U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM

550 posts, read 1,428,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I'm sure that Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, and Dick Cheney would've been great gangsta rappers, but they don't fit the image.

Especially Dick Cheney. You know how gangsta you got to be to shoot your friend and then your friend apologizes to YOU!! LOL
Hilarious!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 AM

526 posts, read 933,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I know I was going to catch some slack for my coolness statement. I did state that some black people TRY to be cool, I didn't exactly say they were cool at what they were doing.

The majority of rap battles do not end up in violence; you say it like its predominant. There are ignorant people anywhere, and it seems like you only watch ignorant people rap battle. I don't know about you but I can tell when a rap battle is about to get ignorant, and I politely walk off

Jumping around like you have ants in your pants is called dancing, a form of art. Beautiful art is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know what you would call good dancing, but remember that almost any dance you see anybody doing is influenced by black people; except river dancing, LOL. White people got us with that one. That's the only dance black people couldn't master.

i dont understand why black men can grow out their hair, but the woman cant???

OK, that was funny, LOL.
lol i agree with i walk away...
and yes every race is assanine! not just one or two lol
lol on the dancing part!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:25 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,490,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
American culture would be Britain still mainly if it were not for the minorities that make up its populace.
Would it? Most white immigrants to the US have been German, not British, and while the east coast of the US has a lot of British influence, that isn't the case at all in many other parts of the country (e.g., the midwest).

Old 05-25-2009, 05:51 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,294,677 times
I knew someone would call me on that.But here is my thinking(it could change with some reasoning).In Britain their are Italians,French,Various African and Carribean nationalities.Still the predominate culture is western influenced.They have immigrants from other countries,but how have those immigrants created culture that is UNIQUE to that country.In America we have those same immigrants.They have culture from their home countries,however its not something created in Britain.Unlike the Native Americans and African American cultures in the U.S.I may be wrong ,if I am please feel free to enlighten me.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM

49 posts, read 98,770 times
Now this is an anomaly for me, despite being black, I identify more plainly as an American (for various reasons)

And to be frank, even with the prominence of Afrocentrism (in varying degrees) scince the 60s, Blacks just don't have the same unified lineage and cultural uniqueness that say certain Mexicans, Puerto Ricans or Chinese or Vietnamese do.

In that sense, I think we are the most "american" of minorites (according to the whole melting pot theory), because of the intermingling of not only various African people's but others as well over generations.

Then again there are many scholars and others who are authories on this issue, of which I am not.[/quote]

I agree...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM

826 posts, read 2,787,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
O.k. Hillary Banks!!LOL
We drove Hillary Banks would have flown. TYVM!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,591,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
why can't black culture=american culture in vice versa. Why cant black people just assimilate into American society, instead of always seperating themselves. They need to move on. I am an "Italian American", yet you dont see me obsessed with Italian culture or trying to find it in America because I am an American. I know many Asians who feel the same way.
If only it were that easy. In order to truly fit in we would have to fit in economically and after all this time African Americans are still a long long way from achieving this. We are still very very much an economic underclass (despite some of us having had some success) and whether many of us want it to or not this causes us to have cultural differences from the mainstream.

The causes of this economic disparity are very complex and tied to a very long rooted history that often brutally kept blacks from being on an economic par with whites or even hispanics, chinese, etc.

If you want to dispute the fact that we are an economic underclass the statistics don't lie. About the only area where blacks are even beginning to gain ground on whites is in wages. Wealth wise (wealth is very different from income and in a capitalist economy more important) we are blown away by other races per capita. Land and business ownership wise we aren't even in the same ball park with whites. And there still are so many many fields, and industries where blacks are tremendously underrepresented.

For example blacks make up 12% of the population but are no where and I mean NOWHERE near that percentage when it comes to the percent of us that own farms, construction companies, are doctors, are lawyers, are engineers, own successful francishes, own valuable real estate, are captains of industry. It is largely because of their strong foothold in some of these areas that whites with only a high school diploma tend to make far more money than blacks with only a HS diploma.

Yes it's true we are highly represented in the entertainment and sports arenas but those two areas make up a small part of the economy in comparison to the other areas I just mentioned.

