Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times

Advertisements

Some of you might remember my older apartment search thread, but since then I've found a friend who will volunteer as a roomate and we discussed the possibility of renting a single family home w/garage and for more privacy than an apartment complex could provide.

We know everything about what comes with renting a home (maintaining the property, stricter background/credit check, sewage and other utilities) I just want to hear about any info you have about any subdivisions where renters are welcome.

Intown suburbs would be ideal; one story; $900-$1400

Ask for any info you need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
I don't know about in-town but in the burbs residents are usually not too thrilled about homes in their sub being rentals. It makes one feel like their neighborhood is in decline. Anyway, people don't really take this personally against the renter but you may not get your welcome to the neighborhood basket if you move into a rental home.

Although I've never rented a home, I'd imagine--- just a guess--- that it could be a better overall experience. The apartment companies are generally a bunch of turdblossoms, that's putting it nicely. They hassle you over this, that and the other thing. So many rules, they can enter at will, they give you a hard time over parking and they jack up the rents every chance they get. The home rental market is more competitive so if you don't like one landlord, you can find another one. There are plenty of desperate home owners out that that need to move but can't sell right now and can't afford the payments without a renter.

I think the biggest risk--- again I have not done this, this is just a guess, since you have no other replies yet--- is that if you decide you like the home and your job is nearby and you like the neighborhood, all of a sudden the LL can say "Hey guess what. I've decided to sell the home so take a hike"

Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I don't know about in-town but in the burbs residents are usually not too thrilled about homes in their sub being rentals. It makes one feel like their neighborhood is in decline. Anyway, people don't really take this personally against the renter but you may not get your welcome to the neighborhood basket if you move into a rental home.

Although I've never rented a home, I'd imagine--- just a guess--- that it could be a better overall experience. The apartment companies are generally a bunch of turdblossoms, that's putting it nicely. They hassle you over this, that and the other thing. So many rules, they can enter at will, they give you a hard time over parking and they jack up the rents every chance they get. The home rental market is more competitive so if you don't like one landlord, you can find another one. There are plenty of desperate home owners out that that need to move but can't sell right now and can't afford the payments without a renter.

I think the biggest risk--- again I have not done this, this is just a guess, since you have no other replies yet--- is that if you decide you like the home and your job is nearby and you like the neighborhood, all of a sudden the LL can say "Hey guess what. I've decided to sell the home so take a hike"
Thank you for that info. But wouldn't the landlord give a few weeks/months notice that they've decided to sell?

I would assume that just telling the renter and expecting them out in the next couple of days would be violating some type of code.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Yes if you find a decent human being to be your LL.
There are a lot of undecent, desperate people that try to write their own contract or do things that may not be legal.

Even if they give you a reasonable amount of notice, this could could mean having to find a new place to rent when perhaps the market is not as favorable to buyers or renters or have to change school districts or be farther away from work.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for when you say "intown suburbs." But intown neighborhoods I am familiar with (Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake, Oakhurst) all have plenty of rental housing stock and there is no bias against rental property (as long as it is well-maintained, etc.). I am not sure of the laws in Georgia, but having owned rental property in another state, I believe it is standard for a lease to supersede a sales contract. So your landlord cannot evict you if s/he sells the house. You should definitely find out what the law is in GA though. However, foreclosures are a serious problem for rental property right now. You can be evicted by the bank if the property owner is foreclosed upon.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for when you say "intown suburbs." But intown neighborhoods I am familiar with (Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake, Oakhurst) all have plenty of rental housing stock and there is no bias against rental property (as long as it is well-maintained, etc.). I am not sure of the laws in Georgia, but having owned rental property in another state, I believe it is standard for a lease to supersede a sales contract. So your landlord cannot evict you if s/he sells the house. You should definitely find out what the law is in GA though. However, foreclosures are a serious problem for rental property right now. You can be evicted by the bank if the property owner is foreclosed upon.
thank you for that information. I did not know any of that. I'll keep it in mind.

And what I mean by intown burbs is the first ring of "suburban" areas that have proximity to the city center. In Atlanta it would be places like Decatur, College Park, Fulton county, probably west Dekalb co and north Clayton co. I dont know the area that well but I know these places are closer in.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 AM

200 posts, read 983,508 times
As for home rentals, you might do best by driving around neighborhoods you are interested in and look for houses with rental signs.

I see a number of "For Rent by Owner" signs as I drive around inside the perimeter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta