U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 PM

2,163 posts, read 7,496,488 times

Advertisements

In the late 1990s I worked for a couple of years in West Point for a telecom company based there (Knology). At that time, the local economy was barely limping along on jobs at West Point Stevens textile mills that paid about $8 an hour, typical retail jobs that paid about the same, and some jobs in the local telecom business that paid quite good but required a lot more skills than most of the local labor market could offer.

What a difference a decade and a Kia factory makes. I was in West Point not long ago and was floored by the change in attitude around town and all the new business activity in the area. West Point used to be a town where the future economic outlook was bleak and where the population was shrinking. I noticed quite a few businesses with a little Korean flag in the window and a sign that says "Welcome to our town!". All those $15 an hour jobs at Kia are the best thing that ever happened to that Troup and Harris county, and neighboring Chambers and Lee county, AL.

One thing has not changed. Just a few minutes outside "downtown" West Point, Aunt Ann's Kitchen in Lannett, AL serves a great buffet style genuine southern cooked lunch for about $6 cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 PM

323 posts, read 1,043,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relytparker View Post
I did my first interveiw for maintenance team member and have to go to an 8 hour training and second interview.
The 8 hour training and second interview is combined? Or is it two different days?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 9,560 times
It is not a second interview and it is not training, when you get called back for the second part for maintenance it is hands on testing. People they do not have to pay you for the 24 hours for production members and 8 hours for maintenance because it is not training, you have not been hired yet. It is hands on testing and the $15.00 an hour is not a slave wage. It is a starting wage that will go up to $23+ an hour for production and almost $30 an hour for maintenance, and the benefits are incredible.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 21,929 times
Anyone made it past the physical phase yet? This wednesday will be 2 weeks since I took mine. I feel that I did very well with the reaction of the staff. Any pointers? BTW, going out for MTM.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_trip View Post
Anyone made it past the physical phase yet? This wednesday will be 2 weeks since I took mine. I feel that I did very well with the reaction of the staff. Any pointers? BTW, going out for MTM.
What are you applying for maint. or production?What does BTW,going out for MTM mean?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM

By the way, going out for Maint team member

Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
By the way, going out for Maint team member
What did you hve to do on the hands on test?I pass the written test last month.I have taken alot of test but that one was brutal.One guy walked out after he started.What do you think, Rolling trip?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,163,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They're not working, they're in a class being tested to see if they can assemble parts.
If it's a 40 hour "testing" phase like someone said, that seems over the line.

If the "testing" happens before the job offer and is part of the interview process, then it would be ok. (but not anywhere near 40 hours worth of testing!)

If they say "You might be hired if you pass this test" ~ that's ok.

If they say "You're hired, now let's see how you do on these tests" ~ that's wrong. (and if you "fail" the test after 1 or 2 days, you would have to be paid)

Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm1959 View Post
What did you hve to do on the hands on test?I pass the written test last month.I have taken alot of test but that one was brutal.One guy walked out after he started.What do you think, Rolling trip?

mech, plc, pnuematic, and welding. I bombed the mech test, so don't get frustrated. I got the call Tuesday night to start work on the 29th

Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
mech, plc, pnuematic, and welding. I bombed the mech test, so don't get frustrated. I got the call Tuesday night to start work on the 29th
March 29? That is awesome and real soon ,congratulation! When did you have your written assesment? Also how long did they call you after your hands on test did they schedule your physical?Did the hands on take 8 hours? I am really thankful for your answers.I am getting very excited because my hands on is coming up soon.Hopefully I will be on board in the future. I take it you will be on first shift for training,did they tell you how long is the training?I heard Sept. was start up for second shift.
Thanks again.

Last edited by cmm1959; 03-11-2010 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or