How do you expect blacks to easily fit in with whites when economically we are from two different worlds. It's true. Blacks grow up in a different reality where the chances of seeing someone that looks like you be a say professor or successful banker or land developer are totally night and day different.

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention blacks are three times more likely to be born into poverty than whites. There's another cultural gap for you.

Last edited by Galounger; 05-28-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
If only it were that easy. In order to truly fit in we would have to fit in economically and after all this time African Americans are still a long long way from achieving this. We are still very very much an economic underclass (despite some of us having had some success) and whether many of us want it to or not this causes us to have cultural differences from the mainstream.

.... [cut due to space]

Wrong answer! ^^^ The correct answer is that there is nothing really wrong with black culture!

Black American culture is not defined by economics alone - not by a long shot. Strip away the financial picture and there are still significant aspects of of black culture which are still noteworthy... and worthy of appreciation.

+++++

Funerals are one areas where I have seen a significant difference between white and black families.

Wakes on my husband's [black] side of the family are very sober events. People sit before the coffin in silent reflection, any sounds made are that of weeping and crying. There is NO TALKING in the room where the body is laid out. I see this as a very healthy practice, a chance to make peace with the deceased.

The funeral itself, on my husband's side of the family, are rather celebratory... much more so than on my side of the family. At the cemetery, on my husband's side, there is often a display of weeping and crying - emotions are raw and freely expressed. And the family home is adorned with a black wreath.

Extended family members travel long distances to be at a funeral in the black community, not so much so in white communities. Immediate family may travel far distances to attend a funeral, but not so much extended family.

By contrast, wakes on my [white] side of the family are almost like a cocktail hour w/o the alcohol [and I've been to a couple where alcohol was served.] There may be a small, short service, but most of the time people may walk by the casket to pay their respects, but other than those few moments, people are visiting and catching up with one another, and usually they are talking about the events which transpired leading up to the death of the loved one. The funeral itself is always a very sad event.

There is not a right or a wrong way to do a funeral... but there are different ways to honor the deceased... we don't need to make "culture" into some kind of vanilla, fits everyone, type of thing - HOW BORING!

+++

Family reunions on my husband's side of the family are huge occasions which take months and years of planning. These are week-long events, with numerous events planned, tee shirts made for the occasion. Extended family going back several generations gather at these family reunions. His family seems to have a family reunion every five years or so, we haven't made it to all of them because we've been up here in Minnesota.

[Think of the movie, "Madea's Family Reunion"]

My mom's family ONCE had a low-key afternoon picnic of my grandmother's seven siblings, their children, and a small number of grandchildren. It was NOTHING like the family reunions on the "black side" of our family.

+++

Humor is another area where there is a black/white difference... humor in the American black community is often heavily laden with irony and satire.

For example... my husband has been telling our daughters, since they were young, that they are "not allowed to date, not ever, not until he's dead."

My 13-year old daughter, when she was maybe 11, told this to a white classmate/friend of hers... sometime later the mom of her friend had me on the phone. She said her son had told her something about our daughter not being allowed to date, not ever. She thought the kids must have made a mistake, or something must have gotten mixed up in the process of the kids talking to one another and then her son telling her about it.

When I told the mom that it was true, my husband did tell our girls they are not allowed to date, not ever, the woman LOST IT! She TOTALLY took it literally, she must have thought we were somehow into "arranged marriages" and so she started making a case for young people getting to know one another before they get married, etc.

Well.... my husband saying "you are not allowed to date, not ever" is just a family joke, our kids "got it", but try as I might to explain this to the white woman - she just didn't "get it"... and she wasn't the only one who didn't get it, I had the exact same conversation with my sister!

As I tried to explain to the mom, and to my sister, my husband is simply telling the girls that he's not going to go along with casual dating while the kids are still in high school... he wants them to first worry about getting a college education, and there will be plenty of time for SERIOUS dating when they are older - at least until they are well into their college years. They will be allowed to go on group dates, to the prom, to school dances, to have friends who are guys... but getting serious with a boy while they are still in school is not acceptable in our household. This "rule" is condensed, simplified and referred to, by my husband as, "you are not allowed to date, not ever, not until I'm dead."

