Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times

Advertisements

Again, I present a case that thugs are roaming the streets looking for victims. This was in Central FL again, where I used to live:

From the Orlando Sentinel website:
A group of intruders forced their way inside an Altamonte Springs home overnight and forced a couple under a blanket, according to ClickOrlando.com.

The homeowner told police he was working on an automatic sprinkler timer outside of his house on Hampshire Place Circle around 9:30 p.m. when four men pulled up in a silver four-door Dodge.

One of the men had a gun and held the victim and his wife at gunpoint while the others stole electronic equipment.

Police believe the attack was random. No arrests have been made.

Ok, so you can't even work in your yard at 9:30PM? These criminals drive around looking for people outside at night so they can attack them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Why did crime drop drastically in the 30s and have a meteoric rise in the 60s?. Using an economic model to explain trends in the crime rate is a very incomplete way of looking at a complex problem. Also, I can't speak for Mumbai and Manilla but the statistics and my own personal experience belies what you say about NYC. I do not post this to bash Atlanta or to compare it unfavorably to NYC. I lived in Atlanta years ago, visit often and in general am fond of the city and state of Georgia. There is a serious city wide violent crime problem, and I found the area on Spring Street just north of the Varsity near the Tech campus, as one spot among many to be too dicey for my liking. I'm hoping Atlanta will be able to turn things around like some other cities have, but given the current political situation I'm not holding my breath.
The area on Spring Street north of the Varsity was redeveloped in 2003 and is now called Technology Square. There are several restaurants, a Barnes & Noble, various retail, a hotel, offices, as well as the Georgia Tech School of Management and other Tech offices. It has changed considerbaly from what it was a few years ago...and definitely not a dangerous area anymore.

Tech Square on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wangkai/310069690/in/set-72157594398541807/ - broken link) 11.20.2006 - Atlanta, GA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/if_winter_ends/310702257/ - broken link)

Tech Square on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wangkai/310069411/ - broken link) Technology Square_6260c on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeryjl/2249173832/ - broken link)

Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 AM

233 posts, read 701,187 times
DeaconJ great pictures but tell that to the guy who verbally and physically assaulted me over about a 1/4 of a mile stretch of Spring approaching the Varsity in September of 2008.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Georgia Tech has now agreed to expand after hours shuttle service to Home Park and Centennial Place for the remainder of the summer, and is working on getting "alternate transportation" for those areas this coming fall.

Finally they are getting it...

Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
DeaconJ great pictures but tell that to the guy who verbally and physically assaulted me over about a 1/4 of a mile stretch of Spring approaching the Varsity in September of 2008.
Yes, one incident definitely makes the area "bad".

Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 PM

37 posts, read 134,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Come on Brownhornet you know better than that. Rock music culture and rap music culture has no comparison. Is there misogny with rock music? Yes. Are there often songs about killing in rock music? Yes.

And yet the communities who contribute to the culture of rock do NOT suffer the SAME oppressive amount of poverty, crime and disproportionate deaths relative to the share of the total U.S. population that the black community is.
This reminds me a bit of how when I was growing up everyone was convinced that listening to heavy metal was going to turn kids into baby-sacrificing satanists.

Certainly, I believe most listeners can tell the difference between reality and fantasy or "story-telling". But most young teenager males DO go through periods of wanting to rebel in the form of criminal activity, or just anything else the grownups don't want them doing. Left to their own devices, they can and WILL end up getting into a lot of trouble, and usually get their peers involved as well. Negative music can certainly be an influence to teens - as it gets people "in the mood" and helps twist mindsets. But so can having the wrong sort of "friends" and being exposed to violence in your own neighborhood.

HOWEVER - this is where family and community comes into play again. We're supposed to help keep our kids in line, whatever it takes. Almost all criminal behavior patterns seem to start during these formative years.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
My point is basically its a parents job to help them decipher between what's right and wrong regardless of what they listen to. Out of the people I grew up that wanted to be thugs because of the radio 95% of the time it was because their parents didn't give a damn about what they did and they practically raised themselves.

I think everyone had one of those friends growing up that you knew you could go to their house and do all the things your parents wouldn't let you do at home... and their folks really didn't care or even participated.

As I look back at it those were the ones more likely to actually try to live out what they hear on a song or saw on a video.. mainly because they weren't taught any better. As terrible as it sounds I knew parents that even encouraged their kids to street hustle to bring a few extra dollars home. They were doomed before they even got started.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessOfKvetch View Post
This reminds me a bit of how when I was growing up everyone was convinced that listening to heavy metal was going to turn kids into baby-sacrificing satanists.

Certainly, I believe most listeners can tell the difference between reality and fantasy or "story-telling". But most young teenager males DO go through periods of wanting to rebel in the form of criminal activity, or just anything else the grownups don't want them doing. Left to their own devices, they can and WILL end up getting into a lot of trouble, and usually get their peers involved as well. Negative music can certainly be an influence to teens - as it gets people "in the mood" and helps twist mindsets. But so can having the wrong sort of "friends" and being exposed to violence in your own neighborhood.

HOWEVER - this is where family and community comes into play again. We're supposed to help keep our kids in line, whatever it takes. Almost all criminal behavior patterns seem to start during these formative years.
Yes, most people are able to tell the difference between music and reality. But I am arguing in terms of proportionality, not absolutes. People seem to to consistently mistake my statements for firm proclamations and indictments of an entire group when that is far from the truth.

My opinion has always been that there is a disproportionate amount of people in the black community relative to population share who are committing brazen crimes. Again I am not soley blaming hip hop, but I will say that the lack of exposure to different cultures among some segments of the black community doesn't help matters much especially when proper parenting is relatively scant to nil among said segments.

Call it harsh and call it politically incorrect if you want. I want solutions for this. I want for my South Dekalb community to experience as high a standard of living as everybody else. Just sayin' ya know?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
My point is basically its a parents job to help them decipher between what's right and wrong regardless of what they listen to. Out of the people I grew up that wanted to be thugs because of the radio 95% of the time it was because their parents didn't give a damn about what they did and they practically raised themselves.

I think everyone had one of those friends growing up that you knew you could go to their house and do all the things your parents wouldn't let you do at home... and their folks really didn't care or even participated.

As I look back at it those were the ones more likely to actually try to live out what they hear on a song or saw on a video.. mainly because they weren't taught any better. As terrible as it sounds I knew parents that even encouraged their kids to street hustle to bring a few extra dollars home. They were doomed before they even got started.
Very true. But as I said before, my community seems to have a relatively higher share of these type of kids raising themselves and committing harmful criminal acts. The result is a lack of a decent quality-of-life for my area and areas in other communities.

What's worse is that rather than confront that aspect of black life, my community would rather chase after the prototypical racist boogeymen, or create such ignorant slogans like "stop snitchin'". Who want to live in such a community where the residents would show such incredible indifference to such a harmful slogan?

Something's gone wrong somewhere...

Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,972 times
Also I haven't' found the stop snitchin thing to ring true too much. When the police catch those criminals who are kicking down doors, they usually roll over on their buds in a heartbeat. I am surprised the one kid they arrested, in connection with the Grant Park Bartender murder, has not told on his friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta