Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 PM

40 posts, read 226,826 times

Advertisements

We were originally going to end up in Charleston, but finding a job that pays well there wasn't happening. He's in the graphic design industry and Atlanta is where it's at for his field. He's entertaining offers from a few different companies. He will work out of the house with all of them 90% of the time. My question is this...we are looking to spend around 300-325k for a house in a great school district with low crime and close to shopping, etc... I know traffic is an issue up there, but are there any areas that aren't too horrific? We currently live in Central Florida and are really looking forward to a change, friendlier people, etc... I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 03:17 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
Default Moving to Atlanta

Hi,

Look into East Cobb. I grew up there and the schools are excellent, you can find a nice home for the amount you are willing to spend, and if your husband has the flexibility to work from home, he can access Buckhead, the Perimeter area or Midtown more easily if he waits until traffic dies down. Otherwise, it's a great place to raise kids.

Moderator cut: Removed

Thanks!

Last edited by xxman777; 04-21-2007 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 04-21-2007, 04:58 PM

40 posts, read 226,826 times
Thanks so much! What cities are in East Cobb? My good friend is moving there in a couple of months and mentioned East Cobb as a possibility. Any schools that you can recommend? We have one going in to high school and one who will be in first grade in the fall.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-21-2007, 08:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Red face NE/Athens/Lawrenceville--Good Area in your $ range...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4boys View Post
We were originally going to end up in Charleston, but finding a job that pays well there wasn't happening. He's in the graphic design industry and Atlanta is where it's at for his field. He's entertaining offers from a few different companies. He will work out of the house with all of them 90% of the time. My question is this...we are looking to spend around 300-325k for a house in a great school district with low crime and close to shopping, etc... I know traffic is an issue up there, but are there any areas that aren't too horrific? We currently live in Central Florida and are really looking forward to a change, friendlier people, etc... I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks
~~~
I prefer the more laidback feel of the NE quadrant---shrug--a matter of taste, I suppose.

I drove this area last week much more for the $ and the proximity to UGA provides a good quality of 'neighbors'. Manchester Walk is a new ??? cluster home --intown home subdivision---not really right for your family I think but based on what I saw---Bowen, is the builder--the quality is good and the $ fair. Plenty more subdivisions being developed as we speak---not certain which Gwinnett schools would be involved but they are good and if it is Parkview High School area--that is an excellent school.

Other towns near this part of Gwinnett are--Auburn, Carl, Dacula and Athens is 'down the road' a piece--to use a southern colloquialism.

The DH's job should be the consideration---hwy 316 is heavily traveled but if he can be flexible about where he works--maybe work from home or find something around Johns Creek--just the other side of Lawrenceville---many high tech jobs are here---this area might work for you.

jmo---

email me if you want more of my 'Opinions'----I have looked and seen a number of areas that are developing---North Georgia is going to 'Bust' --5-10 more years--beautiful area---Toccoa, Lavonia, Hartwell--if you could buy there now you would have it made in the proverbial shade--low crime, kind and friendly people---good place for kids...wholesome--not too much of that around these days but that is what I like. A simple and Good life.

sls

Old 04-21-2007, 09:18 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4boys View Post
Thanks so much! What cities are in East Cobb? My good friend is moving there in a couple of months and mentioned East Cobb as a possibility. Any schools that you can recommend? We have one going in to high school and one who will be in first grade in the fall.

Thanks for your help
East Cobb mostly has Marietta mailing addresses. However none of it is actually in the city limits of Marietta, it's all unincorporated county. Walton, Pope and Lassiter High Schools are some the best in the state and all in East Cobb. Somebody else can probably help more with specific schools. You just want to make sure you aren't actually in the city of Marietta because the city schools leave a little something to be desired.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:51 AM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
Default East Cobb

There really are not cities in East Cobb, it's really just the eastern part of Cobb County. The best high school by far is Walton. One of the best elementary schools is Sope Creek. If you live in those school districts you can't go wrong with the public schools.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
if you go to harry norman dot com, you can search for homes by school district... search in walton, pope and lassister in your price range. You might also look into Northview High School for comparison (N. Fulton) Actually, here is the list of the top 25 high schools by SAT score...

http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/pea_communications.aspx?ViewMode=1&obj=1239 (broken link)

Fayette County which is actually south of town has several schools on the list as well.

Frankly, if you want good schools in Metro Atlanta, I think traffic is part of the package.

Most East Cobb schools are highly regarded. It would be great if you could arrange a visit in the next few weeks to actually visit the schools. I think that schools have personalities and I know that sometimes children and families do too. Some high performing schools are very, very structured and for some kids (and their parents) this is a real issue. I have friends who live in those East Cobb districts whose kids have ended up in private schools because it wasn't a good fit. (this is at the elementary level)

Here is an interesting article about Walton High from a recent Atlanta Magazine...
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.php?id=323 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta