Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 PM

177 posts, read 256,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbobgurl View Post
There are not too many Ricans in Georgia....Thank GOD for that. Prefer Mexicans, Cubans, Dominicans, Panamanians, just please not too many Ricans....they bring down the value of the property. Stand on corners all the time.
You must be out of your mind.

You really are not going to be here long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Quote:
There are not too many Ricans in Georgia....Thank GOD for that. Prefer Mexicans, Cubans, Dominicans, Panamanians, just please not too many Ricans....they bring down the value of the property. Stand on corners all the time.
You bring down the value of the internet

But no you see how stupid such statements are? At least base prejudices on something tangible. This way you don't come off as stupid, just bigoted.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 AM

41 posts, read 117,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Hmmm. Gainesville? LOL
The carpet capital (dalton) also has a higher %age of Hispanic immigrants.

Metro atlanta has a lot of Mexicans, particularly in gwinnett county. Not so many south or central americans or Puerto Ricans though compared to florida where I have lived. Of all the Puerto Ricans I've met living here and in florida, I don't think I've ever met one that really came from Puerto Rico. They were from New York!.

They're called New Yoricans! (I'm married to one) LOL

Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 65,685 times
There are a lot of Hispanics that live in the metro area as well as the the rural areas. Usually you will find them in concentrations. I have found that most of them are either from Mexico or Central America but you will find Hispanics in the area from just about every Spanish speaking country. The Hispanic population though does not and will never match that of the African American community in Atlanta. Atlanta has one of the highest percentages of African American for any major metropolitan area in the country. That being said, Atlanta also boasts the highest percentages where African Americans hold some off the highest wages, positions and educational backgrounds of any major American city. There is definitely still some racial divide in the city and suburbs but you usually find that with people who were born and raised locally.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The ignorance out of peoples mouths sometimes boggles my mind. I take it you have never traveled through GA, AL, MS, LA, FL, SC where you find whites and those of other backgrounds in trailer parks with 4 broken down cars who are probably 200lbs over weight and have the IQ of a bull frog. Every ethnic background will have a select group of people who settle for a basic income and a high school diploma but stating that all Puerto Ricans fit that mold is a mere figment of your imagination. There are roughly 1.2 million Puerto Ricans who are considered "stateside" referring to them living in the United States and not the island. A 2003 study released by "Current Population Survey" showed that 3% or 24,500 of the stateside residents averaged incomes above $100,000 per year. I'm sure you make a fraction of that. Aside from that, some of the music you listen to or you have heard by top 40 radio stations are played by Puerto Rican artist who do not stand on a corner. On top of that, the highest body of the judicial branch appointed Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court, the first female to ever have such a high position and note that she wasn't white nor African American. She is Puerto Rican, so I am sure her neighbors aren't worried about her bringing down her home value. I'm sure there is plenty of information I can dig up about these horrible people who stand in corners. Either way, ignorance can only get someone so far, then there are facts.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawiscorrupt View Post
There are a lot of Hispanics that live in the metro area as well as the the rural areas. Usually you will find them in concentrations. I have found that most of them are either from Mexico or Central America but you will find Hispanics in the area from just about every Spanish speaking country. The Hispanic population though does not and will never match that of the African American community in Atlanta. Atlanta has one of the highest percentages of African American for any major metropolitan area in the country. That being said, Atlanta also boasts the highest percentages where African Americans hold some off the highest wages, positions and educational backgrounds of any major American city. There is definitely still some racial divide in the city and suburbs but you usually find that with people who were born and raised locally.
The Hispanic population will never match or surpass the black population? So are you the first person ever to be able to predict the future? Or, more likely, could this just be some wishful thinking...?

I find some of the posts in this thread very amusing. It appears some people feel very threatened by a growing Hispanic population, so they try to minimize its importance and signifigance. They hate the idea of Atlanta being assoicated with/known for a large non-black minority group. Like children, they dont want to share the rights to Atlanta with anyone else - its exclusively thiers, and always will be.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The Hispanic population will never match or surpass the black population? So are you the first person ever to be able to predict the future? Or, more likely, could this just be some wishful thinking...?

I find some of the posts in this thread very amusing. It appears some people feel very threatened by a growing Hispanic population, so they try to minimize its importance and signifigance. They hate the idea of Atlanta being assoicated with/known for a large non-black minority group. Like children, they dont want to share the rights to Atlanta with anyone else - its exclusively thiers, and always will be.
I'm absolutely not predicting the future. A large majority of the Hispanic population that resides in the area is actually illegal and if you live or shop near Gwinnett Place Mall I am sure you have noticed a huge decline in the amount of Hispanics that frequent the local mall, restaurants and shops. A lot has to do with the immigration laws that have been passed and with the push to get rid of illegal immigration like imposing a fine on any business that will hire anyone who is not legal to work in this country. I don't really think that it has anything to do with feeling threatened bc I myself am of Hispanic background. You state that the rights to Atlanta has to be exclusively theirs... what exactly does that mean?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
this?

http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/

Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 24,986 times
Default Make Love Not War

[quote=lawiscorrupt;14872300]The ignorance out of peoples mouths sometimes boggles my mind. I take it you have never traveled through GA, AL, MS, LA, FL, SC where you find whites and those of other backgrounds in trailer parks with 4 broken down cars who are probably 200lbs over weight and have the IQ of a bull frog. Every ethnic background will have a select group of people who settle for a basic income and a high school diploma but stating that all Puerto Ricans fit that mold is a mere figment of your

Wow, seems like some real racial tensions here. Just respect others opinions. There are those in every race who are just bums. Whites, Blacks and those of Latino descent. The person making the former statement is probably living around some people which are undesireables. So more than likely there is some truth to the statement. Don't take offense if something doesn't acutually apply to you. Bravo for your informed research. Lest we forget the poorest area in the United States is Spanish Harlem, which I believe is occupied mainly by Puerto Ricans. So there is some truth to that statement. For the amount of Puerto Ricans there are only a small amount who acutually become noteworthy. Don't take offense keep it real.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 24,986 times
To even the score there are folks from every race that are undesireables. If you travel to New York City the Puerto Rican pop will become more magnified. Travel to other cities and you may get a different view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta