Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:59 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times

Advertisements

Is there a place in Atlanta that does Carolina and Eastern Georgia BBQ well? I think I now know what ppl meant by Atlanta is mainly Alabama style Barbeque.. which I am thinking is some variation of Memphis Style. Most of the Barbecue I have experienced in Atlanta has some sort of thicker, sweeter, spicier sauce.. which I associate with Memphis style.. ribs are more common too.. and there are Jalapenos.. which you never ever find in Carolina and eastern Georgia style. And Hash seems to be unheard of in Atlanta, though it is the most common BBQ side item in SC and eastern GA. In Atlanta you find peculiar things like brisket, sliced pork, chicken and thick sauces with side items like french fries and cornbread. Carolina and East GA BBQ has side items such as white bread, hash, brunswick stew, mustard based potato salad, and sweet pickles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Rachel ray went to some BBQ place in atlanta. It may have been an episode of $40 a day. Not sure it was a long time ago. It looked pretty authentic. Not trendy at all. Some in-town place that looked to have been there for decades. It was packed. I can't remember it but maybe someone knows where that was.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I've not eaten at an actual white castle but I have eaten the white castle brand microwavable bread burgers and I must say they are far tastier than Krystals. I think krystals taste yucky.

You know if you're going to go to atlanta to dine on mediocre cuisine, at least go to the Varsity, Chickfila, Dwarf House, Truetts, The Big Chicken.

But Boston Market? Barf. Those places are notorious for poor sanitation scores.
Chickfila "mediocre cuisine"? Blasphemy!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As one who grew up on White Castle, Krystal is reasonable knock off.
It isn't a bad alternative. Both make my tummy equally upset.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Rachel ray went to some BBQ place in atlanta. It may have been an episode of $40 a day. Not sure it was a long time ago. It looked pretty authentic. Not trendy at all. Some in-town place that looked to have been there for decades. It was packed. I can't remember it but maybe someone knows where that was.
That was Fat Matt's.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
I know you're looking for Douglassville, but food posts excite me, so I wanna contribute . There's a great BBQ joint that's pretty cheap (I'm thinking about $6 for BBQ chicken and two sides) at the corner of Clifton and Briarcliff near Emory. Dee-lish!!! And I've heard about Peruvian restaurants in Atlanta, so you could def. find one if you citysearched it.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM

35 posts, read 130,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
There's a great BBQ joint that's pretty cheap (I'm thinking about $6 for BBQ chicken and two sides) at the corner of Clifton and Briarcliff near Emory. Dee-lish!!!
Dusty's at Clifton and Briarcliff closed recently. Their catering offerings are still available though from their location near Dekalb Farmers Market.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
yep, Dusty's, RIP....

Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

Fox Bros BBQ is the only place I know of that sells pork, chicken, AND brisket. And fried pickle slices. And fried jalapeno slices...something I haven't seen outside of Louisiana until I went to Fox Bros.

Just a quick plug for my favorite BBQ spot in town.
I'm glad I saw your post today. You are the reason we just ate there at lunch for the first time! Been meaning to for ages. Had very good brisket, brisket chili, mac n cheese and (spicy) green beans. Definitely going back there again.

Oh, and RIP to Dustys. Didn't realize they closed. That place was there for a long time, yeah?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Did you get a $4 Red Stripe (the big one)?

That's the only time I drink that stuff, though I'm not saying it's a bad beer.

Glad you liked it. I've been thinking out getting out there soon, myself. Been a few weeks since the last time we were there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta