Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

I vote to carve up the remaining bits of unincorporated Fulton County and just do away with Fulton County as far as any kind of municipal entity. Let Sandy Springs north have their own school system and Atlanta south have a separate school system. This would go a long way toward helping the Milton County people quiet down.

But the idea of dividing up Atlanta anymore would be awful for the region. Just a bunch of talk to sway upcoming elections and put pressure on the powers that be to change. I am with Lovin on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 02:14 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
People forget that their is Midtown.There is a lot of money there as well.Not to mention the Art scene,great food, and entertainment.I honestly think Midtown can give Buckhead a run for their money.Not to mention Atlantic Station.The club scene is wack in Buckhead.It's not what it used to be.Most of the cool clubs are in Midtown.Opera,Sutra,and "Cosmalava"(Cosmopolitan/Lava Lounge).

Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 AM

156 posts, read 433,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
People forget that their is Midtown.There is a lot of money there as well.Not to mention the Art scene,great food, and entertainment.I honestly think Midtown can give Buckhead a run for their money.Not to mention Atlantic Station.The club scene is wack in Buckhead.It's not what it used to be.Most of the cool clubs are in Midtown.Opera,Sutra,and "Cosmalava"(Cosmopolitan/Lava Lounge).
Good thing the club scene is wack in Buckhead. It keeps the gun-toting thugs away. Clubs don't make for a successful and prosperous community. Atlantic Station has been taken over by goons and the businesses there have suffered tremendously. I used to live in Atlantic Station and noticed a huge difference in the clientele over the past couple of years. Crime escalated (a lot of it wasn't reported in the press) and businesses suffered (several are slated to close and/or move out of AS in the near future).

Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 AM

139 posts, read 314,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That's all fine and dandy, but a municipality makes more money off of property (taxes)--not entertainment value. Buckhead is one the richest areas period. Fulton County couldn't afford to let that go.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2Mia2Atl View Post
That's all fine and dandy, but a municipality makes more money off of property (taxes)--not entertainment value. Buckhead is one the richest areas period. Fulton County couldn't afford to let that go.
That's only if the State Legislature doesn't decide that it's better to break apart Fulton County. Remember, Fulton county was created from two counties(Milton County & Campbell County I think) during the depression as a way to save money.

Of course to do this the state government would have to either convince two poor counties in Georgia to combine(which there are plenty) or a make slight change to the Georgia Constitution to allow for additional counties.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
Good thing the club scene is wack in Buckhead. It keeps the gun-toting thugs away. Clubs don't make for a successful and prosperous community. Atlantic Station has been taken over by goons and the businesses there have suffered tremendously. I used to live in Atlantic Station and noticed a huge difference in the clientele over the past couple of years. Crime escalated (a lot of it wasn't reported in the press) and businesses suffered (several are slated to close and/or move out of AS in the near future).
Who says I was referring to clubs that attract that type of crowd?I was referring all kinds of clubs.I am not a "thug" and neither are the people I associate with.I do not understand why you would assume that I would condone such behavior anywhere.Most law abiding citizens would agree that such a rambunctious crowd is not welcome. So your point is mute to me.
My point was that Buckhead does not have the wide range of services or amenities as im not saying one is better than the other.Im just saying that in Midtown you can go to a fine dining establishment then go to see a play and live in a million dollar home.The main difference is that the art scene does not is small.The only thing you can do in Buckhead is shop and eat.I do not know the stats but,I think Midtown tax base is not that far from that of Buckhead's.Which is why it would be a major drain on the Atlanta economy if it were to loose such financial juggernaut as Buckhead.

As far as Atlantic Station goes.I know they were having some major problems when it first open.Now most of that has been addressed.What business are moving out as opposed to which are going out of business?I may not be aware of any.The police presence is definitely there.But the business are not leaving in droves.In fact, some have moved in.Just as much crime happens in Buckhead as it does in Atlantic Station.Its also a major tourist attraction.Which brings me back to the fact that when people use to visit they made a bee-line to Buckhead when they came into town.Now Atlantic Station has stolen some of that thunder.But when the Streets of Buckhead gets finished it will get that steam back.
Its not like Midtown does not have a big tax base.Many of the companies as well as its population reside in Midtown.Of course it would be a blow to the city,but its not as reliant on Buckhead as it once was.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:38 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's only if the State Legislature doesn't decide that it's better to break apart Fulton County. Remember, Fulton county was created from two counties(Milton County & Campbell County I think) during the depression as a way to save money.

Of course to do this the state government would have to either convince two poor counties in Georgia to combine(which there are plenty) or a make slight change to the Georgia Constitution to allow for additional counties.
Not exactly...

Milton County and Campbell County were annexed by/added to Fulton County.

The old Milton County consisted roughly of everything north of the Chattahoochee River (a sliver of it took up parts south of the river). The county seat was Alpharetta.

The old Campbell County was roughly what is considered South Fulton today. The county seat was Fairburn (the county seat was the old, vacated town of Campbellton back in the really early days).

Fulton County originally consisted of Atlanta proper, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, the Adamsville and Sandtown areas, and...gasp...Sandy Springs!

Roswell (older Roswell...not Martin's Landing/Horseshoe Bend area) was a part of Cobb County. It joined Fulton when Milton County did in order to make the land areas more contiguous.

It's funny...Sandy Springs is all about this new Milton County thing...but, the city/area/town was never a part of the original Milton County! Hmmmmm...

The North Fulton High School was just that...it served North Fulton. Many people don't realize that Buckhead was not annexed by Atlanta until the early 1950's. So, North Fulton High School served the northern part of Fulton County...Buckhead and Sandy Springs at that time (pre-1950 era). This changed, of course, once Buckhead became a part of Atlanta City, Northside High was also built, etc.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:55 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Not exactly...

Milton County and Campbell County were annexed by/added to Fulton County.

The old Milton County consisted roughly of everything north of the Chattahoochee River (a sliver of it took up parts south of the river). The county seat was Alpharetta.

The old Campbell County was roughly what is considered South Fulton today. The county seat was Fairburn (the county seat was the old, vacated town of Campbellton back in the really early days).

Fulton County originally consisted of Atlanta proper, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, the Adamsville and Sandtown areas, and...gasp...Sandy Springs!

Roswell (older Roswell...not Martin's Landing/Horseshoe Bend area) was a part of Cobb County. It joined Fulton when Milton County did in order to make the land areas more contiguous.

It's funny...Sandy Springs is all about this new Milton County thing...but, the city/area/town was never a part of the original Milton County! Hmmmmm...

The North Fulton High School was just that...it served North Fulton. Many people don't realize that Buckhead was not annexed by Atlanta until the early 1950's. So, North Fulton High School served the northern part of Fulton County...Buckhead and Sandy Springs at that time (pre-1950 era). This changed, of course, once Buckhead became a part of Atlanta City, Northside High was also built, etc.
This guy knows his stuff!

Well done again aries,

Old 05-24-2009, 01:18 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
I read all of the comments and I agree that it would be a huge blow to Atlanta if Buckhead was lost. Working out problems is always is always the best route, in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This guy knows his stuff!

Well done again aries,

Obrigado, St. Marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta