U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 61,237 times

Advertisements

I may or may not be moving to atlanta in the near future for graduate school at GSU. I've read some posts on here about how it is better for young people to live inside the perimeter. What is the difference between living inside the perimeter vs. outside the perimeter? And what is the perimeter in relation to Georgia State University?

Also, any other advice/tips/help you may have regarding GSU and Atlanta for a single female in her early 20s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:45 PM

593 posts, read 2,566,581 times
Because of the heavy traffic in that area it really is best if you live near the uni and that uni is smack dab in the middle of the perimeter.
A lot of what you get outside the perimeter is families that are settled down. The younger single people without kids that are more concerned with things to do and nightlife as opposed to which elementary schools are the best, live ITP as there is no nightlife to be had outside the perimeter. There are a few single people but they are spread apart, atlanta sprawl takes its toll on social lives- especially with high gas prices and no transit. So if you don't really need peace and quiet but rather decent, affordable, close to college and things to do, then do yourself a favor... find somewhere in town.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM

320 posts, read 460,763 times
For your situation I agree w/ the post above regarding living ITP. However, I am late 20s and I choose to live OTP. I never have been a fan of living where I party. :O)

Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM

115 posts, read 375,724 times
Perimeter=I285. Basically, it is considered the dividing line between the burbs and "in town." However, a lot of "intown" Atlanta looks like the burbs versus other cities. If you are going to GSU, I would recommend living ITP (inside 285) for the commute. Or near a Marta line, because GSU has its own Marta stop.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:13 PM

593 posts, read 2,566,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
For your situation I agree w/ the post above regarding living ITP. However, I am late 20s and I choose to live OTP. I never have been a fan of living where I party. :O)
I chose to live OTP too.
I like peace and quiet, shopping centers and nice big homes on big lots. I should have convinced the OP to move OTP because we need more single people out here!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:08 PM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Here are my suggestions for a would-be grad student at GSU (other than downtown):

Midtown*
Grant Park
Old Fourth Ward (practically next to campus)
Inman Park*
Poncey-Highland
Candler Park*
Decatur(city)*
Midtown*
Virginia-Highland

*These neighborhoods afford the best access to the MARTA rail line

Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,229,109 times
And ohdeverdad, just so you'll be up on the local slang as folks tend to use it here: "ITP" means "inside the perimeter, and "OTP" means "outside the perimeter.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 61,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I chose to live OTP too.
I like peace and quiet, shopping centers and nice big homes on big lots. I should have convinced the OP to move OTP because we need more single people out here!

haha nooo, why would a single girl like myself want to be surrounded by happy couples and families when im all alone ;D maybe one day i'll be able to make my OTP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or