Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There is a BIG...HUGE...difference between buying fireworks, or speeding on the interstate, and mistreating or killing animals. I hope everyone can see that there is not a moral equivalence here, and frankly what I perceive by some folks to make one is disturbing.
Well quite frankly I find the continual heaping of heavy misery on a guy who actually was punished in a court of law for dog-fighting and DID made overtures to Animal-loving organizations by some to be quite disturbing. Just being frank, of course.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Well quite frankly I find the continual heaping of heavy misery on a guy who actually was punished in a court of law for dog-fighting and DID made overtures to Animal-loving organizations by some to be quite disturbing. Just being frank, of course.
The original question was "why does America hate Michael Vick" and has been answered. If we accept the premise that America DOES hate Vick, then the question is why? Let me summarize.

- People don't like child molesters or people that abuse animals

- He has expressed little to no remorse for his actions

- He came from a privileged life of means as a sports celebrity

Now the question about whether or not he should be allowed to play in the NFL has also been answered.

- He should have the "right" to play, but many owners will not take a chance with damaged goods

- He is as much of a liability as he is a benefit when you consider the PR and revenue aspects of his joining a team. See the first question as to why.

Legally he's served his time. Great. That doesn't entitle him to an automatic pardon for his actions. It only means he's fulfilled his legal obligation to society.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The original question was "why does America hate Michael Vick" and has been answered. If we accept the premise that America DOES hate Vick, then the question is why? Let me summarize.

Now the question about whether or not he should be allowed to play in the NFL has also been answered.

- He should have the "right" to play, but many owners will not take a chance with damaged goods

- He is as much of a liability as he is a benefit when you consider the PR and revenue aspects of his joining a team. See the first question as to why.

Legally he's served his time. Great. That doesn't entitle him to an automatic pardon for his actions. It only means he's fulfilled his legal obligation to society.
That actually sounds pretty sensible, Neil. I'm gonna back off on the Michael Vick thread where you're concerned. But...the war is not over! Mwah ha ha ha!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
To set the record straight, Michael Vick has been talking with Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States & he has expressed remorse, and he is working to do what he can to correct the situation, or so it seems....
If that is true (and I admit I haven't been following the story all that closely), then my opinion of him will change, possibly dramatically.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Maybe he should have fought roosters instead... people wouldn't have cared as much then since I think its STILL legal in Louisiana.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I don't understand how hard core criminals and drug abuseres like pacman jones and williams get chance after chance but this guy is crucified

Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I don't understand how hard core criminals and drug abuseres like pacman jones and williams get chance after chance but this guy is crucified
The answer is Pac Man only had people shot by his friends (paralyzing one of them). He didn't commit the apparently more heinous crime of taking pit bulls (animals bred for over a hundred years to fight) putting them together and letting them do what they instinctively do.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:46 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:

B.S.! Neil, if you were to go out today and hit some old lady over the head take and take her purse then you were convicted and punished (more severely than most are for the same crime I might add). When you finish your time you don't owe me anything or have to prove anything to me before you go out and live a productive life except to stay out of trouble and not harm anyone else.

If anything you owe something to the old lady but that's between you and her and her family.

2nd- He doesn't come from a privileged life. He comes from a very rough part of Virginia Beach. A place where it was common for him to see his friends doing things alot worse than fighting dogs.

Yes he made it to the NFL where he made several million dollars but that was because he generated probably 100's of millions for his team, the NFL, TV networks and NIKE and other companies with sold out stadiums, increased t.v. ratings, shoe sales, Jersey sales, etc. He did all this by sacrificing his body every week.

Let's not forget he was the most sacked and abused QB in football. You try having the countries best and largest atheletes trying thier damnest to break your neck every Sunday. So all of you stop acting like he was given that money out of charity. HE earned it. These owners don't love or care about these players. THey pay them well because they're gold mines. Wouldn't you happily pay someone $30 million if they could make you $100 million? And the minute they stop making them money they're dropped like a beat up hot potato.

Last edited by Galounger; 05-27-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I personally don't think those guys should be back, either. But the NFL doesn't seem to care about character, just $$.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Maybe he should have fought roosters instead... people wouldn't have cared as much then since I think its STILL legal in Louisiana.
Better yet, hold gambling fights with Rhinoceros Beetles. Everybody hates bugs anyway, right? Riiiiight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta