Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM

608 posts, read 1,702,430 times

Advertisements

I am strongly considering moving back to Atlanta some time within the next year. I have lived up in Northern Virginia since last August, but I have no plans to stay in the DC area long-term. I'm a Southerner at heart and I want to live somewhere that I can own relatively inexpensive urban property, but still be in a big city environment. I lived in Atlanta for two years from 2003 - 2005, so I still have a lot of friends down there.

I've been searching for a list of the largest accounting firms in Atlanta, but haven't found much online. Obviously, the Big 4 firms are probably the largest four firms, but I'm more interested in what comes after them so I can research the individual firms and target my job search.

This is an example of what I'm looking for:

Largest 50 Firms in Metro DC Area

... except of course, for the Atlanta Metro. Would anyone know where I might locate such a list? Alternatively, would anyone be familiar with a good recruiter who work specifically with public accounting firms? (In some ways, I'd rather go about searching on my own, but I realize that assistance might be useful).

Also, I'd be interested in firms that deal with valuation, as that is the area that I am most eager to get into long-term, but many of the public accounting firms offer valuation services, so I could possibly get my foot in the door on the assurance services side and slowly work my way over to valuation with the right firm. I am not sure if there are firms that offer valuation services without the accounting, but I would be interested if there were.

Thanks ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,514,196 times
Some of the smaller firms that come to mind here are:
Porter, Keadle, and Moore
Mauldin & Jenkins
Crisp Hughes Evans
CBIZ
Reznick Group

These are totally off the top of my head, and the names could be different now. I'm positive there are way more out there and should be pretty easy to find if you dig hard enough on the net. Maybe check out the Atlanta Business Chronicle.

The market is horrible right now...I have buddies who worked at PwC in audit for 8 years and left to try something else, got laid off, and now cannot beg their way back into the firm (and this one guy was a stud performer). He has already expanded his search to other cities, but they are worse than here! Good luck out there. I know that there are separate valuation firms out there, but have no clue who they are. Maybe you could latch on with a boutique firm.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM

608 posts, read 1,702,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Some of the smaller firms that come to mind here are:
Porter, Keadle, and Moore
Mauldin & Jenkins
Crisp Hughes Evans
CBIZ
Reznick Group

These are totally off the top of my head, and the names could be different now. I'm positive there are way more out there and should be pretty easy to find if you dig hard enough on the net. Maybe check out the Atlanta Business Chronicle.

The market is horrible right now...I have buddies who worked at PwC in audit for 8 years and left to try something else, got laid off, and now cannot beg their way back into the firm (and this one guy was a stud performer). He has already expanded his search to other cities, but they are worse than here! Good luck out there. I know that there are separate valuation firms out there, but have no clue who they are. Maybe you could latch on with a boutique firm.
Thanks, Spacelord. I'm going to look into some of those. I'm familiar with Reznick already, but hadn't heard of the others.

I'm surprised by some of the layoffs at the Big 4 firms. Given their absurdly high turnover, you would think they could trim their workforce fairly easily by simply cutting back hiring efforts --- the fact that they have been more aggressive suggests things are pretty bad.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,514,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Thanks, Spacelord. I'm going to look into some of those. I'm familiar with Reznick already, but hadn't heard of the others.

I'm surprised by some of the layoffs at the Big 4 firms. Given their absurdly high turnover, you would think they could trim their workforce fairly easily by simply cutting back hiring efforts --- the fact that they have been more aggressive suggests things are pretty bad.
Sorry - he was actually laid off by a corporate entity, then tried to return to his public firm (where he had worked previously) and found they were not hiring.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM

732 posts, read 2,970,025 times
The Atlanta Business Chronicle will sell their list for $10:
Atlanta Accounting Firms - View Top Atlanta Accounting Firms (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/top25lists/lists/accounting_firms.html?minor_id=2 - broken link)

Luckily, M&J have the list on their web site, but it takes a year to load:
http://www.mjcpa.com/M&Jweb/NewsRoom/Atlanta%27s%20Top%2025%20Accounting%20Firms.pdf (broken link)

Some of the biggest in Atlanta beyond the Big 4 and 2nd tier firms not previously mentioned are:
Frazier & Deeter
Habif Arogeti & Wynne
Bennett Thrasher
Dixon Hughes

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM

58 posts, read 152,147 times
Smith & Howard
Tarpley & Underwood

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Habif, Arogeti & Wynne.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem89 View Post
Smith & Howard
Tarpley & Underwood
Tarpley & Underwood just merged with Windham Brannon resulting in some layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: