Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,054 times

Advertisements

Hi emma, are you still in atlanta? I see your post is like one year old!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM

95 posts, read 253,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaroonie View Post
I am moving to Atlanta in August just to experience a change. I move around a lot and have lived in loads of different countries. I quite like the idea of attending some kind of amateur dramatics group if anyone can advise me on a good one? I am really sociable but know it's a big city! I have just spent the last 2 years living in a small ski resort in the alps so it will be a big change! any advice people?? thanks! Emma
I am not in Atlanta yet, but I plan to be before long..

Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM

178 posts, read 618,040 times
If you are bringing a UK Salary you will be able to afford a yard (not to be confused with a garden). But sounds like you wants to be in the city. We love Brits here and I'm sure it will be simply no problem at all to make new friends. Midtown/L5P is where all the urban artistic people seem to hangout and you can say they are a bit interesting. A question for you... Why are most of the British girls I meet named Emma?

Old 03-11-2011, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,412 times
how did you get a work visa if your british... iam also british and looking to move to atlanta for personal reasons and could do with some advice!?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM

454 posts, read 821,216 times
We have about 25 UK employees in Atlanta, pretty much all live in Buckhead, Midtown or the Downtown to Decatur belt. Believe it or not if you have the right skills and employer you can get a work visa in about 2 to 6 weeks.

Now if you don't have the right skills (demonstrated by education, work experience) an open job (must be senior and advertised to US citizens first) you go to the back of the line behind pretty much every country in the world and have a 5 year wait at least.

Some companies are obviously ignoring the spirit of the law such as our IBM, Infosys etc who seem to be able to get visas for scores of people even though a real skill shortage does not exist in Atlanta by creating bogus skillsets (similar to the UK) but generally they will only do this if you agree to work for their lower market wages and you will also be trapped (visa specifies company) and not be able to change jobs so IMHO its not worth it.

Only other quick way is to set up or buy an existing business with US employees. Many people actually buy gas stations for example to do this but I think you need to show 500k invested...........

Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM

439 posts, read 852,610 times
Why in the world anyone would change Europe to live in Atlanta is beyond me... Unless is temporary I would not make this change with the volatile job market they have right now.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,087 times
I'll be in Atlanta buckhead. Suburb division. May 29th dear. Check me out. We could have lots of fun. I travel myself. Ive been to Moscow. Lived in israel, Germany. Ukraine. But my home base is in Michigan. My email. detroithal3@aol.com its just an email. I live in Novi michigan. A suburban city

Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
If you play up your British accent...it will take you far. Americans like the sound of it.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM

687 posts, read 744,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
If you play up your British accent...it will take you far. Americans like the sound of it.
Damn right they do....in fact only a couple of weeks back I got given extra McNuggets at the McDonalds drive-thru on Roswell Road!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,087 times
Really. Wooow!!!! Lol. Lol. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta