U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,798,607 times

Advertisements

thefreedictionary.com/soulfulness
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=soulful

Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 AM

550 posts, read 1,425,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
thefreedictionary.com/soulfulness
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=soulful

Definitions of soulfulness on the Web:
++++++

Yes, this is what I was getting at when I described the differences between wakes/funerals on my husband's [black] side of the family, and my [white/stoic-German] side of the family.

++++++

And I got what my husband is always saying to our kids about marriage a little wrong, what he says is: "You are not allowed to date, not ever, not until after you are MARRIED."

Another great example of black culture is spoken word poetry. We were watching "Brave New Voices" on HBO last night - tight.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Another great example of black culture is spoken word poetry. We were watching "Brave New Voices" on HBO last night - tight.
I couldn't find the performances we watched on HBO last night, but here are a couple really good examples of spoken word poetry. The first is sweet and lighthearted, the second is heavy and deep yet not angry and bitter. The SOULFULNESS of black culture is alive and well in the performances of spoken word artists... not all spoken word artists are black, of course, but it's an art form which I believe has grown out of the black community... and it's beautiful.

YouTube - Shihan ( This type love ) - Def Poetry Jam

YouTube - Russell Simmons Presents Brave New Voices : "Change" (HBO)

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-31-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,958,155 times
Quote:
In what was has he/she accepted black men - not only the already successful black man who has "kissed ass" and learned to "whitewash" himself to adapt to the rules of the game and find acceptance in corporate America - but also the ordinary black man who just want to hold down an honest job and live his life in peace. The ordinary black man who doesn't want to play the game of assimilating to white, corporate, America? When will that man be accepted as he is?
Well, this is a great object lesson. Black male identification at its finest. Despite the fact that you noted that you have biracial daughters, and at least one black girlfriend who acted as sherpa for you in your relationship, you still totally identified the black race from a male perspective. Black women are once again, invisible and nonexistent.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Well, this is a great object lesson. Black male identification at its finest. Despite the fact that you noted that you have biracial daughters, and at least one black girlfriend who acted as sherpa for you in your relationship, you still totally identified the black race from a male perspective. Black women are once again, invisible and nonexistent.

Roslyn, Roslyn, Roslyn... *sigh* No one is invisible nor non-existent. Believe it or not, I love you too - I love everyone - we are all God's children. PEACE

Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Rosyln, just for you, here is a black female performance from the Brave New Voices... this young woman has mad talent.

YouTube - Brave New Voices: " That Girl" (HBO)

And for my 3 bi-racial daughters.... we love this gal in our household:

YouTube - Bi-Racial Hair

[I don't know why this video didn't show up as imbedded the post - shrug - just click the link...]

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-31-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM

574 posts, read 1,667,102 times
StPaul,

YOU GO GURL!!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Roslyn, Roslyn, Roslyn... *sigh* No one is invisible nor non-existent. Believe it or not, I love you too - I love everyone - we are all God's children. PEACE
Whether you love everyone is irrelevant. The point of the matter is, there were objections when I stated that in much of America's psyche all the important blacks are men and all important women are white. Then you made a post that totally reinforced that notion. I have no idea what the Youtube videos were apropos of. You made a very strong and vigorous defense of black men, and of course, it's your right to defend whoever and whatever you choose. But, of course, many of you questioned the fact that I have no desire to defend black men because as a black woman, no one's defending me.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,798,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Whether you love everyone is irrelevant. The point of the matter is, there were objections when I stated that in much of America's psyche all the important blacks are men and all important women are white. Then you made a post that totally reinforced that notion. I have no idea what the Youtube videos were apropos of. You made a very strong and vigorous defense of black men, and of course, it's your right to defend whoever and whatever you choose. But, of course, many of you questioned the fact that I have no desire to defend black men because as a black woman, no one's defending me.

I guess oprah, condoleeza, whoope, shirley chisolm, and rosa parks aren't important.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I guess oprah, condoleeza, whoope, shirley chisolm, and rosa parks aren't important.
Did you read St.Paul's post whereas she questioned over and over again whether or not whites had any interactions with black MEN? Not once did she mention black WOMEN, or even the generic black PEOPLE. Nope, just black men, because we know that black men are the only black people, just like white women are the only women.

If you study the literature whether it's about Civil Rights or Women's Rights, it's clear that they are only talking about black men and white women. As I've stated before, black women were castigated by both groups during the election. If we were for Clinton then we 'betrayed' black people (read, black men). If we were for Obama then we 'betrayed' women (read, white women). Some columnist has done at least three articles about how Michelle Obama is 'betraying' women, (read that as white women) by choosing to focus on her children instead of continuing her career. Even when it was pointed out to her that by choosing to be a SAHM Mrs. Obama is actually being a trailblazer for BLACk WOMEN, who have traditionally not had the luxury of being a SAHM, that comment is blithely dismissed. If it doesn't benefit white women, then it doesn't benefit women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or