Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I wonder how many people would be vacationing in Atlanta just to visit Buttermilk Bottom?
I'm going to go with zero:

Buttermilk Bottom in 1959. The man on the right is former Mayor Hartsfield

Redirect URL
Beford Pine/Remenants of Buttermilk Bottom in 1968

I can appreciate why those who look at the demolition of Buttermilk Bottom as having destroyed a unique culture, we should also make it clear what that neighborhood was. It was nothing more than a shantytown.

The roads were not paved, there was no sewer system, limited or no running water, limited electricity. There was also a massive train yard and several dozen factories surrounding the area. There was no trash pickup service, so rubbish and human waste just piled up on the "streets". The only access to clean water was through the use of wells that were contaminated by trash, fecal matter, and industrial waste. Disease was rampant and infant mortality was high.

Due to the Segregation laws, public education was almost non-existent which meant you had generations of people living in this area with no education not because they didn't want one, but because they could not have one. This created a situation where you had a population who could only perform lowest level of jobs and thus could not save up to move to a better middle class black neighborhood or any where out of there. People in turn turned to substance abuse or criminal activity in high numbers.

Basically we're talking not much different than the slums you would find today in Mumbai, India. I don't say this to be disparaging, but the dynamics are pretty much the same. In the Mumbai slums you have low skilled, lowly educated population who are that way due in part to quasi-segregation in Indian society.

So, yeah, Buttermilk Bottom sounds exactly like the place I'd want to spend my vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM

12 posts, read 41,773 times
thats true that atlanta has the world's busiest airport but it's mostly because its the super hub of Delta airlines. Most of the people that go to Hartsfield are just transeferring to another flight. Not knocking Atlanta (I live here and I think its the greatest city in the world.), but Hartsfields numbers are'nt a good statistic to go by when thinking about tourists in Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTATL View Post
thats true that atlanta has the world's busiest airport but it's mostly because its the super hub of Delta airlines. Most of the people that go to Hartsfield are just transeferring to another flight. Not knocking Atlanta (I live here and I think its the greatest city in the world.), but Hartsfields numbers are'nt a good statistic to go by when thinking about tourists in Atlanta.
How so when considering this fact:

Quote:
Atlanta attracts the thirteenth-highest number of foreign tourists of any city in the United States, with more than 478,000 foreign visitors arriving in the city in 2007.[64] That same year (according to Forbes), it was estimated that Atlanta attracted 37 million visitors into the city.
Now I know traffic is bad on the connector, but most of those people are coming here by way of Hartsfield-Jackson.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 PM

As a side note, I'm surprised after several threads people haven't actually pulled out the only thing that real counts when talking about tourism: how many people actually visit a city.

Here is the list in another thread, but for those who won't follow the link 37 million people visited Atlanta in 2007 placing it at the 6th most visited city in America. Las Vegas placed first, L.A. second, Orlando third, New York City fourth and Chicago in fifth.

Forbes:Americas 30 most visited cities!

You can argue all you want about what Atlanta has or doesn't have, but basing whether or not a city is worth visiting or is visited is just plain silly.

Granted, most of the people who come here are on business, but this city has tons of attractions for the common tourist. From Art, to Museums, to Family Oriented places, to historical areas. Just because we don't have the Liberty Bell doesn't mean we don't have a history or culture that has shaped American life. Does the Civil Rights era ring a bell?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:14 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
How so when considering this fact:

Now I know traffic is bad on the connector, but most of those people are coming here by way of Hartsfield-Jackson.

Alot of the numbers were from all the coventions and things that go on in Atlanta. This is a buisness city so alot of people that are visitin atlanta are here on buisness.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Alot of the numbers were from all the coventions and things that go on in Atlanta. This is a buisness city so alot of people that are visitin atlanta are here on buisness.
Which is a great thing that most of our tourism comes from that. I used to travel all the time for business and you'd be shocked how much companies allow their employees to spend on a daily basis. There would be trips where I'd easily spend $10k in the course of a month with everything combined, and I'm really conservative with how I spend. If you get a business convention with 100,000 people and they all spend an average of about $250 a day, that's a lot of money for the local revenue.

I'd take that over the St. Louis Arch any day

Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Which is a great thing that most of our tourism comes from that. I used to travel all the time for business and you'd be shocked how much companies allow their employees to spend on a daily basis. There would be trips where I'd easily spend $10k in the course of a month with everything combined, and I'm really conservative with how I spend. If you get a business convention with 100,000 people and they all spend an average of about $250 a day, that's a lot of money for the local revenue.

I'd take that over the St. Louis Arch any day
Exactly...those people are still considered tourists. GWCC is one of the biggest and best attractions Atlanta has to offer.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,177 times
sorry atlanta! you just dont have the exitement that i love about N.Y.C. "MARTA"? is that someones fat aunt? no beaches. too many pine trees. too many panhandlers. more crime per capita for acity that claims the people are so layed back. give them the keys to your car and see just how layed back they are!!! hmmm?stop talkin smack!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM

6,719 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I go to Atlanta frequently for business. As one of my co-workers likes to say "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there".

Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 AM

6,719 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Does the Civil Rights era ring a bell?
True, but many people visit Montgomery and Selma for that.

If I did live in Atlanta, I'd be enjoying the beautiful women and great climate, not defending it to strangers on a message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta