U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Downtown Augusta Broad st. ''Artist Row''
250 posts, read 529,675 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Most rappers have never grown up poor and in the ghetto. Never sold drugs, most don't have a criminal record, most are not in a gang, most have never seen a gun let alone shoot one. Rappers talking about things over a beat. Is diffrent than doing them in real life. Most rappers like ludacris, bow wow, kanye west, common, talib kweli. Come from middle class backgrounds.

Lol what is a gangsta rapper. If you say curse words or the word gun. And make it rhyme over a beat. Gangstas are ppl who kill and rob people. That's gangsta not saying a curse word over a beat.

Lil Wyte, Bubba Sparxx, and Eminem. Are some of the white rappers who grew up in the hood. Eminem is from the trailer parks which is the white hood. Lil Wyte is from the projects in North Memphis.

Last edited by barii; 05-28-2009 at 09:14 PM..

 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
 
Location: St. Paul's East Side
550 posts, read 1,424,390 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
None of them are gangsta rappers though that is my point. White rappers do not rap about the same type of subject that the N.W.A for example does. The reason why White rappers do not rap about gangsta shyt is because they all have ZERO street credibility because none of them grew up in the hood. You never see White rappers come out with songs like this for example

YouTube - NWA - Alwayz Into Somethin'

YouTube - Certified Gangstas - Jim Jones, The Game, Cam'ron, Lil Eazy
Fair enough, I was not drilling down to the sub-genre of "gangsta rap"... but you can't knock Eminem off the list - that guy has earned his street creds...

Eminem & Proof - Hidden Freestyle - Very Rare - Real

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-28-2009 at 10:33 PM..
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 AM
 
574 posts, read 1,665,781 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
How many White gangsta rappers do you know of ? When people think of gangsta rap they think of people like Eazy E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Ice-T, The Game, 50 Cent, 2Pac, etc and none of them are White.
John McClane, did you read any of my posts about black culture and gangsta rap?
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,851 posts, read 5,570,116 times
Reputation: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post

Wrong answer! ^^^ The correct answer is that there is nothing really wrong with black culture!

Black American culture is not defined by economics alone - not by a long shot. Strip away the financial picture and there are still significant aspects of of black culture which are still noteworthy... and worthy of appreciation.

+++++
Agreed. I was not trying to say all cultural differences between blacks and whites are economic or that black culture was all bad.

But Cobain asked the question "why can't blacks fit int to white culture" and I was answering that 1 major reason is that there are major economic differences between most blacks and most whites in the majority. This leads to class differences which leads to cultural differences.

It's often pointed out by people like Cobain that other immigrants (he refers to Italians) have successfully assimilated into american culture. But blacks historically have had a much harder time at this even if they wanted to. First off because their skin color of course signals them off to those that would like to keep them from assimilating and second because through out most of history blacks were kept out of the free enterprise system more than other groups.

Of course, like you said StPaul, there are some differences that have nothing to do with economics. Other cultures also cling to some of their differences. Like some Italians while proudly calling themselves american still hold on to many of their italian traditions and customs.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,671 posts, read 5,535,905 times
Reputation: 1165
Great posts StPaulEastSider. Always a voice of reason and knowledge.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: St. Paul's East Side
550 posts, read 1,424,390 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
But Cobain asked the question "why can't blacks fit int to white culture" and I was answering that 1 major reason is that there are major economic differences between most blacks and most whites in the majority. This leads to class differences which leads to cultural differences.

It's often pointed out by people like Cobain that other immigrants (he refers to Italians) have successfully assimilated into American culture. But blacks historically have had a much harder time at this even if they wanted to. First off because their skin color of course signals them off to those that would like to keep them from assimilating and second because through out most of history blacks were kept out of the free enterprise system more than other groups.
Whenever I hear people saying "why can't blacks just assimilate into our society like the Irish, the Italians, the.... have done" I want to ask that person what he/she has done to help black Americans assimilate into our society. In what was has he/she accepted black men - not only the already successful black man who has "kissed ass" and learned to "whitewash" himself to adapt to the rules of the game and find acceptance in corporate America - but also the ordinary black man who just want to hold down an honest job and live his life in peace. The ordinary black man who doesn't want to play the game of assimilating to white, corporate, America? When will that man be accepted as he is?

The truth of the matter is, Black Americans typically have to "prove themselves" to white America on a case-by-case basis. If they are given a chance they are watched closely - the first time they "slip up", that's it - the trial period is over and they have failed.

I saw this first hand when my husband and I split up for three years. White friends and family who had previously, seemingly, been accepting of the fact I'd married a black man, were now saying to me "he's just like all the rest of them." I got so mad ! Seriously, what white man has to take always be walking the straight and narrow path every day of his life? Can't a black man just be HUMAN onice in awhile, can't he make mistakes or go through a period of depression just like everyone else?

