Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM

31 posts, read 129,021 times

Advertisements

Has always been, is and will always be. As long as the local governments start investing sufficient funds into public safety and local schools, and stop using public monies for their own personal and superficial uses, crime is not going away anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM

31 posts, read 129,021 times
The metro Atlanta area encompasses a whole of the areas you mentioned.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalpatineJones View Post
Can you explain please? Airport Station to North Springs for 1.75.....not bad man.
I should have worded this differently, my bad. Part of the reason MARTA has been run into the ground financially is because you can do just that. I guess to me on the flipside it bothers me that going all the way from the farthest point to farthest point costs the same amount as going one station. It honestly really discourages me from using it for short trips, I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Look at DC's metro for an example...a much much better system than MARTA. Not only do your rates depend on which station you go to but there are rush hour and non-rush hour rates.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM

102 posts, read 364,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yami29 View Post
I need to know from all the other Atlantans out there. Complete the sentence with your thoughts. Here are mine:

Atlanta would be the perfect place to live, only if were actually located in the northeast!
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if it were 1995 again!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
I should have worded this differently, my bad. Part of the reason MARTA has been run into the ground financially is because you can do just that. I guess to me on the flipside it bothers me that going all the way from the farthest point to farthest point costs the same amount as going one station. It honestly really discourages me from using it for short trips, I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Look at DC's metro for an example...a much much better system than MARTA. Not only do your rates depend on which station you go to but there are rush hour and non-rush hour rates.
I hate the Metro. Most overpriced public transit system in the nation! It often costs $5 just to make small little trips. There are no monthly options, so if you commute everday, you often end up paying over $250-300/month in Metro fees. If you need to park at a station, add another $100 per month to that.

For what you can do on the MARTA for $50 per month, costs over $300 on the Metro. Sure, the Metro has better coverage, but so does NYC and it doesn't cost that much! In fact, NYC destroys the Metro in terms of coverage for a fraction of the cost.

Overall, I think the DC Metro is a terrible system and I prefer to drive (despite being an advocate of public transit). The MARTA is worlds better.

Btw, short trips cost more on the Metro, too, so that argument fails.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
When you say downtown to you mean intown or downtown near underground ?Castleberry Hill is just minutes from the core of downtown, and Summerhill is walking distance to the Capital with Grant Park being not much further.Also the Edgewood are next to the King District is close by,These areas are very nice.Of course if you mean intown, then Atlanta has some of the prettiest city neighborhoods I have seen in America.
I was refering to neighborhoods immediately next to downtown. The two examples I spoke of in Columbus, Ohio are right next to downtown.

The German Village is right across a bridge over an Interstate from Downtown Columbus. It has nice old houses that used to be home to a large German community. There are plenty of German restaurants and beer taverns.

The Short North to the north is separated from downtown only by the convention center. It has art galleries, coffee houses, bookstores and the like.

I think it also helps the downtown that just north of the short north is the humongous Ohio State University campus (much larger student body wise than Georgia Tech) with all the young college students who are a good rather than bad thing for downtown.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
I don't think it would be possible for Atlanta to become the perfect place to live (for me), but it could certainly be greatly improved with a third fewer people (and subsequent traffic), and neighborhoods with sidewalks. More (low-cost) options for family entertainment, and fixing this situation with the lack of available pre-schools. (Here's a hint dudes, if you have to have a lottery for pre-school slots, perhaps its time to have more than one pre-school class per elementary school. Hey, it's just a thought.)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,305 times
I think Atlanta is great.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 AM

325 posts, read 979,539 times
Atlanta isn't bad...just needs less building and more nature!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 AM

49 posts, read 110,234 times
Atlanta Would Be the Perfect Place to Live, Only If....

It wasn't the "place to be"....
Atlanta's getting too hip for me. Atlanta's home to me, so I hate to see so many ppl moving here to jump start their entertainment careers only to leave the city behind once they make a name for themselves. JMO

I'm 23 btw...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta