possible Italian ancestry.... That's normal. Enough of the let's all be one American people crap. Let people be who they are. People should appreciate America for what it is, while maintaining their passed down culture if they wish to.

Think of this; you wouldn't have all the variety/diversity of restaurants if everyone who came to the USA abandoned their culture. We'd all be eating hotdogs, and burgers. (Some days I want to enjoy Chinese, somedays it's Italian and others a good Jamaican or Soul Food restaurant will fit the bill) I like it the way it is, as I know many others do.

Yes, most cultures assimilate into mainstream American culture at work, school etc, but maintain their culture at home and around their own. This is not a homogenous society. It is their choice, so enough of it already.

Quote:

MisterNY, you asked for it. Copy and paste

LOL..Not what I was expecting...but...

Old 05-23-2009, 09:45 PM

139 posts, read 314,026 times
I haven't read the whole thread---but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents to say that "black culture" and "hip hop culture" are not synonymous. Most blacks realize this---but I don't think other races do so much. You could say hip hop culture started as a sub-culture of black culture, but that's about it. You wouldn't call goth-ness "white culture"--since it seemed to have stemmed from white people and they are the majority who participate, then I'd consider that a subculture of "white culture", for ex.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:56 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
I think you are making assumptions about black people and culture that is not quite accurate.First black culture is American Culture.Music,food and slang makes that has been considered black becomes apart of American culture.American culture is a juxtaposition of black culture.You have to understand that when you are a minority everything thats associated with being a minority becomes not the norm but the exception.Some blacks do segregate themselves mainly because we do have our own culture.A culture and way of doing things that give us a distinction.You may be Italian but know one looks at you as being Italian.You are a white guy with a European background.When you are black, people(mainly mainstream,or white) associate you with things they associate with being black."That can be negative and positive things.

American culture would be Britain still mainly if it were not for the minorities that make up its populace.The Native Americans:They gave us many of our foods,tobacco(payback) and even the names of some of our cities.African Americans are responsible for American music from Pop,Rock,Jazz,Country,Gospel,The Blues,Hip-Hop and Soul/R&B.

American culture is still developing.Its not like we are Europe with centuries of traditions and culture.In America,it is not just about assimilation.In order for our country to continue to develop its culture,it will come from sub groups of people.

For instance,their are black college and universities.I hear many white people say that its not necessary and they should be abolished.Keep in mind that these colleges are do not discriminate against anyone who wants to attend.Also their are "white colleges" also.Like Reinhart,Breneau,Agnes Scott,etc..They have very few black students just like the black schools have few white students.Why should those schools not be closed?

Also Asian do stick to their own culture.Look at Buford Hwy.Atlanta has the fastest population of Koreans in the U.S.More than 70 percent of them(roughly)live in Gwinnet County.They go to the same churches.Also have you ever seen a Korean person drive and American car?O.K.true enough most people do not drive American cars as much.

I'm not trying to cause an argument but it is very easy to see things one sided when the issue does not affect you.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think you are making assumptions about black people and culture that is not quite accurate.First black culture is American Culture.Music,food and slang makes that has been considered black becomes apart of American culture.American culture is a juxtaposition of black culture.You have to understand that when you are a minority everything thats associated with being a minority becomes not the norm but the exception.Some blacks do segregate themselves mainly because we do have our own culture.A culture and way of doing things that give us a distinction.You may be Italian but know one looks at you as being Italian.You are a white guy with a European background.When you are black, people(mainly mainstream,or white) associate you with things they associate with being black."That can be negative and positive things.

American culture would be Britain still mainly if it were not for the minorities that make up its populace.The Native Americans:They gave us many of our foods,tobacco(payback) and even the names of some of our cities.African Americans are responsible for American music from Pop,Rock,Jazz,Country,Gospel,The Blues,Hip-Hop and Soul/R&B.

American culture is still developing.Its not like we are Europe with centuries of traditions and culture.In America,it is not just about assimilation.In order for our country to continue to develop its culture,it will come from sub groups of people.

For instance,their are black college and universities.I hear many white people say that its not necessary and they should be abolished.Keep in mind that these colleges are do not discriminate against anyone who wants to attend.Also their are "white colleges" also.Like Reinhart,Breneau,Agnes Scott,etc..They have very few black students just like the black schools have few white students.Why should those schools not be closed?

Also Asian do stick to their own culture.Look at Buford Hwy.Atlanta has the fastest population of Koreans in the U.S.More than 70 percent of them(roughly)live in Gwinnet County.They go to the same churches.Also have you ever seen a Korean person drive and American car?O.K.true enough most people do not drive American cars as much.

I'm not trying to cause an argument but it is very easy to see things one sided when the issue does not affect you.
I like your interpretation of African American culture. Here is my observation/question: What is this "culture" of ours doing to provide the many young African American men(women) with something to believe in other than this pervasive & fanatical desire towards material gain? Because it seems that being tied together by skin color alone just isn't cutting it.

Why after about 40 years away from Jim Crow is there still a small subsect of African American society that produces disprotionate violent interactions like robberies & shootings relative to our population count in the U.S.? Is our "culture" as it is currently oriented unable to mitigate this situation?

This where I was getting at when I started this thread. I just want to hear from others like yourself if they are seeing things the same way or if there is another factor and/or trend that I am overlooking.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the OP title is black culture but the thread talks about gangster rap.
these are 2 very different things no?
its kind of like when irish people try to tell you irish culture is all about getting drunk and brawling.
i dont think so.
signed
a non white

Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the OP title is black culture but the thread talks about gangster rap.
these are 2 very different things no?
That's what I am trying to find out. There are various interpretations as to whether or not "gangsta rap" culture is "black" culture, or at the very least has a major presence within "black" culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its kind of like when irish people try to tell you irish culture is all about getting drunk and brawling.
i dont think so.
signed
a non white
I disagree.

"Gangsta" rap is solely being promoted by black rap artists(maybe some hispanics too but I haven't seen any in the mainstream as of late) so there is no stereotype or rumored suggestion about that, just plain facts & reality. Although to be fair it's the mostly white owned mega-corporations who put forth this genre of music at the expense of the more conscience versions of rap/hip hop.

Also attributing drinking & brawling to Irish culture is more along the lines of stereotyping. Those factors can attributed to any culture, and I don't see any well-known representatives within Irish culture promoting these factors to the mainstream media as an Irish lifestyle, not in the way that "gansta rap" is being promoted.

I just don't see a connection between the situations that you are pointing out, but then again, it's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta