U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM

15 posts, read 376,165 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are hoping to move our family to Georgia hopefully this year. We are consideiring the greater Atlanta area (we have family there) but we haven't decided yet. We want to find a city that has a strong community feel, not just a burb of Atlanta. In other words, we would like to find a place where people are really proud of their town and are personally invested in it. Is there such a place in the greater Atlanta area or are they all pretty much just burbs?

Also, we have two children from Asia. Would they be welcomed there? Would the mostly affluent areas in the north Atlanta be welcoming to them?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 AM

283 posts, read 832,227 times
Default Fayette County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finding Home View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are hoping to move our family to Georgia hopefully this year. We are consideiring the greater Atlanta area (we have family there) but we haven't decided yet. We want to find a city that has a strong community feel, not just a burb of Atlanta. In other words, we would like to find a place where people are really proud of their town and are personally invested in it. Is there such a place in the greater Atlanta area or are they all pretty much just burbs?

Also, we have two children from Asia. Would they be welcomed there? Would the mostly affluent areas in the north Atlanta be welcoming to them?

Thanks
Fayette County would be your best bet. It is close to everyhting and is still very close nit as a community. The schools are the best in the state or at least top 5 every year for the last 25 years. Housing can be expenive there but you included affluent areas in your post so I would assume you could afford to live in such a place. Even if feel you can't check it out anyway some of the housing does start around 140K. Best areas there to look are Tyrone, Peachtree City and Brooks all on the west side of the county. Fayetteville an Woolsey are the only other 2 in the county and are both exceptional places to live I just prefer the other 3 because Fayetteville experiences the most sprawl and Woolsey gets enormous amounts of traffic when races are held at the ATL motor speedway.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 AM

985 posts, read 4,147,818 times
City of Berkeley Lake if you can afford that neighborhood. It is one of fewest control growth area in Atlanta. It is very small but very active neighborhood. They also have nice Lake.

Also, most East Asians in Atlanta located North Gwinnett/North Fulton (Duluth, Suwanee and John's Creek) are nearby, although city of Berkeley Lake is 80% white.

Also there is a new charter nearby that teaches dual languages (Chinese/English).

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=32&url_article_id=2664 2&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2 (broken link)

Old 04-10-2007, 03:43 PM

59 posts, read 236,170 times
I'll repeat the Atlanta forum mantra: Find a job first, then decide where you want to live. Traffic in the Atlanta area is absolutely horrendus. If you want a decent homelife (one where you don't have to worry about 1-2 hour commutes each way), then please make sure you have jobs lined up before picking a place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Also, most East Asians in Atlanta located North Gwinnett/North Fulton (Duluth, Suwanee and John's Creek) are nearby, although city of Berkeley Lake is 80% white.
Alpharetta (in North Fulton) has a dense concentration of high-tech companies, and from personal observation, I imagine a lot of the Asians who live in the areas mentioned by jxu66 (South Forsyth is another area) work in Alpharetta. There are new businesses that are catering to this clientele. On my last trip to Alpharetta I was happy to see an Indian grocery store on Windward parkway.

Check out greatschools.net. You see demographic breakdowns which include ethnicity - you'll get a good idea of where your children might be more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta