U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,257 posts, read 1,809,548 times
Reputation: 710

Advertisements

I am in the process of registering my child for public school. Because of a pending move I have had to check with two different county public school systems (Cherokee and Fulton). They both want a copy of her social security card. Why? And how can this be legal? Don't they at least have to divulge the purpose of recording her number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
 
3,564 posts, read 7,475,391 times
Reputation: 1041
You can get a waiver, easily in my experience (and most people do)

I think it is left from the days when the ss# was the ID number that schools used to track students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Dacula, GA
152 posts, read 297,102 times
Reputation: 62
I imagine they do it so they can confirm your child is who you say they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: St. Paul's East Side
550 posts, read 1,010,846 times
Reputation: 255
I don't know about Georgia, but here in Minnesota the three districts where my kids have been enrolled over the years have all asked for SSN but I have always declined to give my kids' SSN. It's never been a prblem. Then again, I've never been asked for my kid's SSN CARD.

I'll be interested to hear what happens when parents refuse to divulge their kids' SSN or submit a photocopy of the card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,257 posts, read 1,809,548 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
I imagine they do it so they can confirm your child is who you say they are.
Isn't that the purpose of the certified birth certificate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Canton, GA
245 posts, read 863,302 times
Reputation: 172
They ask for the ssn for informational purposes, but you can sign a waiver so you don't have to give it out. But they shouldn't be asking for the card, maybe it's just a newbie in the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
 
593 posts, read 1,706,677 times
Reputation: 258
You know...

Isn't it about time we had a separate numbering system for student identification throughout school and college?

It's rediculous to keep using the SSN numbers for student identification an everything else.. When I was in college they posted SSN's on the wall with test scores.

SSN's need to be kept private and there needs to be another layer of security so that identity thieves cannot just fill out a credit card application with someone else's SSN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,257 posts, read 1,809,548 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
They ask for the ssn for informational purposes, but you can sign a waiver so you don't have to give it out. But they shouldn't be asking for the card, maybe it's just a newbie in the office.
This is no newbie in the office. This is what is posted on the school's website as officially required by the school: "The following documents are needed to register a child at [school]:... Social Security Number and copy of card"

But according to the Fulton County School System website: "
Social security numbers are voluntary. Waivers are available in local schools. Applications for social security numbers are also available in local schools. Migrant number is acceptable."

I'm still not sure what purpose there is behind requesting the number, especially if the act of providing it is voluntary. But then I should remember that this is after all a public school system, and "purpose" or "sense" shouldn't really be expected for any of their policies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
This is no newbie in the office. This is what is posted on the school's website as officially required by the school: "The following documents are needed to register a child at [school]:... Social Security Number and copy of card"

But according to the Fulton County School System website: "Social security numbers are voluntary. Waivers are available in local schools. Applications for social security numbers are also available in local schools. Migrant number is acceptable."

I'm still not sure what purpose there is behind requesting the number, especially if the act of providing it is voluntary. But then I should remember that this is after all a public school system, and "purpose" or "sense" shouldn't really be expected for any of their policies.


And you are still willing to have your child educated at a place where policies have no purpose or sense? Hmmmmm...that's odd. I think if I held that opinion of a school system then I certainly wouldn't be enrolling my child there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,257 posts, read 1,809,548 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And you are still willing to have your child educated at a place where policies have no purpose or sense? Hmmmmm...that's odd. I think if I held that opinion of a school system then I certainly wouldn't be enrolling my child there.
Are you offering to fund my child's private school education?

Even if money weren't an issue, private schools have their own issues. Ever hear their claims that their children are a year ahead of the public schools? Do you wonder how they accomplish that? I don't have to wonder anymore: I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top