U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Atlanta area mall(s) should be shut down?
Arbor Place Mall (Douglasville) 1 1.25%
Cumberland Mall (Smyrna/Vinings) 3 3.75%
Discover Mills (Duluth) 1 1.25%
Greenbriar Mall (SW Atlanta) 24 30.00%
Gwinnett Place Mall (Duluth) 7 8.75%
Lenox Square Mall (Buckhead) 2 2.50%
North Dekalb Mall 12 15.00%
Northlake Mall (Tucker) 6 7.50%
North Point Mall (Alpharetta) 0 0%
Perimeter Mall (Dunwoody) 3 3.75%
Phipps Plaza (Buckhead) 2 2.50%
Stonecrest Mall (Lithonia) 7 8.75%
Town Center at Cobb Mall (Kennesaw) 1 1.25%
Mall of Georgia (Buford) 1 1.25%
South Dekalb Mall (Decatur/Panthersville) 19 23.75%
Southlake Mall (Morrow) 12 15.00%
Shannon Mall (Union City) 22 27.50%
Ashley Park (Newnan) 1 1.25%
None should close 27 33.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM

20,981 posts, read 32,977,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
I would say Northlake Mall really needs to be remodeled, it is so outdated!
And a real oddity to me, considering its' proximity to some really affluent neighborhoods. There is nothing interesting about that mall, unless you are in the market for athletic shoes and want 14 stores to choose from. IMO the mall site would make a great town center. Bring on the bulldozers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM

593 posts, read 2,500,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah a better question might be which mall do you not like?
Well now that's an easy one

Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,447,375 times
I also think many of the malls in the Atlanta market could use a serious remodeling. Gwinnett Place is desperate for one. I'm hoping that if/when the new development does begin their, it will start a renovation.

Also, has anyone who has been there lately know what it is that are on the walls? They're huge and black and mounted on the columns. They almost look like cameras or lights, and they are like every 10 feet. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM

360 posts, read 852,396 times
I actually think North DeKalb is pretty decent. I go there sometimes. It's definitely on the "discount" side of things, but that's OK. That's my life these days, too.

South DeKalb, on the other hand, seemed pretty scary. It could use a major makeover and revitalization. Given its location, I don't see that happening.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,782,094 times
I honestly can't believe that people actually voted for Lenox & Perimeter!!!!!! What's that all about?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM

12,928 posts, read 21,019,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Which Atlanta area mall(s) should be shut down? It could be for any number or reasons. Let's hear your choices and why you chose them.

None of them should be shut down! They should be remodeled, reutilized, retrofitted, and updated.

This is an obvious solution.

I do say that no new malls (when I say "malls" I mean regional malls) should be built, however.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM

I am so happy to see that almost everyone agrees that no mall should be shut down! They should just be updated to fit modern needs, modern times, and the areas in which they serve.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And a real oddity to me, considering its' proximity to some really affluent neighborhoods. There is nothing interesting about that mall, unless you are in the market for athletic shoes and want 14 stores to choose from. IMO the mall site would make a great town center. Bring on the bulldozers.
For real tho'...

I've always thought that Northlake should be similar to Cumberland or Perimeter...

...and it could be easily. Let's hope...

Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,327,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Lenox and Phipps are close enough the affluent residents to go shop at, and Perimeter isn't that far from there either (unless there is lots of traffic on 285, which is pretty much all the time), so there is no reason for them to really go over to Northlake.

I'm wondering what would be a good idea for that site though? It won't survive long as an enclosed mall (economy and shopping tastes are different). While the 70s time warp of Northlake is fun to me as a nerd and conniseur of such retro looks, that doesn't translate into brisk retail sales. I don't think that yet another "Lifestyle Center" would make sense at that location.

A "Power Center" (lots of Big Box stores) would be more realistic. However, I thought that a Costco is going to be built over at North Dekalb Mall? Sam's has a nearby location over on Clairmont. I guess BJ's could go there?

Also, the Macy's there could benefit from the one at N. DeKalb shutting down, but I'm not too sure if the N DeKalb or Northlake location does better. But with the merging of Rich's w/Macy's, the whole metro has an overabundance of stores.

JC Penney and Kohl's could theoretically stay, but I could totally see a shiny new JC Penney anchoring a Big Box Center on that site.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Lenox and Phipps are close enough the affluent residents to go shop at, and Perimeter isn't that far from there either (unless there is lots of traffic on 285, which is pretty much all the time), so there is no reason for them to really go over to Northlake.

I'm wondering what would be a good idea for that site though? It won't survive long as an enclosed mall (economy and shopping tastes are different). While the 70s time warp of Northlake is fun to me as a nerd and conniseur of such retro looks, that doesn't translate into brisk retail sales. I don't think that yet another "Lifestyle Center" would make sense at that location.

A "Power Center" (lots of Big Box stores) would be more realistic. However, I thought that a Costco is going to be built over at North Dekalb Mall? Sam's has a nearby location over on Clairmont. I guess BJ's could go there?

Also, the Macy's there could benefit from the one at N. DeKalb shutting down, but I'm not too sure if the N DeKalb or Northlake location does better. But with the merging of Rich's w/Macy's, the whole metro has an overabundance of stores.

JC Penney and Kohl's could theoretically stay, but I could totally see a shiny new JC Penney anchoring a Big Box Center on that site.
Howevah, Lenox/Phipps are close to Cumberland as well...but Cumberland does well.

Like I said before...I think Northlake should try to be like Cumberland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or