But when I told my black girlfriend the story, she "got it" and thought it was hilarious... I think this kind of "ironic humor" is a part of the black culture.

As black culture becomes more "mainstream" perhaps we'll have to do less explaining of this "family joke" to our white friends...

++++++

These are just a few examples, there are more.

American black culture is not all about thugs and hip-hop, there is plenty to appreciate and enjoy about American black culture irregardless of economics [as for me, I enjoy black culture as a "married-in" member of a black family ]. Yes, much of this is becoming more and more mainstream, and the parts which get the most attention are the gangsta culture overtones.

Black America not all about gangstas and it's not all bad - not by a long shot. As Black America culture becomes more mainstream it will no doubt become less and less distinguishable from American culture as a whole, but that does not mean "black culture" never existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention blacks are three times more likely to be born into poverty than whites. There's another cultural gap for you.

That ^^^ is not a cultural gap, economic disparity does create a socio-economic gap, but poverty does not DEFINE American black culture.

True, economics do often define and contribute to cultures - and there is something which Ruby Payne describes as "the culture of generational-poverty" and, unfortunately this is more "generational poverty" within the black community - but "generational poverty" does NOT define black culture and "generational poverty" is NOT limited to black culture.

I believe American Black Culture is that which "sticks" and remains a part of the culture once a black family has entered into the middle and upper class segments of society... there are black families in this country which have not been in the culture of "generational poverty" for, well, generations! Yet these black families and individuals still retain and maintain a culture which is unique to Black Americans everywhere. That's what should be considered to be "black culture"... the culture of survival which is the culture of generational poverty is something else altogether.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-28-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM

709 posts, read 1,578,160 times
Quote:
Gangsta rap is NOT black culture
How many White gangsta rappers do you know of ? When people think of gangsta rap they think of people like Eazy E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Ice-T, The Game, 50 Cent, 2Pac, etc and none of them are White.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
How many White gangsta rappers do you know of ? When people think of gangsta rap they think of people like Eazy E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Ice-T, The Game, 50 Cent, 2Pac, etc and none of them are White.

Plenty of Rappers ARE white... to name but a few:
  • 3rd Bass
  • A.K.
  • Aesop Rock
  • Anybody Killa
  • Apathy
  • Atmosphere
  • Beastie Boys
  • Beefy
  • Benefit
  • Big B
  • Blaze Ya Dead Homie
  • Brian Austin Green
  • Brooks Buford
  • Bubba Sparxxx
  • Buck 65
  • Cage
  • Classified
  • Colton Grundy
  • Company Flow
  • Copywrite
  • Cunninlynguists (one white and one black member in the duo)
  • D-Mat
  • E.C. Illa
  • El-P
  • Eminem
  • Everlast
  • Eyedea
  • Fred Durst
  • Goldie Lookin' Chain
  • Hangar 18
  • Haystak
  • Hilltop Hoods
  • House of Pain
  • Ill Bill
  • Insane Clown Posse
  • Irish Toothache
  • Jamie Madrox
  • Joe Scudda
  • John Cena
  • Jon Lofto
  • Judge D
  • Jumpsteady
  • Lil Wyte
  • LoopTroop
  • Mad Child
  • mc chris
  • Matisyahu
  • MC Frontalot
  • MC Lars
  • MC Paul Barman
  • MC Serch
  • Mike Shinoda
  • Mcenroe
  • Monoxide Child
  • Mr. Hyde
  • Necro
  • Non Phixion
  • Paul Murdoch CMF
  • Paul Wall
  • Pete Nice
  • Q-Strange
  • R.A. the Rugged Man
  • Rehab
  • Remedy
  • Rob Sonic
  • Ryu (of "Stlyes of Beyond")
  • Sage Francis
  • Sean Boog
  • Sin
  • Shaggy 2 Dope
  • Skawtty Superscript
  • Skinnyman
  • Sole
  • The Streets
  • Twiztid
  • Ugly Duckling
  • Vanilla Ice
  • Vinnie Paz
  • Violent J
  • Vishiss
  • Young Black Teenagers [not a typo - YBT = 4 white guys and a Puerto Rican]
  • YTcracker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or