From what I heard and saw, I don't think so... as soon as the black man screws up in this society, he is suddenly bearing the burden of the legacy of the color of his skin in a country where black men were once considered to be the property/livestock of the white man!

Before my husband and I split up I didn't really think his skin color was all that big of a deal... after we split up I learned just what people we had around us on a regular basis REALLY thought of him, it's amazing what people will say when they think you are done with the guy for good! Nevermind the fact you still have 4 children with this guy! Nevermind the fact your CHILDREN are black! Geez!

And yes, economic and educational advantages do play a role in why black in America have not come to the point of being on an even playing ground with "mainstream American society"... but the deep seated prejudices play an even bigger role in keeping the black man down in this society.

I wanted to strangle the TV tonight... Rush Limbaugh's show was being aired and discussion on either CNN or MSNBC. Rush was calling Obama and his nominee for the Supreme Court "reverse racists"... he paused to say, "Liberals would say minorities cannot be racists, because you have to be in power to be a racist - well in this day and age, the miniorities ARE in the ones in power and they are racists against the white man." Blah, blah, blah....

Baloney! Obama won the Presidency because he is ABOVE AND BEYOND qualified, Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor is ABOVE AND BEYOND qualified for the seat to which Obama has nominated her...

When miniorities, especially blacks, do not have to be something way above and beyond any white guy in the running for a position, THEN we can say our country has made significant progress.

I believe it will be AT LEAST another century before we are at that point in our society. Folks, we didn't get here overnight!
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,671 posts, read 5,535,905 times
Reputation: 1165
Again, StPaulEastSider rep points are in order. You summed it up for everyone. Your perspective is balanced and well thought out. Kudos!!

Tell your hubby he's lucky!! VERY LUCKY!! I wish you and your hubby much success. You seem to have a great level of understanding.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,515 posts, read 4,244,881 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Whenever I hear people saying "why can't blacks just assimilate into our society like the Irish, the Italians, the.... have done" I want to ask that person what he/she has done to help black Americans assimilate into our society. In what was has he/she accepted black men - not only the already successful black man who has "kissed ass" and learned to "whitewash" himself to adapt to the rules of the game and find acceptance in corporate America - but also the ordinary black man who just want to hold down an honest job and live his life in peace. The ordinary black man who doesn't want to play the game of assimilating to white, corporate, America? When will that man be accepted as he is?

The truth of the matter is, Black Americans typically have to "prove themselves" to white America on a case-by-case basis. If they are given a chance they are watched closely - the first time they "slip up", that's it - the trial period is over and they have failed.

I saw this first hand when my husband and I split up for three years. White friends and family who had previously, seemingly, been accepting of the fact I'd married a black man, were now saying to me "he's just like all the rest of them." I got so mad ! Seriously, what white man has to take always be walking the straight and narrow path every day of his life? Can't a black man just be HUMAN onice in awhile, can't he make mistakes or go through a period of depression just like everyone else?

From what I heard and saw, I don't think so... as soon as the black man screws up in this society, he is suddenly bearing the burden of the legacy of the color of his skin in a country where black men were once considered to be the property/livestock of the white man!

Before my husband and I split up I didn't really think his skin color was all that big of a deal... after we split up I learned just what people we had around us on a regular basis REALLY thought of him, it's amazing what people will say when they think you are done with the guy for good! Nevermind the fact you still have 4 children with this guy! Nevermind the fact your CHILDREN are black! Geez!

And yes, economic and educational advantages do play a role in why black in America have not come to the point of being on an even playing ground with "mainstream American society"... but the deep seated prejudices play an even bigger role in keeping the black man down in this society.

I wanted to strangle the TV tonight... Rush Limbaugh's show was being aired and discussion on either CNN or MSNBC. Rush was calling Obama and his nominee for the Supreme Court "reverse racists"... he paused to say, "Liberals would say minorities cannot be racists, because you have to be in power to be a racist - well in this day and age, the miniorities ARE in the ones in power and they are racists against the white man." Blah, blah, blah....

Baloney! Obama won the Presidency because he is ABOVE AND BEYOND qualified, Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor is ABOVE AND BEYOND qualified for the seat to which Obama has nominated her...

When miniorities, especially blacks, do not have to be something way above and beyond any white guy in the running for a position, THEN we can say our country has made significant progress.

I believe it will be AT LEAST another century before we are at that point in our society. Folks, we didn't get here overnight!
You are SO on fire! Keep it up!
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,791,234 times
Reputation: 2068
it used to be centerd around soulfulness & the church, bbq, family. Now I don't know
 
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 PM
 
Location: St. Paul's East Side
550 posts, read 1,424,390 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
it used to be centerd around soulfulness & the church, bbq, family. Now I don't know
Please define "soulfulness"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top