U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 AM

439 posts, read 716,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I wouldn't live in Camp Creek. There is a reason the homes are priced attractively. Crime ridden and all of the fringe neighborhoods are mostly filled with poverty stricken residents. Maybe I have the wrong perspective, but it will take a lot to change it.
No you do not, you are very right. It is cheap for a reason... It is a great area for investment property. Plus schools are all part of APS which is still recovering from their debacle last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuby View Post
Well actually there was a time within the past two years when a lot of houses were getting broken into. Things seem to have gotten better now but I had my house as well as several in my subdivision broken into last year and the year before.
Ditto. And still happening. It picks up during the Summer months.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Actually a lot of section eight people are great tenants. Because if you mess around in section eight you get kicked out of the program. I have rental properties in the Camp Creek area and it is not a bad area. It just gets a bad reputation because there is black people. I live in Buckhead and I would live in Camp Creek any day over Forsyth, or far N. Fulton. (oh and I am 75% Irish 25% Spanish) It is a great location and easy commute to many job centers.
Do you rent section 8? I know for a fact there are lots of section 8 tenants getting kicked out of the program constantly... You have rental property in Camp Creek but you do not live there.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Yeah some people consider an area with any type of "activity" a high crime area
What people here fail to understand is that regardless of how tall and intimidating they may look or the alarm system they install at their dwelling... It will NOT keep their house/car from being broken in if you are not in the house or even if your home is invaded. Camp Creek has a high incidence of such petty crimes and yes some of them end in death. It is just not publicized. However, please participate of the communities' meetings and the APD will give you all the stats. No AJC fabricated lies, no wikipedia stats.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 AM

135 posts, read 479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Well, you have to think about this way. There are actually "two" Camp Creeks.

West of I-285 Camp Creek is very different from East of I-285 Camp Creek.

Camp Creek Parkway and I-285 - Google Maps
Yes, thank you; that is why I prefaced my post stating such a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim68 View Post
When people define "high crime area" to me I just laugh. I am a city kid from the bronx so I don't consider Camp Creek a high crime area. Plus I am a 6'4 black male so I am not a target!
It's all a matter of perspective. Just because you lived in a place that crime is extremely high, does not mean over 7x the national average is not high.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,353,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Do you rent section 8? I know for a fact there are lots of section 8 tenants getting kicked out of the program constantly... You have rental property in Camp Creek but you do not live there.
It seems like you do not like the City of Atlanta? APS is not all bad.

Most of my rentals are in Camp Creek, S. Fulton, SW Atlanta, SE Atlanta, and S. DeKalb. I have a few other rental properties in Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, and Eastlake. I do rent section eight on certain properties. Most of my section eight tenants have been great the worst thing one did was leave a marijuana plant! People do get kicked out of the program and that is why it works way better then other welfare programs. Most single moms on section eight do not want to get kicked out.

My wife has most of her family in the Cascade area(ITP & OTP city of Atlanta), Enon Rd, Sandtown area, and Camp Creek area(and they are all very successful two lawyers, a doctor, a COO, a few own businesses, have PhDs, etc.). So I spend a good amount of time down there. None of them have been the victim of a crime except some patio furniture was stolen(when it was in their driveway when their patio was being redone).

It actually amazes me that home prices have stayed so low in SW Atlanta I find it way more appealing over the far north exurbs people love. If you told me to sell my house in Buckhead and move to SW ATL or Forsyth County I would be in "SWATS". It is a great location and it still has a lot of natural beauty. And another plus Camp Creek and SW Atlanta has is you still have an Atlanta address.

Last edited by GeorgiaLakeSearch; 05-10-2012 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Most of my rentals are in Camp Creek, S. Fulton, SW Atlanta, SE Atlanta, and S. DeKalb. I have a few other rental properties in Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, and Eastlake. I do rent section eight on certain properties. Most of my section eight tenants have been great the worst thing one did was leave a marijuana plant! People do get kicked out of the program and that is why it works way better then other welfare programs. Most single moms on section eight do not want to get kicked out.

My wife has most of her family in the Cascade area(ITP & OTP city of Atlanta), Enon Rd, Sandtown area, and Camp Creek area(and they are all very successful two lawyers, a doctor, a COO, a few own businesses, have PhDs, etc.). So I spend a good amount of time down there. None of them have been the victim of a crime except some patio furniture was stolen(when it was in their driveway when their patio was being redone).

It actually amazes me that home prices have stayed so low in SW Atlanta I find it way more appealing over the far north exurbs people love. If you told me to sell my house in Buckhead and move to SW ATL or Forsyth County I would be in "SWATS". It is a great location and it still has a lot of natural beauty. And another plus Camp Creek and SW Atlanta has is you still have an Atlanta address.
Funny, your choice of words speaks for what I said...
APS is not that bad... Means it is good? No it is mediocre at best. But sure, I will take your PC way of stating it. I bet you do not have children of your own studying there. Oh wait, you have investment property there but yet you will not move there... You would, but you won't...

Secondly, I stated the area is high on petty crimes. Stealing patio furniture is what? Yes, very petty and typical of the area.

I did not say that "Camp Creek area" residents were uneducated or not professionals so I do not know why you are throwing degrees and titles. Probably a immediate inferiority complex that Atlanta residents have. They immediately throw names and titles and stats when they feel degraded in any way.

What can I say if you love it so much live there. Oh yes and the city of Atlanta is not that bad.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM

19 posts, read 53,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
Yes, thank you; that is why I prefaced my post stating such a fact.

It's all a matter of perspective. Just because you lived in a place that crime is extremely high, does not mean over 7x the national average is not high.
You are 100 correct "Its all a matter of perspective" Crime happens "EVERYWHERE" People offend buy property in a area with the false sense of security believing "crime will never happen in this neighborhood" and then something happens resulting with them wanting to move!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM

449 posts, read 986,889 times
Quote:

Yeah, that's what I like about Camp Creek. Even though it's unincorporated Atl, you are still able to attain an Atlanta address.

I also hate the 85 North traffic, man it's terrible. North Fulton may have less crime, but you get way more value for your $ in the Camp Creek/SW Atl area.

It's all about knowing which neighborhoods to stay out of. I always ride through a neighborhood at night before I purchase a property.

Been looking at some dirt cheap homes in Camp Creek lately and some of the areas are so quiet that you can hear crickets chirping

Old 05-12-2012, 05:07 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,353,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Yeah, that's what I like about Camp Creek. Even though it's unincorporated Atl, you are still able to attain an Atlanta address.

I also hate the 85 North traffic, man it's terrible. North Fulton may have less crime, but you get way more value for your $ in the Camp Creek/SW Atl area.

It's all about knowing which neighborhoods to stay out of. I always ride through a neighborhood at night before I purchase a property.

Been looking at some dirt cheap homes in Camp Creek lately and some of the areas are so quiet that you can hear crickets chirping
The traffic is so much better on the southside that is one big reason I do not get why everybody is running to Alpharetta area. People on here who live in Forsyth were complaining they live so far from the airport... well that is what happens when you buy in an exurb!

Some people act like if you go anywhere on the southside you are going to get robbed, shot, or rapped..... or all three.

If you posted pictures on this website of Camp Creek said it was a community in Alpharetta they would all be in love with it.

Have you ever noticed the new homes built in South Fulton and Camp Creek by developers tend to be much more of a classic timeless style? I have noticed on the north side they houses seem to be very trendy in Alpharetta area. Now they do a faux rustic mountain kind of thing. It used to be Georgians and stucco chateaus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or