Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM

325 posts, read 979,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
Atlanta Would Be the Perfect Place to Live, Only If....

Also, it'd be nice if the transplants from outside the South would realize that not everyone wants to be like them, or be like there state, not all of us want to be transformed into California or New York or Chicago, etc. If we did...we'd move there.
Good point...i have to agree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Atlanta would be a great place to live if the natives stopped blaming the transplants for just about everything. Enough already!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
The beltline will solve the problem of more developed transit and more biking paths.

As for grocery stores, ITP there is Trader Joes, Whole Foods, some Aldi's etc. A closer in international market would be nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if ...

... it had a well developed public transit system
... it didn't have nightmarish traffic problems
... if it were in its own state so it wouldn't have to be governed by the rest of Georgia
... if it didn't have nightmarish development patterns that will led to problems down the road (e.g. water crisis)
... if it were more bikable
... if it had a greater selection of grocery chains inside the Perimeter (not a huge fan of Kroger or Publix --- ATL needs a Harris Teeter!)
... if it didn't have Georgia Power (I had terrible experiences with them)
... if it had more than one DMV location!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Atlanta would be a great place to live if the natives stopped blaming the transplants for just about everything. Enough already!
Ah boo... natives don't blame transplants for everything....what an exaggeration! We just tell it like it is....plain and simple..lol

Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Then it wouldn't be Atlanta...it would just be another filthy, crime-ridden city in the northeast.
Atlanta is already filled with crime.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Atlanta is already filled with crime.
Atlanta does have its own set of crime...can't argue with that

Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I didn't know Atlanta natives still existed LOL.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,124 times
The planners of Chicago, I must say, were geniuses for doing what they did to create the artificial channel. But that was back in the day when we did big great things, things take much much longer to do now than they used to, and costs are higher.

The Beltline, in comparison, is NOTHING from a engineering and construction standpoint. It's just that things take so much longer these days to get rolling. It would help greatly if there was more private involvement, I think that the Beltline will be a failure if we leave it up to government.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Baltimore, Philly, and DC are all pretty filthy. And I won't even mention parts of New Jersey like Camden, Trenton and Newark which are almost always voted in the top 3 most dangerous places to live. They are absolutely PLAGUED by gangs. People love mentioning how safe NY is but no one takes into account that those areas like the Bronx, Flatbush, Brooklyn, etc. aren't factored into those statistics and make them look a lot better than what they really are. Having lived in the northeast for a while I know this very well. I don't think there is ANYWHERE nice around Baltimore though that place is a cesspool.

DC tried the same thing Atlanta is trying to do by forcing the hood out into the suburbs and PG County suffered as a result of it. An area with million dollar homes and crazy gang violence. Boston is ok but they have gang problems too truth be told. Honestly the traffic is the only major gripe I have but luckily I don't have to deal with it as I only live about a mile from my residence..

I do think it would be perfect if we had a beach though and lake lanier doesn't count.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Baltimore, Philly, and DC are all pretty filthy. And I won't even mention parts of New Jersey like Camden, Trenton and Newark which are almost always voted in the top 3 most dangerous places to live. They are absolutely PLAGUED by gangs. People love mentioning how safe NY is but no one takes into account that those areas like the Bronx, Flatbush, Brooklyn, etc. aren't factored into those statistics and make them look a lot better than what they really are. Having lived in the northeast for a while I know this very well. I don't think there is ANYWHERE nice around Baltimore though that place is a cesspool.

DC tried the same thing Atlanta is trying to do by forcing the hood out into the suburbs and PG County suffered as a result of it. An area with million dollar homes and crazy gang violence. Boston is ok but they have gang problems too truth be told. Honestly the traffic is the only major gripe I have but luckily I don't have to deal with it as I only live about a mile from my residence..

I do think it would be perfect if we had a beach though and lake lanier doesn't count.
This post would appear to be inaccurate on a variety on fronts.

Why would the Bronx and Brooklyn not be factored into NY crime statistics? Both Bronx and Brooklyn are part of NYC.

There are lots of nice places around Baltimore. Hampden, Patterson Park, Inner Harbor, Charles Village, Canton, Fells Point, and Mt. Vernon just to name a few neighborhoods.

Neither DC nor Atlanta 'tried to push force the hood out to the suburbs'. Rather, rising property prices pushed the inner city poor out into the cheaper suburbs. There was no grand conspiracy on part of any city planners for that to happen.

Not sure what you are talking about in regards to PG County. PG County was bad before and it's only gotten better in recent times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta