U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 AM

281 posts, read 519,521 times

Advertisements

These thugs need a bullet in the head asap. I wish they would put half the effort they put into robbing students into getting a job or education. But its too late now. They seem to be very trigger happy and need to be put away for a long time. Of course with Cheif Pennington at the helm of the APD they are probably not going away anytime soon. Hopefully they will try to rob the wrong person and end up dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM

18 posts, read 127,407 times
Truly awful. Easy targets loaded with IPODs, IPhone, Laptops etc. At least they have secured the campus itself it seems. These incidents are just off of campus.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,406,793 times
People get robbed in every country in the world everyday. With that being said, instead of them being caught, kill them. One less criminal on earth!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,940,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTigers19 View Post
Truly awful. Easy targets loaded with IPODs, IPhone, Laptops etc. At least they have secured the campus itself it seems. These incidents are just off of campus.
Campus is a lot tougher to crack...there are fewer entrances and exits, less cover, and more cops and possible witnesses. I'm glad there have been fewer incidents on the east side of campus on my walk home but I have no illusions of safety there. Problem is there are likely more than one group of robbers out there preying on students.

Attempting to rob the wrong person is bound to happen sooner or later given how brazen these guys are. My brother's friend lives on the west side of tech and the best way to describe him would be armed to the teeth. Given how much firearms training the guy's been attending lately, I'd venture to say he's waiting for some idiot robber to make his day. Probably not the ideal situation to have a shootout w/ some punk muggers but incompetent police are a serious problem in this city. There have been murders almost nightly in ATL these past few months and the % of suspects is damned near zero.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 AM

58 posts, read 129,403 times
a buddy of mine lives in home park right off of hemphill and after being the victim of a house invasion, he is now packing heat

Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM

826 posts, read 2,734,772 times
I hope this doesnt start a war, but I kind of blame the undesirables hanging around Atlantic Station. And now since school is out I fear things will only get worse.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 AM

625 posts, read 911,668 times
They be crazy up on that west side!! ain't no kiddin

Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 AM

37 posts, read 115,613 times
People can defend their homes all they want, but how does "packing heat" at home prevent someone from getting mugged in the street? Most of the chest-pounding machismo barked out here is just plain dangerous, and will get people killed.

Even if you happen to BE armed (and this is certainly not something that a university would allow its students to do) that doesn't mean much if someone gets the jump on you. Most citizens are not trained to "disarm" people with guns, or keep their cool in such a situation. You don't argue with someone who has a gun pointed at your head. Your main goal in keeping alive is to get the gun AWAY from your body as quickly as possible... and then to provide the ACTUAL cops as much detail as you can in terms of a description of the perps and their vehicle.

The real solution here is a greater police presence patrolling the Home Park region. But I doubt the Home park residents are affluent enough to afford to pitch in for the off-duty cops that, say, "Midtown Alliance" can afford. Reporting suspicious activity goes a long way though, as does getting to know your neighbors. If I had to make an educated guess... Home Park is suffering from proximity to English Avenue - an area even most long-time residents of Vine City are afraid to wander into at night.

There are several neighborhood community-watch websites that stay active in trying to disseminate information on local criminals, too. Kirkwood Neighborhood Organization (http://www.historic-kirkwood.com) is one of the best... they actually list the names and DOC #'s of real offenders, and at times even numbers of their parole officers. Please refrain from bringing the quality of the forum down by making blanket racist statements, when we should be concentrating on targeting the specific thugs causing the problem.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,232,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessOfKvetch View Post
You don't argue with someone who has a gun pointed at your head. Your main goal in keeping alive is to get the gun AWAY from your body as quickly as possible... and then to provide the ACTUAL cops as much detail as you can in terms of a description of the perps and their vehicle.
Not arguing with the thugs and waiting for the ACTUAL cops did not help that kid that got shot by the robbers, even after he cooperated. In too many cases recently, calling 911 just lets the cops know where to send the coroner.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 AM

257 posts, read 572,208 times
Isn't it sort of crazy that we have to live in a country where we have to arm ourselves? That's more like a third world country. I am not anti-guns or whatever, but it seems like a uncivil area near Ga Tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or