U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 20,893 times

Advertisements

i live in charleston,s.c. but moved to atlanta back in 1987 for about 5 years. i liked atlanta back then but it was still growing and had not "found" itself yet. it was still a nice city though.

i went back for a visit a year ago and couldn't believe how much it has changed! well it does seem to be "finding" itself now and is not the same city i used to live in. to me it's alot more "walkable" much more pedestrian.
also seems to have an international feel to it now. back when i lived there it had almost no feeling at all but that seems to have changed. i call it "little chicago" now.

am considering moving back to atlanta or maybe chicago...haven't decided.

william
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM

22,776 posts, read 34,818,939 times
Your observations seem spot-on to me. Some long-timers are pleased with the changes, some are not. One thing about Atlanta is certain; stay away for any given ten years and you will always return to a very different city. This has always held true and probably always will.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM

i like the change and it's been a long time coming. it finally has a feel for itself now, an air or a vibe to it or about it. before it seemed cold and without a heart or soul.

it's on the map now though. i like just getting out and hitting the streets, walking around and taking in the sights. there are stores, shops, resturants, etc. where there used to be nothing but abandoned buildings, warehouses and empty lots. i'm really amazed, lol.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM

593 posts, read 2,559,689 times
Still got the same ol' sewer system though.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Lol.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 PM

24 posts, read 37,233 times
Default still a fragmented weird mish mesh of a city

" before it seemed cold and without a heart or soul."

Yep, there may be more construction, boutiques, shops & stores now but I still think that above statement is true even today

This city is still "finding" itself if you wanna call it that. Moreover, the city of Atlanta still lacks an IDENTITY and has a very UNFRIENDLY vibe. I'm not sure if it ever will

Old 06-22-2009, 03:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 6,811,290 times
What examples can you give that it is a city with no identity or unfriendly vibe. I've only met the nicest people and had the best hospitality while I've been there. GA has a lot of history and is growing so I don't understand when people say it doesn't have an identity?? People are VERY friendly especially the real Georgians. Most people are from elsewhere and introduce a bit of unfriendlinees to the city/state.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,226,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannongymru View Post
" before it seemed cold and without a heart or soul."

Yep, there may be more construction, boutiques, shops & stores now but I still think that above statement is true even today

This city is still "finding" itself if you wanna call it that. Moreover, the city of Atlanta still lacks an IDENTITY and has a very UNFRIENDLY vibe. I'm not sure if it ever will
People that are cold and without a heart or soul often can't see those things in their surroundings; furthermore, people who lack an identity and give off an unfriendly vibe usually get the same in return. Keep searching, you may find yourself.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 06-22-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 04:18 PM

593 posts, read 2,559,689 times
Depends on what is meant by "friendly".
Do people strike up a conversation with you in the checkout line? Yes.
Do they do this everywhere? No.

My parents come to visit from time to time and say "people are so friendly here." I ask why you say that, mom.
She says "Because when I went into tlhat store, the clerk said hello to me and talked to me". I'm pretty sure they are getting paid to do this but didn't want to spoil moms day.

On the surface people are friendly. They can spare a few words in casual conversation. Beyond that...
Nevermind.

It's like any other fast paced big city.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,849,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Most people are from elsewhere and introduce a bit of unfriendlinees to the city/state.
I wouldn't classify it as "unfriendliness" at all, at least not in all cases. Native southerners are a little more open and like to engage strangers. It can be nice and even a bit naive at times. As long as I have time for the pleasantries, I take time to acknowledge and join in.

Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood or I'm in a hurry and want to go about my day without having to acknowledge strangers at the supermarket or other places. If that makes me "unfriendly" then sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
One thing about Atlanta is certain; stay away for any given ten years and you will always return to a very different city.
This is 100% true. Been there...done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
It's like any other fast paced big city.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or