Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 PM

360 posts, read 1,010,894 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving there, and anyone who has advice/experience to share on that building in particular or loft living in general (pros and cons), I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Get a large rug to cover the living area(s). Since loft's are open you get a lot of echoing whenever you talk or watch tv/listen to music.

Draperies for the windows. The extra light from the larger windows is a hard thing to get used to at 7am after a night of drinking

Make it your own. Loft's are open so that you can be more creative with you living space.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Get a large rug to cover the living area(s). Since loft's are open you get a lot of echoing whenever you talk or watch tv/listen to music.

Draperies for the windows. The extra light from the larger windows is a hard thing to get used to at 7am after a night of drinking

Make it your own. Loft's are open so that you can be more creative with you living space.

Thanks for the advice. Especially on the draperies. I work at night, so I'll need to sleep during the day. Is noise from neighbors a significant issue in your experience?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Don't forget that are train tracks adjacent to the building too.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Don't forget that are train tracks adjacent to the building too.
Thanks, George. That is a bit of a concern. I was there when a train came by. Fortunately, it didn't sound too bad. But he didn't blow the whistle. That will be another issue entirely.

In 1995/6, I lived very, very close to train tracks. At first, it bothered me a lot, but I got where I slept right through it. I will be considering a unit on the far side of the tracks at least.

My main concern is the sporadic noise neighbors may make. Regular, low-rumbling noises I think I'll be able to deal with.

Right now I have a dog that BRAYS AND HOWLS for 10 minutes at 9:30-ish when it's let out of my neighbor's house (just three hours into my sleep cycle). Then it tends to quiet down.

I think the bottom line is if I live in the city and try to sleep in the day, I will be coping with some type of noise no matter what.

Any other loft pros and cons? Anyone enjoy their loft experience?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
Thanks, George. That is a bit of a concern. I was there when a train came by. Fortunately, it didn't sound too bad. But he didn't blow the whistle. That will be another issue entirely.
No problem I think, don't hold me to this, that the train is not allowed to blow their whistle as they come through Decatur.

It is amazing how you get use to the sound of the train.

Hopefully someone who lives there/lived there can chime in soon.

Carpe Diem is a great spot, you can't get any closer! Apres Diem, Carpe Diem, Carroll St. Cafe, Village Pizza by Diem Industries, Inc.

And you will be minutes away from the DeKalb Farmer's Market!!! Your Dekalb Farmers Market - A World Market

Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times
Nope, the train blows it's whistle in Decatur. There was actually a big debate about Decatur getting silent RR crossings. It' requires a bunch of fussy and very expensive equipment at the road crossings. My understanding is that Decatur decided not to pursue it b/c it did not have enough support from the community.

I live fairly near the tracks in Decatur, and I can assure you that they blow regularly. You get used to it though. It drove me nuts for about a month or two, and now I sleep right through it. I actually like it now.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Nope, the train blows it's whistle in Decatur. There was actually a big debate about Decatur getting silent RR crossings. It' requires a bunch of fussy and very expensive equipment at the road crossings. My understanding is that Decatur decided not to pursue it b/c it did not have enough support from the community.

I live fairly near the tracks in Decatur, and I can assure you that they blow regularly. You get used to it though. It drove me nuts for about a month or two, and now I sleep right through it. I actually like it now.
I was smack dab by a railroad track for a year back in the '90s. But they didn't blow the whistle. But I sure slept right through the train itself. I'm more word about neighbors making noise. Regular, outside noise I can handle.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
Make sure when you go to see units at this (or any) building you are there at times when the neighbors are likely to be home so you can hear what it sounds like. Try to see it during the evenings or weekends.

Some loft and condo buildings are very quiet -- steel and concrete construction. Some are nightmarish and you can hear the cushion squeek every time your neighbor shifts position on the sofa -- much less anything else! So make sure you do as much due diligence as is possible to do before you decide on any building or any specific unit.

Also, always be sure you thoroughly check the condo docs, and find out about the health of the condo association (including the existing reserve and any potential upcoming assessments). The economic downturn has caused a lot more problems with recent condo developments than more established ones. You don't want to buy into any development where large numbers of owners are behind on HOA fees or where units are going into foreclosure left and right. I haven't sold anything in Ice House Lofts so I don't have any knowledge of the soundness of the project as a whole, so don't consider this information directed at that building -- just general advice about any recently developed condo or loft development.

Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Here are some ratings from renters.

Ice House Lofts Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Decatur apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta