Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,286 times

Advertisements

Ok, so before I begin, just know that I mean no offense to anyone and the only way I can get what I want is to be "blunt."

First, a little about myself.

4th generation Atlantan here. The Atlanta I grew up in was a very different place than now, and my wife and I moved after we graduated Tech in 1975. I got a great job in Memphis, and we stayed there until my oldest daughter was in the 8th grade. We had always wanted to move back to Atlanta, so we did so before she started at Walton High School in the summer of 2000.

Well, we noticed a very different Atlanta in terms of religion. After we moved to East Cobb, we started to attend Buckhead Church, as it conforms to our evangelical faith. Yet, we could not help but notice how many more Catholics there were in Atlanta (esp. East Cobb) then when we left. Atlanta has always, ALWAYS, been a city with only a sprinkling of Catholics and nearly 95% Protestant.

Although it bothered us to have so many Catholics for neighbors (please, no offense we just arent used to it), it really upset us when our daughter started dating one. Luck would have it that they remained together through college, got married last summer, and before I knew it my daughter had converted to Catholicism, and is about to baptize her new baby Catholic...

Me and my wife are beside ourselves. It did not help when I spoke with an old friend, a religion professor at UGA, and he said Atlanta is becoming the capital/mecca/beacon of "southern Catholicism", and the number of Catholics is exploding due to all the transplants.

We now fear our younger daughter (14), will follow down the same path of her older sister. We desperately want to stay in Atlanta, but we don't know where to move to be with our own kind.

Real Estate agents are clueless in terms of the religion of an area, so I thought I would get on here and see what info I could gather.

Basically we want an area that is above I-20, only as far west as Smyrna, as far east as Decatur, and as far north as Cumming. And, as this whole article already says, we dont want to live around a lot of Catholics, so an area with a large (95%) amount of protestant residents. Price needs to be less than $1,000,000, and schools dont matter b/c if they are bad we will use private.

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM

117 posts, read 505,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronson60 View Post
Ok, so before I begin, just know that I mean no offense to anyone and the only way I can get what I want is to be "blunt."

First, a little about myself.

4th generation Atlantan here. The Atlanta I grew up in was a very different place than now, and my wife and I moved after we graduated Tech in 1975. I got a great job in Memphis, and we stayed there until my oldest daughter was in the 8th grade. We had always wanted to move back to Atlanta, so we did so before she started at Walton High School in the summer of 2000.

Well, we noticed a very different Atlanta in terms of religion. After we moved to East Cobb, we started to attend Buckhead Church, as it conforms to our evangelical faith. Yet, we could not help but notice how many more Catholics there were in Atlanta (esp. East Cobb) then when we left. Atlanta has always, ALWAYS, been a city with only a sprinkling of Catholics and nearly 95% Protestant.

Although it bothered us to have so many Catholics for neighbors (please, no offense we just arent used to it), it really upset us when our daughter started dating one. Luck would have it that they remained together through college, got married last summer, and before I knew it my daughter had converted to Catholicism, and is about to baptize her new baby Catholic...

Me and my wife are beside ourselves. It did not help when I spoke with an old friend, a religion professor at UGA, and he said Atlanta is becoming the capital/mecca/beacon of "southern Catholicism", and the number of Catholics is exploding due to all the transplants.

We now fear our younger daughter (14), will follow down the same path of her older sister. We desperately want to stay in Atlanta, but we don't know where to move to be with our own kind.

Real Estate agents are clueless in terms of the religion of an area, so I thought I would get on here and see what info I could gather.

Basically we want an area that is above I-20, only as far west as Smyrna, as far east as Decatur, and as far north as Cumming. And, as this whole article already says, we dont want to live around a lot of Catholics, so an area with a large (95%) amount of protestant residents. Price needs to be less than $1,000,000, and schools dont matter b/c if they are bad we will use private.

Thanks so much in advance!
I really doubt you will be able to find an area that is completely protestant since there is no precise way to know where everyone in a community goes to church. My suggestion would be to just find a nice middle-upper class neighborhood and hope for the best.

Last edited by Dart03; 06-24-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,349,186 times
If you want to raise your children in a bubble (to ensure they aren't affected by "outside influences") then either home school them or send them to a baptist school.

But, please, let me know where you decide to live so I can make sure I don't move in next to you.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,867,305 times
OP, could Jesus be calling you to be more open to other kinds of Christians? What does the parable of the good Samaritan say to you? As a good evangelical, you must believe that the Bible speaks to your life circumstances today.

If your elder daughter is a faithful church-attending Roman Catholic, then are you not more blessed than many other parents whose kids fall away from the Lord?

Have you prayed about this? What does the Lord have to say to you? It just seems to me not much like Jesus that His message for you in all this would be to take up your younger daughter and move to a place where there are only Protestants.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
To the OP:

Yeah, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for in Atlanta. This is now a city of nearly a million catholics, probably about 100,000 buddhists, 100 to 200,000 muslims, a few hundred thousand Hindu's (a various other indian sects) with the largest Hindu temple outside India, thousands of wiccans, atheists and devil worshippers. All living every where in every neighborhood.

I'm not sure what planet you live on but the last time I checked this isn't the 19th century. Unless you live in the podunkiest of towns you will have to interact with other cultures and religions. Time to come in to the 21st century dude and realize that you being overbearing, and frankly bigoted towards catholics, like that is probably what made your daughter go and marry one.

I think you'll be better off in South Carolina if that sort of thing bothers you:

Christian Exodus

Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM

593 posts, read 2,883,715 times
Is northern gwinnett within one of the areas you will move because there is one baptist church after another lined up on just about every street. You cannot turn a corner without seeing a baptist church.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM

281 posts, read 614,900 times
I wouldn't worry about it much. There is no god so you are really wasting a lot of time and money. I would personally find an area with a lot of unitarians.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,214,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronson60 View Post

They're probably not all completely clueless; they're not allowed to discuss those type of demographics with you.

And to the rest of you, hush. He wasn't asking for opinions on his religion and how he raises his family.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times
Wow, the OP is a bit of the south I only read about, and fortunately have never experienced. How the heck does anybody know the religion of all their neighbors unless they make a point of asking? Live, and let live.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,286 times
For those of you who did respond nicely and helpfully, thank you.

Gwinnett may work, what area/city were you referring to?

And I am not going around asking people thier religion. Catholics seem to be very open about it and seem somewhat "in your face" about Atlanta's Catholic growth (no offense meant!).

Also, its not like I have never lived around a few Catholics. Like I said, Atlanta was like any other southern city with just a sprinkling here and there. My neighborhood in East Cobb (Hampton Farms), is probably 85% Catholic. I feel as if I am in the Northeast, and we just don't want our younger daughter falling for what our older daughter did.

I know Atlanta isnt what it used to be, but we would really like to stay here, while at the same time being in an area that is heavily (95%+) protestant.

That may be true about real estate agents. Either way, I was hoping to gain some insight on this website.

We just feel surrounded in our neighborhood, and at the pool a neighbor even asked us if we "go to St. Ann's or Holy Family," assuming that we were Catholic and not even asking our denomination first. All my daughters neighborhood friends are Catholic, and I even found a rosary in her room that one of her friends had given her. None of her friends are protestant (let alone our denomination, baptist). We just feel stifled and fear that if we stay we will loose our younger daughter too.

My wife and I grew up around protestants and we feel our daughter should too. I am hoping to confirm that this is possible in Atlanta, which we should not forget is in the "bible belt".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta