Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 PM

102 posts, read 393,306 times

Advertisements

Folks -

House hunting right now and running into a couple of homes with finished basements for which permits were not pulled.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation. Any thoughts on purchasing such homes? Should I be requiring the seller to do something here? Are their special requirements in Cobb County regarding this?

I have no knowledge or experience in this area, but I'm hoping someone does and can provide some objective advice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 24,342 times
Just make sure that you have the home inspected by a Certified Home Inspector. You want to make sure that the basement was built to code specifications.
Many basements are finished without a permit. If they get a permit then they would have to pay additional property tax. Not saying that it is right/wrong, just is a fact.

Joe Kelley (ASHI & ICC Certified Inspector)
Avalon Home Inspections Inc.
AvalonHomeInspections.Net

Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
I'd call Cobb County and see what their requirements are for a certificate of occupancy- if they're required to come out and do an inspection on the house prior to closing and they find a basement that wasn't permitted, your deal can end up going south at the last minute. I don't believe they require the inspection, but I'd check to make sure.

Aside from that, I'd say you've got some bargaining power with the seller. I'd bring in an inspector that specializes in new construction inspections (most home inspectors won't touch anything "code related), and make sure that things appear to be up to code. There will obviously be things that can't be seen (electrical wiring in walls, etc.) but basements are prime locations for code issues- improper firestopping/draftstopping being the one that's most critical, but I can also see there being potential issues with egress, inadequate ventilation and natural light, and combustion air issues for the furnace and hot water heater.

Do you know if the homeowner did the work himself, or did he hire a "contractor"?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Do you know if the homeowner did the work himself, or did he hire a "contractor"?
They said that they used a contractor and that everything is up to code. They've even offered to have a structural engineer inspect the basement and provide a document certifying showing everything is up to code.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma31 View Post
They said that they used a contractor and that everything is up to code. They've even offered to have a structural engineer inspect the basement and provide a document certifying showing everything is up to code.
It's not a structural issue that would concern me- that's like having your auto mechanic certify that everything is OK with your hot water heater.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's not a structural issue that would concern me- that's like having your auto mechanic certify that everything is OK with your hot water heater.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:44 PM

18 posts, read 141,714 times
I would suggest getting your own structural engineer. ~$400, have them pay for it. Call county and crosscheck everything. Not a big deal.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTigers19 View Post
I would suggest getting your own structural engineer. ~$400, have them pay for it. Call county and crosscheck everything. Not a big deal.
Crosscheck what exactly?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,547 times
Quote:
They said that they used a contractor and that everything is up to code.
Of course they did. And the homeowner would know.

Quote:
They've even offered to have a structural engineer inspect the basement and provide a document certifying showing everything is up to code.
I'm a little confused here. I'm not sure what a structural engineer is going to find out looking at covered walls. The code requires certain size and type lumber, and a certain number of nails per board. How's he going to check that? I'm curious . . . . . is the ceiling acoustical tiles?

Unless they removed structural supports to finish the basement, it should be fine, because the integrity of the structure would've been checked during the construction of the house.

I would have the electrical inspected by an actual electrical contractor, etc. . . for each mechanical.

If I were you, I'd would probably deduct what they say the value of the finished basement adds in the offer.

You can't add their sq.ft. size in the appraisal anyway in GA.

Also, if you purchase the house, you may want to go ahead and call the assessors office. They can hit you for back taxes if they find it later. I'm not sure if they do it in your area, but down here, they sometimes make random visits to see if you've made improvements to the property w/o buying a permit, and they do it every so many years anyway as a reassessment.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Of course they did. And the homeowner would know.

I'm a little confused here. I'm not sure what a structural engineer is going to find out looking at covered walls. The code requires certain size and type lumber, and a certain number of nails per board. How's he going to check that? I'm curious . . . . . is the ceiling acoustical tiles?.
I thought the same thing

Quote:
Unless they removed structural supports to finish the basement, it should be fine, because the integrity of the structure would've been checked during the construction of the house.

I would have the electrical inspected by an actual electrical contractor, etc. . . for each mechanical.
For each mechanical?

Quote:
Also, if you purchase the house, you may want to go ahead and call the assessors office. They can hit you for back taxes if they find it later. I'm not sure if they do it in your area, but down here, they sometimes make random visits to see if you've made improvements to the property w/o buying a permit, and they do it every so many years anyway as a reassessment.
I'm new to the area so I really don't know what they do (or don't do). I'm not sure why I am calling the assessors? Please explain.

Thanks for your advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta