Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,282,240 times

Advertisements

Ever since the corporate power structure became aware of the rap/hip hop genre(s), it's been steadily going down the tubes. Now it seems that the culture of "gangsta rap" has taken on a life of its own. Maybe it speaks to the issue that there are a significant group of people who needs to belong to something, people who needs some sort of affirmation that they matter, at least to each other. Indians have their Hinduism and assorting practices & the Irish have their St Patrick's day...

So what do us black folks have? What unique cultural practices outside of rap & pigfeet affirms our identity & binds us closely together? Because it seems like we are missing something...

Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,584,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Ever since the corporate power structure became aware of the rap/hip hop genre(s), it's been steadily going down the tubes. Now it seems that the culture of "gangsta rap" has taken on a life of its own. Maybe it speaks to the issue that there are a significant group of people who needs to belong to something, people who needs some sort of affirmation that they matter, at least to each other. Indians have their Hinduism and assorting practices & the Irish have their St Patrick's day...

So what do us black folks have? What unique cultural practices outside of rap & pigfeet affirms our identity & binds us closely together? Because it seems like we are missing something...

Kwanzaa?

/... shrug.

I dunno what us Scots have, either (except bagpipes, which suck, and haggis, which is disgusting, and men wearing plaid skirts, which is just... weird).

I want to switch to being Italian. They're supposed to be the best lovers.
Or maybe Mexican. They have the best food.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,013,082 times
If you wanna just look at music, then there is much more beyond rap you know. Jazz, Funk, Soul hell a few would count Afropunk.

Cuisine is important too, don't discount the importance of soul food.

Not to mention our shared identity as created by our history in the country.

Scince the 60s, afrocentrism as defined by identifying Africa as the "motherland" of black people has been influential (although this has no play in my family)

Now this is an anomaly for me, despite being black, I identify more plainly as an American (for various reasons)

And to be frank, even with the prominence of Afrocentrism (in varying degrees) scince the 60s, Blacks just don't have the same unified lineage and cultural uniqueness that say certain Mexicans, Puerto Ricans or Chinese or Vietnamese do.

In that sense, I think we are the most "american" of minorites (according to the whole melting pot theory), because of the intermingling of not only various African people's but others as well over generations.

Then again there are many scholars and others who are authories on this issue, of which I am not.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,013,082 times
I must ask though, what does this have to do with teh ATL?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Can I not ask my fellow Atlantans a question? I am from Atlanta, so I personally think that that factor alone is all that is neccessary. Besides, I do not want to get a case of information overload from sifting thru too many opinons. For me it's the quality of the answer, not the quantity of it. If my reasoning is not good enough for you then I do not know what else to do for you...

Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,290,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
This post might should <-note the use of the southern phrase- be on the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

- Reel

Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,011,296 times
Rap is like Rock and roll created by blacks. By now its mostly listen to by white kids. There are hispanic, asian, and white rappers today.

I would say music and dance is a aspect of black culture. Since blacks created rap, hip hop. r&b, soul, reggae, dancehall, funk, rock & roll, and jazz. Religion and soulfood are important aspects of black culture too.

I would add family gatherings also. Black people are always having cookouts lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This post might should <-note the use of the southern phrase- be on the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

- Reel
Maybe, but I will stand by & aggressively defend my reasoning as previously stated to another poster. I want to have a conversation with my fellow Atlantans not with a bunch of strangers from all over the U.S. Quality of the message, not the quantity is the motto.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Maybe, but I will stand by & aggressively defend my reasoning as previously stated to another poster. I want to have a conversation with my fellow Atlantans not with a bunch of strangers from all over the U.S. Quality of the message, not the quantity is the motto.
Based on the results you've seen on every other thread here that's even remotely related to race, do you really expect to get a quality response? I give it 24 hours (probably less) before someone says something stupid to get the thread closed.....

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,081,686 times
What about all the history we have and things we invented. Blacks are known for many things man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta