U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 57,374 times

Advertisements

What gets me is - I attended Georgia Tech in the early/mid-'90s when not one - but two - public housing projects were located across the street (North Avenue) - and we didn't seem to have anywhere near the crime-rate as the campus has recently had. Techwood Homes was allegedly one of the most crime-ridden housing projects in the nation - yet, students seemed to be much freer to walk on and around campus without becoming a victim. In fact, things were such that you (almost) forgot that there were housing projects nearby.

Don't get me wrong; it wasn't an utopia, and, you knew to watch your back during certain hours or in certain situations - but you just didn't hear about these things happening at anywhere near the frequency that it's happened here recently.

I walked off the campus fairly often - in the North Avenue/Spring Street area. I even walked through the "scary" tunnel that spanned underneath I-75/I-85 to get to places like the Bell South Tower/North Avenue MARTA station. When I drove through campus 3 or 4 years ago, I saw that the tunnel had been chained shut. The probable reason why is well-understood. Times are different, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM

5,007 posts, read 3,492,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post

I walked off the campus fairly often - in the North Avenue/Spring Street area. I even walked through the "scary" tunnel that spanned underneath I-75/I-85 to get to places like the Bell South Tower/North Avenue MARTA station. When I drove through campus 3 or 4 years ago, I saw that the tunnel had been chained shut. The probable reason why is well-understood. Times are different, that's for sure.
That tunnel is usually open for Tech football games and other special events. No reason why it can't stay open during daylight hours.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM

3,209 posts, read 4,515,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
What gets me is - I attended Georgia Tech in the early/mid-'90s when not one - but two - public housing projects were located across the street (North Avenue) - and we didn't seem to have anywhere near the crime-rate as the campus has recently had. Techwood Homes was allegedly one of the most crime-ridden housing projects in the nation - yet, students seemed to be much freer to walk on and around campus without becoming a victim. In fact, things were such that you (almost) forgot that there were housing projects nearby.

Don't get me wrong; it wasn't an utopia, and, you knew to watch your back during certain hours or in certain situations - but you just didn't hear about these things happening at anywhere near the frequency that it's happened here recently.

This is mainly an issue of perception vs reality. Check out the GT news article from 1990, which gives reported crime rates:

Campus Crime Survey Ranks Tech Among Best (or Worst)

In 1990 there were:

2 rapes
23 robberies
11 assaults
160 burglaries
57 motor vehicle thefts
807 thefts

GT | Police Department - Crime Statistics

2013 stats are only available through November (so December crimes aren't included), but in 2013 there were:

2 rapes
6 robberies
3 assaults
39 burglaries
22 motor vehicle thefts
331 thefts

In short, you were dramatically more likely to be the victim of a crime pre-Olympics than you are now. Perception, however, is a different thing than reality. For some reason, there is less of a perception of safety than there used to be.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,614,861 times
Well done in posting these stats.

It is amazing how some people's reality is shaped by a few boogie man stories they read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This is mainly an issue of perception vs reality. Check out the GT news article from 1990, which gives reported crime rates:

In 1990 there were:

2 rapes
23 robberies
11 assaults
160 burglaries
57 motor vehicle thefts
807 thefts

2013 stats are only available through November (so December crimes aren't included), but in 2013 there were:

2 rapes
6 robberies
3 assaults
39 burglaries
22 motor vehicle thefts
331 thefts

In short, you were dramatically more likely to be the victim of a crime pre-Olympics than you are now. Perception, however, is a different thing than reality. For some reason, there is less of a perception of safety than there used to be.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 PM

70 posts, read 139,068 times
Quote:

In 1990 there were:

2 rapes
23 robberies
11 assaults
160 burglaries
57 motor vehicle thefts
807 thefts

2 rapes
6 robberies
3 assaults
39 burglaries
22 motor vehicle thefts
331 thefts

Most likely this is because when even one robbery occurs near tech, everyone instantly knows because of the internet and News sources. Back then, 100 robberies could happen and the only way you would find out is by word of mouth.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,540,131 times
I never realized how close Ga Tech was to English Ave...those kids will never be safe.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM

38 posts, read 57,374 times
Quote:

In 1990 there were:

2 rapes
23 robberies
11 assaults
160 burglaries
57 motor vehicle thefts
807 thefts

2 rapes
6 robberies
3 assaults
39 burglaries
22 motor vehicle thefts
331 thefts

O.k. - I guess I stand corrected. (Thanks for the legwork.) Perception can diverge from reality indeed.

However, there might still be some room for perception and reality being a closer match than these stats indicate. I wonder if the year 2013 represents a tailing off from the height of the crisis - which, according to old news stories that I was able to pull up on the WSB (Channel 2) website - may have been 2009 - 2011. Of course, as students and police respond to the crisis and ramp up crime-prevention efforts - you would expect a decrease over time.

Also - the years that are relevant in terms of my firsthand experience are 1992 (and the last 3 months of 1991), 1993, 1994, and 1995. Although it's quite possible that the crime-rate during these particular years wasn't all that different than it was in 1990 - it's also possible that 1990 was a bad year, and the years when I was on campus weren't (quite) as bad.

Oh well, in any case - I suppose that I was reminded of how easy it is to be swayed by media reports - even if those media reports seem to occur with astonishing frequency at times. Although the crime rates of the early '90s may equal or exceed those of the late "aughts" - twenty years ago, you just didn't get bombarded with news story after news story. Far from it. Also, campus alerts weren't that frequent, IIRC.

I suppose that as a student, I was lucky that I roamed around a bit (not a lot, but often enough) - and took risks by merely walking around the area alone - and never became a victim. Of course, it helps that I rarely walked the streets at night (save for very short distances) - although I did chance it a few times by walking out of the library, and practically running down the hill to my East Campus dorm at late hours.

One time, I even found myself walking through Clark Howell Homes (on Luckie St., or a parallel street) - alone - after participating in a tutoring program at the community elementary school and walking a little girl back to her home. Although I was at least somewhat nervous during the walk, I don't remember seeing or encountering anything that seemed like it could have been an immediate threat (i.e. no threatening individuals or "suspicious" vehicles). I think I remember feeling some relief when I got to North Avenue, or crossed North Avenue.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM

5,007 posts, read 3,492,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I never realized how close Ga Tech was to English Ave...those kids will never be safe.
Not sure if serious

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

28,172 posts, read 24,722,232 times
Quote:

In 1990 there were:

2 rapes
23 robberies
11 assaults
160 burglaries
57 motor vehicle thefts
807 thefts

2 rapes
6 robberies
3 assaults
39 burglaries
22 motor vehicle thefts
331 thefts

Great post, testa. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or