U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 2,567 times
I wish I grew up in a St. Regis Residence or above the Four Seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:35 AM

713 posts, read 413,301 times
Having lived in a midtown high rise when single, and now that I have kids (and live in a house), I think it would be inconvenient to live in the high rise once the children were over age 4 or 5. With babies, you have the carseat carriers which are pretty heavy--when the kid falls asleep you'll want to lug the whole carrier from car to condo--through parking garage up to elevators. It would be nice to use a stroller and walk places. That would be nice. Once the kid is beyond stroller age, I think it becomes more difficult. Kid really needs a place to run and play. My children are just a 1000x happier when they are outside and I love that I can just open the door and stand outside while they play. Also, the older the child the more activities and trips you make --and the midtown high rise is totally inconvenient for errands--elevators, gates to wait for in the garage--it takes forever to go anywhere by car--and kids mean you will use your car--soccer practice, birthday party, dentist appt etc...

Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,628,896 times
a lot of these folks are talking about your high rise condo situation, but there are other options such as the OP mentioned, townhomes and condos that aren't high rise, meaning you can step out the door into a park or play area. aren't they building a lot of those on the beltline?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM

713 posts, read 413,301 times
Yes, townhouse style condo is way better for kids--although you still will share walls with neighbors which means kids will need to learn to be quiet...and your neighbors will just have to bear with you through the screaming newborn phase...

Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM

2,295 posts, read 3,134,091 times
We live in a highrise and have a toddler. I agree and can see as they get older there are things that would be easier in a SFH or townhome. Like everything there are pros and cons, for us at this age it has worked out wonderful - More secure, easy to go for walks, great access to the best parks and playgrounds, no yardwork and a secure building which provides peace of mind while I am at work.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM

987 posts, read 619,904 times
I grew up in Manhattan where it is very common for parents to leave children home alone in the buildings. My brother and I are the same age and we had some interesting things happen in our co-op. Our parents would ask the doorman to monitor us, but we would go down the service elevator to the service corridor and bring people in the back way. It was very common in HS that somebody would be left home alone for the weekend. In some buildings you have to be more quiet than others. The people below us left every weekend and we were a corner unit with only one common wall so it was hard to hear what was going on. (When our older sister was home she would buy us liquor and we found a store in the Adirondacks that would sell to us.)

I would say there are advantages raising children in both locations. My sister was raised some in Atlanta, and her HS social experience was much different than what I had in Manhattan. It's different in NYC because most mothers do not stay at home with young children in the buildings. During the day the women you see pushing carriages are usually the nanny. Also people don't spend holidays in the those buildings in Manhattan when the private schools start a vacation those buildings clear out. Most people have a house outside of the city.

I have a divorced friend that lives in a high rise and he enjoys it his older child lives mostly with him. He had said he didn't think he would go the condo route if his children were elementary school age. He liked paying one fee to get everything done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta