Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,388,051 times

Advertisements

See one thing about the stop snitchin rule is people take it out of context. Even though I don't agree with it, it basically meant that when someone committed a crime and got caught that they shouldn't be rolling over on anyone else to get their sentence reduced. It wasn't meant for situations like someone sees a murder and isn't supposed to tell what they saw... but unfortunately that's what its been translated to.

But one thing you have to understand is that even for those that do want to tell, they fear retaliation and know that the law enforcement won't be able to protect them. And its not as if you can keep it a secret because they make the court documents public almost all of the time and its as easy as requesting the court documents or just going to the trial for the persons friends to find out exactly who it was that told. These people then have to go back and live in that same neighborhood because if it isn't a federal case there will be no witness protection.

So in the end telling what you see can often put you in the ground right beside the person you testified for in court and most just don't want to risk that. It was the same way in my neighborhood... something goes down you didn't see anything and kept walking. Sad reality but I definitely understood.

Back in 94 I think it was... something exactly like that happened to this dude I went to school with mother. She testified against this dude that sold crack in the projects because he had one of her kids working for her. Two weeks after the trial they found her body on the railroad tracks and never found half of her torso or a suspect. Everyone in the hood knew what happened but after seeing that who was gonna tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,096,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes, one incident definitely makes the area "bad".
Um, well I hate to break it to you, but this forum does not contain every citizen of Atlanta as a member. The fact that someone on this online forum, which has a membership that probably makes up a tiny percentage of the city population, was the victim of a crime in that area says a lot about the area's safety.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,388,051 times
So if one person gets assaulted in Buckhead, Dunwoody, Roswell, Peachtree City or Sandy Springs does that mean its a bad area? Not to be insensitive to the poster but crime happens everywhere in one form or another. That doesn't make it a bad area.

There have been a couple of incidents in Smyrna but that doesn't make me feel unsafe here.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,095,150 times
A Georgia Tech student was robbed at gun point in his dorm.

Cops: 2 men rob Georgia Tech student in his dorm room on campus *| ajc.com

It happened at the North Avenue Apartments. Sounds like the bad guys slipped in the complex and a student failed to lock his door. Those dorms used to be the GSU Village and GSU had to have tight security there.

But what gets me is this description.

"Both suspects were described as being in their late teens or early 20s. One was wearing a white t-shirt and red basketball shorts. He was armed with the handgun. The second suspect had short dreadlocks, a black hat, khaki tan shorts and a black backpack."

Ok...fairly descriptive, but you can't tell us anything more about the perpetrators?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM

402 posts, read 701,395 times
So the suspects were BLACK. Why won't the AJC just say it?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,611,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
So the suspects were BLACK. Why won't the AJC just say it?
At this point, it's probably assumed.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
This is getting serious. Now kids are getting robbed at gunpoint in their dorm rooms? Georgia Tech REALLY needs to increase their funding for the police department and get a LOT more patrols out there.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,095,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This is getting serious. Now kids are getting robbed at gunpoint in their dorm rooms? Georgia Tech REALLY needs to increase their funding for the police department and get a LOT more patrols out there.
It's probably also due to the students not taking proper precautions.

When those dorms were GSU, they had security gates up. When GT took over, well, I guess GT thought they knew better than GSU and took down the security gates, reasoning that no other place at GT had them. Didn't take long for GT to put them back. Typical GT...they think they know better than anyone else.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It's probably also due to the students not taking proper precautions.

When those dorms were GSU, they had security gates up. When GT took over, well, I guess GT thought they knew better than GSU and took down the security gates, reasoning that no other place at GT had them. Didn't take long for GT to put them back. Typical GT...they think they know better than anyone else.
Dude...that's off-topic. The issue is the crimes and how administration is dealing with them.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,288,552 times
Maybe if Georgia Tech and Georgia State weren't so deep into paying upper-level 6 digit salaries to professors who do more traveling than teaching, these institutions might actually have more money to pay for more and better security for their respective campuses.

I just don't get how the higher echelons of the aforementioned colleges' leadership can sit in their well-insulated bubbles while their campuses are dealing with the fallout of a crappy economy. What really gets me is that no one is holding these guys accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta