Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 PM

573 posts, read 2,500,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Or the Oh Please Just Get Over Yourself Award.
Race IS still an issue in Atlanta. Granted, not as bad as some other places, but Atlanta does have a lot of de facto segregation...
And agreeing with Brighteyes, it'd be a better place without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 PM

6,331 posts, read 11,880,185 times
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live, only if:

- I could walk anywhere at any time of day or night and not have to fear getting robbed and/or shot at
- It had a more extensive train system into the suburban areas
- It didn't have the race issues
- If Georgia wasn't run by backwards leaders who live in the past
- If it had more attractions (it has plenty, but could still use more), I think a mixed use theme complex surrounding a man-made lake would be a good idea
- If it had a lot of flashy neon lights and signs as you drive through the city on I-75/85
- If it had more world recognition, and it was known to lead the U.S. in technology, and ATL had more to brag about
- Basically if it was more like Tokyo

Old 06-06-2009, 12:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,994,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Race IS still an issue in Atlanta. Granted, not as bad as some other places, but Atlanta does have a lot of de facto segregation...
And agreeing with Brighteyes, it'd be a better place without it.
Race/segregation is an issue in every city on earth. Even DC is racist/segregated. Blacks mostly living in SE/NE/PG while hispanics are in Takoma Park. Ny is the same with latinos living in the Bronx and blacks living in Brooklyn.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,874,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
Race/segregation is an issue in every city on earth. Even DC is racist/segregated. Blacks mostly living in SE/NE/PG while hispanics are in Takoma Park. Ny is the same with latinos living in the Bronx and blacks living in Brooklyn.
Every city on Earth? Even places that have racially homogenous populations? Oh ... right, your examples are all in the US. Try to remember that the planet does have other countries.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM

217 posts, read 407,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Every city on Earth? Even places that have racially homogenous populations? Oh ... right, your examples are all in the US. Try to remember that the planet does have other countries.
I think the point was that self-segregation is the manifestation of individual choices. There isn't something about Atlanta (or any other city) that creates in some people a desire to live around people who look like them. If that's what you've always done, you're going to expect to do it no matter where you might move to, as long as it's possible. Whereas if you moved to a city where that isn't the custom, you couldn't do it.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 PM

573 posts, read 2,500,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I think the point was that self-segregation is the manifestation of individual choices. There isn't something about Atlanta (or any other city) that creates in some people a desire to live around people who look like them. If that's what you've always done, you're going to expect to do it no matter where you might move to, as long as it's possible. Whereas if you moved to a city where that isn't the custom, you couldn't do it.
I'm annoyed with myself for continuing this off-topic tangent that I guess I actually started but de facto segregation has nothing to do with individual choices for many people. If you're a minority and you grew up in/just above the poverty line in a community of people in a similar situation to yours, chances are your community will be overwhelmingly black/hispanic. It's more than sad but if you're black or hispanic in this country statistically you have much better chances of being poor than someone who is white. If you can't afford to get out of that community because you never had the opportunities that so many people in more affluent communities had, there's no individual choice there. But on the flip side, for those people that are afraid of places just because it's not all white, that is of course an individual decision and does contribute to the problem.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM

217 posts, read 407,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
I'm annoyed with myself for continuing this off-topic tangent that I guess I actually started but de facto segregation has nothing to do with individual choices for many people. If you're a minority and you grew up in/just above the poverty line in a community of people in a similar situation to yours, chances are your community will be overwhelmingly black/hispanic. It's more than sad but if you're black or hispanic in this country statistically you have much better chances of being poor than someone who is white. If you can't afford to get out of that community because you never had the opportunities that so many people in more affluent communities had, there's no individual choice there. But on the flip side, for those people that are afraid of places just because it's not all white, that is of course an individual decision and does contribute to the problem.
I won't contribute to the thread de-railing any more after this either, but:

If you HAVE to live in a certain place because you can't afford anything else, then that's not SELF-segregation because you, yourSELF didn't choose it.

I was talking about people who CAN choose. People who make plenty of money and can afford to live pretty much anywhere they'd like, but who come to a forum like this and ask something like "Where do the African-American families live in _______ County?" or "Where do upper-middle class African Americans live/hang out in Atlanta?" There are sometimes some "What difference does it make? Don't you just want to live in a good neighborhood with good schools, etc?"-type responses. The poster usually counters with something along the lines of "Yes, but I like living around other people like me. That's how I grew up, it's just what I prefer...." That's what I was referring to.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 PM

625 posts, read 1,145,060 times
what pisses me off is people who move to ATL metro who want everything "family oriented"... That is PATHETIC!!!! you can move to ANY medium sized city and experience the SAME lifestyle YET you are so F-ing DESPERATE you HAADDDD to move to the big city of Atlanta.... PATHETIC!!! You suburbanites are freakin pathetic.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 AM

325 posts, read 977,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
what pisses me off is people who move to ATL metro who want everything "family oriented"... That is PATHETIC!!!! you can move to ANY medium sized city and experience the SAME lifestyle YET you are so F-ing DESPERATE you HAADDDD to move to the big city of Atlanta.... PATHETIC!!! You suburbanites are freakin pathetic.

WTH???? I disagree....TOTALLY...lol

Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 AM

338 posts, read 894,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I think that it's perfectly reasonable to want things family-oriented. People move to Atlanta because it offers nice houses for low-cost. If someone is single and looking for a real city, they'd be better off moving to NY, DC, SF, LA or Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta