Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,612 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend Peachtree City! There may be a high percentage of pilots in the area, but it is VERY socially conservative and has one of the lowest same sex couple rates in the state. I would look into Decatur instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,011 times
Hey, I was trying to give the burbs a break. I am only really familiar with the part of Gwinnett that's near the Mall of GA, and I would NEVER recommend a same-sex parent family to live there.

But, as George mentioned, our neighborhoods, as well as the city of Decatur, and the Oak Grove neighborhood - really all around the Emory/CDC area - would be welcome you with open arms. You would find several families like yours here. And, it's not urban in the sense that NYC is urban. Where George and I live, as well as Decatur, there's the feeling of being in a small town. Oak Grove has a more traditional 50s suburban ranch-style feel to it despite being RIGHT THERE in the middle of everything.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM

32 posts, read 121,454 times
I've lived in Downtown Decatur all my life and I think it's your best bet. I see lots of gay and lesbian couples around here with children and nobody winks cause it's just normal around here. Decatur is right outside Atlanta so you are removed from the big urban city but still have access to the city if that makes any sense. Lots of good schools around....you'll have your pick cause there are a few good elementary schools here. Decatur underwent gentrification a few years back so it's very expensive to live here these days and the property taxes are like around $3000.00 a year. A house will cost you anywhere from $200K to $400. You might luck up in this terrible housing market. I think you'd like East Lake or Oakhurst. Come visit and check out Mojo's Pizza and Wahoo.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes33 View Post
I've lived in Downtown Decatur all my life and I think it's your best bet. I see lots of gay and lesbian couples around here with children and nobody winks cause it's just normal around here. Decatur is right outside Atlanta so you are removed from the big urban city but still have access to the city if that makes any sense. Lots of good schools around....you'll have your pick cause there are a few good elementary schools here. Decatur underwent gentrification a few years back so it's very expensive to live here these days and the property taxes are like around $3000.00 a year. A house will cost you anywhere from $200K to $400. You might luck up in this terrible housing market. I think you'd like East Lake or Oakhurst. Come visit and check out Mojo's Pizza and Wahoo.
I, too, live in downtown Decatur. I see many lesbian families here, bot not many (if any) gay male couples. I think a better bet would be the North Druid Hills area, which according to C-D has one of the highest concentration of same-sex male couples in the country. The better elementary schools there are Sagamore and Oak Grove.
Oh and BTW, I'd love to know where these 200K houses are in downtown Decatur .

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 40,971 times
I don't know how long you have been in the Atlanta area, but I moved here 3 years ago and decided to buy a house in Cobb county. Some of the areas have excellent schools, you just have to look into it. But the thing I like best about it is the location. It's the south, so you're going to see some negatives no matter where you live. But my advice is to give some serious consideration to the Cobb county/east cobb/vinings area. There are a lot of things to do... and it's Atlantas next door neighbor!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 PM

32 posts, read 121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I, too, live in downtown Decatur. I see many lesbian families here, bot not many (if any) gay male couples. I think a better bet would be the North Druid Hills area, which according to C-D has one of the highest concentration of same-sex male couples in the country. The better elementary schools there are Sagamore and Oak Grove.
Oh and BTW, I'd love to know where these 200K houses are in downtown Decatur .
Check out the Oakhurst area and East Lake. I think when they are priced that low they are likely fixer-ups. If you got the money for a fixer up then you may be able to flip your money in the long run. It sure would be a nice investment!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM

156 posts, read 433,499 times
I live in Grant Park and there's a huge gay population here. It's 1 exit from downtown, houses the zoo, and has a great park.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Brookhaven.

Just North of the "Buckhead" area (nicer area of shopping/restaurants, etc). Lower crime area. Homes/townhomes in that range. Good access to GA400, I-285 (beltway), and I-85. You also have a MARTA rail station there and it's straight shot South directly into the Airport. Big mix of people from singles to marrieds, straight, gay, older, younger, etc etc.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 PM

154 posts, read 605,699 times
Well, you're just moving all over the place, aren't you?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:53 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Re: Lakeside High School district - that's why I mentioned Oak Grove.
Yep! And I already noticed!

(And I hope I didn't come off like I didn't respect what you already posted...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta