Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

Simpson Property Group | Dwell in Satisfaction

Check out these 3 bedrooms in Smyrna for $1000. Gated community, great schools, etc! Come on and move down. Its cheaper here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Schools in Cobb and Gwinnett are great.

51 Georgia schools among nation's best | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/14/best_schools.html - broken link)

For the second straight year, 51 of the nation’s 1,500 best public high schools are in Georgia, according to Newsweek magazine.

Walton High School in East Cobb is Georgia’s highest ranking school, earning the No. 90 spot. Twelve schools in Cobb County made the list, along with Marietta High School.
Gwinnett County has 13 schools on the list.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Look on craigslist. I would imagine you would want to keep your rent to 700-800. A quick search in the marietta area shows some 2 and 3 bedroom homes in that price range.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
I would say no, mainly because you would end up in either the same financial bind or even worse down here on that income. I know some single, childless people who are stretching with similar incomes, so I couldn't imagine trying to do it with a spouse and children.

Although I am a transplant myself (moved here from Los Angeles 10 years ago), I often wonder what brings people here these days. In recent years, the majority of the folks that I have met who dropped everything and moved here ended up either in the same type of situation that they left or worse. An hourly worker in another city will more than likely still be an hourly worker in Atlanta, only with either higher rent or a longer commute depending on what city they moved from.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
The answer to that question is a decisive no. We moved here because it was the only place my husband could find a job. And he had the job before we moved. Even coming with considerable equity to put into a new home, and a fairly decent income from my husband's job, it is a struggle and we only have one child. Everything here is expensive. Things that I took for granted that were low/no cost options back home cost considerably more here. Taking your child to pretty much anything like the zoo or the Aquarium is an absolute non-starter. Atlanta is the nickel and dime capital of the southeast. I would say that a family of four coming here with an income less than $70k plus is out of their minds. When you are poor coming to an expensive city with limited public transportation and extremely limited support options is just a bad idea. And in this economy? Do yourself and your children a favor and stay put.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
The average family makes under $50K so if one can't get by on $70K they probably need to look at what they are spending their money on. I am not saying you live like a king at $70k but if you budget you should be able to get by and over time get ahead.

As mentioned before it depends where you are coming from but Atlanta is cheap compared to most major cities. And of course the major metros are where you find the most jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
The answer to that question is a decisive no. We moved here because it was the only place my husband could find a job. And he had the job before we moved. Even coming with considerable equity to put into a new home, and a fairly decent income from my husband's job, it is a struggle and we only have one child. Everything here is expensive. Things that I took for granted that were low/no cost options back home cost considerably more here. Taking your child to pretty much anything like the zoo or the Aquarium is an absolute non-starter. Atlanta is the nickel and dime capital of the southeast. I would say that a family of four coming here with an income less than $70k plus is out of their minds. When you are poor coming to an expensive city with limited public transportation and extremely limited support options is just a bad idea. And in this economy? Do yourself and your children a favor and stay put.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Quote:
Where did you move from?

I think the living here is pretty darn cheap. The housing is cheap. We have fairly high electricity rates but we don't pay hundreds or thousands each month for heating in the winter. Water is dirt cheap considering we don't have very much of it.
Property taxes are easily half or one third what they are in the northeast.

Maybe it's because you live in dunwoody which is a pricey area but most people in atlanta don't make 70k+.

As far as things to do, there are things to do that are cheap family fun if not totally free. The admission to the zoo is $14 per child and $19 for an adult. I fail to see how that is unreasonable. I hear dthe aquarium is expensive but come on.. how many times a year are you going to do those things?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
The average family makes under $50K so if one can't get by on $70K they probably need to look at what they are spending their money on. I am not saying you live like a king at $70k but if you budget you should be able to get by and over time get ahead.

As mentioned before it depends where you are coming from but Atlanta is cheap compared to most major cities. And of course the major metros are where you find the most jobs.
I know exactly what we spend our money on, and I still maintain that Atlanta is no place for a family with less than $70k. I'm darned good with a budget and we still struggle. The OP is not coming from a major city. He's coming from what sounds like a small town. And having come from a small town, I'm here to tell you ATLANTA IS NOT CHEAP. For those who transfer here from the northeast or California with those salaries and that equity, sure, it's Nirvana, but for the rest of us? Not so much. Not only that, but the services available here to low income people are nearly non-existent, and difficult to get to and access. Childcare and activities for young children? FUHGEDABOUTIT! Unless you've got money and lots of it, Atlanta is no place to come with young children.

It's almost impossible to live here without a car, and a car eats up a lot more money. Most of the cars that poor people could afford won't pass emissions. Then what?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what we spend our money on, and I still maintain that Atlanta is no place for a family with less than $70k. I'm darned good with a budget and we still struggle. The OP is not coming from a major city. He's coming from what sounds like a small town. And having come from a small town, I'm here to tell you ATLANTA IS NOT CHEAP. For those who transfer here from the northeast or California with those salaries and that equity, sure, it's Nirvana, but for the rest of us? Not so much. Not only that, but the services available here to low income people are nearly non-existent, and difficult to get to and access. Childcare and activities for young children? FUHGEDABOUTIT! Unless you've got money and lots of it, Atlanta is no place to come with young children.

It's almost impossible to live here without a car, and a car eats up a lot more money. Most of the cars that poor people could afford won't pass emissions. Then what?
You can live here with a car if you live near the Marta line

Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Of course you think living here is cheap. As I said, compared to the Northeast pretty much anywhere is cheap except maybe CA. I think $60 for a family of three to go to zoo is pretty darned pricey. Especially when most towns here in the southeast it costs half that. I think $15 per head to take your kid to the children's museum is pricey, especially when other cities it's less than that and the parents don't have to pay at all.

I moved here from Huntsville AL. Where salaries are high (in certain fields) and the cost of living actually is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Where did you move from?

I think the living here is pretty darn cheap. The housing is cheap. We have fairly high electricity rates but we don't pay hundreds or thousands each month for heating in the winter. Water is dirt cheap considering we don't have very much of it.
Property taxes are easily half or one third what they are in the northeast.

Maybe it's because you live in dunwoody which is a pricey area but most people in atlanta don't make 70k+.

As far as things to do, there are things to do that are cheap family fun if not totally free. The admission to the zoo is $14 per child and $19 for an adult. I fail to see how that is unreasonable. I hear dthe aquarium is expensive but come on.. how many times a year are you going to do those things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta