U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 17,536 times
Default When to apply for teaching jobs

Hi, I will be graduating from college in Dec with a BS in English Edu. With it being the middle of the school year, I know I have a slim chance of finding a job around that time... But to get a head start on the following school year, is there any advice out there on when to start applying and looking at schools for applying? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 AM

45 posts, read 119,247 times
Contracts go out in March so I would start at the beginning of April once the principals see which positions will be left to filled.

It WILL be harder in the middle of the year but a long term sub position would get your foot in the door for the following year at many schools. Many teachers (including myself!) plan pregnancies the 2nd half of the year.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,964,061 times
I would apply as soon as possible...it never hurts to have your application in and ready to go. You can always update the information online when you graduate.

Also, plan to attend job fairs in March for the systems you're interested in. Those are an excellent way to get hired, as there are representatives from each school within the system and many will offer contracts on the spot. Check the system web sites in January or February for the dates, and pre-register online.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 14,259 times
With budget cuts and increased class size, many schools have had to cut positions so don't get too discouraged if you don't get something right away. The economy has finally hit teaching jobs. I would do what was said above about job fairs etc but then zero in on an area you would like to teach in and then sub for those schools. Drop your resume off at the school and let them know you will be subbing. Principals like hiring people that have already been in the building working.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 17,536 times
Thanks yall.. I am willing to take a job anywhere.... I will most def look at the job fairs, and look into being a sub or whatever is avail

Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,964,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggs4dayz View Post
Thanks yall.. I am willing to take a job anywhere.... I will most def look at the job fairs, and look into being a sub or whatever is avail
Keep in mind also that most systems hire subs during the summer prior to the upcoming school year, and they only offer the orientation for subs at that time. So don't wait on that either...now is probably the time to get a substitute position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta