Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:32 PM

105 posts, read 552,252 times

Advertisements

We just finished a 4-day "tour" of suburb Atlanta in attempt to figure out where we actually want to live when we relocate to the area.

I will say, everyone's advice about finding a job then a place to live, is 100% spot on. However, in my situation, my husband is a school teacher (I'm a stay-at-home mom), and given our circumstances, we believe he'll be able to find a job just about anywhere we look. For us, we have to figure out what parts of Atlanta to live, and then he can start applying for jobs.

We looked in the Dallas/Paulding County area, but I felt like it was too far out. We also have family that lives in Augusta, GA, so why add on an additional 30-60 minutes if we don't have to. We pretty much narrowed down our search to the Suwanee area (Morningview...which I posted about previously).

As I've been reflecting about our trip, I keep going back to a few houses we saw in Cumming. One, specifically, in the Liberty development.

So...my expert Atlanta folks....talk to me about the differences between the two - Suwanee and Cumming. Is Cumming really that much farther out? Is Cumming more "up and coming" than Suwanee? (pun intended ) If my husband concentrates on finding a job around Suwanee, is that even commutable to Cumming (if I decide we actually do like that better)?

One of the things I didn't like was the further we got out, the more "cookie cutter" the homes got...and I definitely don't want that! Is Cumming alot like that (more so than Suwanee?) We have that in California, and that's one of the things I'm looking forward to leaving most!!!

I'd love any feedback that anyone has.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM

279 posts, read 471,811 times
well, in cumming you have easy access to the lake...that would be nice

Old 04-23-2007, 07:00 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Default We like Morningview

My wife and I live in Morningview and enjoy it. One thing that is nice about Suwanee is the parks and trail system. Yesterday morning my daughter and I drove 2 minutes from our house to the Suwanee Creek greenway and had a nice walk through the woods along a marsh with turtles and herons. Another nice thing about Morningview is that we can take back roads to the Mall of Georgia area and be there in 10 minutes, while still being tucked away from it all. We have also been happy with Suwanee elementary, which bascially serves only Morningview and a couple of other subdivisions. One of the main differences between Suwanee and Cumming is that Suwanee is a little more diverse. The school is probably about 15% African Amercian and about 15% Asian. The schools in Cumming are probably less diverse due to the fact that historically non-whites were not allowed to live in Forsyth County (I am not making this up!). My wife and I had thought about buying a house in south Forsyth, but while traffic is bad everywhere in metro Atlanta, including Suwanee, it seems especially bad in Cumming and Johns Creek due to growth. As far as commuting to Cumming from Suwanee, its actually pretty easy - my wife drives through there to Alpharetta everyday, and it's not bad on GA 20 or Buford Dam Rd.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM

59 posts, read 348,170 times
We're moving to Cumming next month from NJ. We considered both Suwanee and Cumming. It was a tough choice - we really liked what Suwanee had to offer as far as community amenities (the parks and trails system that OhioNative mentioned, the Gwinnett county pool/recreation centers that are everywhere). However, growth in Gwinnett is totally out of control (and the resulting traffic) - the "cookie cutter" houses and subdivisons you saw are a direct result of that.

We chose Cumming for multiple reasons. The Property taxes are much less in Forsyth vs. Gwinnett. It's close to Alpharetta (important since my company HQ is there and although I work from home, I'll have to go in on occasion). It's closer to Lake Lanier, and the subdivisions have some character to them (especially those on the Lanier side of GA400). Growth seems to have some rational thought behind it, and it has a rural feel, but it's not too rural (still convenient to shopping).

We looked at Liberty, and I like how Peachtree Residential does their developments. The pricing was right too. The only thing we didn't like was the lot sizes - most lots are 1/4 to 1/2 acre, and we wanted more land.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,323 times
Forsyth county is among the top ten fastest growth county in US for several years now. So it is new developing area that will have growing pain. I wonder how long it will retain that rural feeling. Also, the only major road to go to atlanta is through GA400 (which also happened to favor road for many folks from North Fulton like Alpharatta, Milton and John's Creek).

It is true that Gwinnett also have growth problem. But most of that growth are in Dacula/Grayson/Hamilton area which is north or east of Suwanee. Suwanee will not grow much simply because there is no land left to develop.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:28 PM

111 posts, read 596,010 times
My family and I are also looking at Cumming. We were there last week, and checked out a couple of subdivisions. Also, you can get to Atlanta from Cumming going down highway 9... You'll go through Alpharetta, Roswell and on into Buckhead and further.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 PM

59 posts, read 348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
My family and I are also looking at Cumming. We were there last week, and checked out a couple of subdivisions. Also, you can get to Atlanta from Cumming going down highway 9... You'll go through Alpharetta, Roswell and on into Buckhead and further.
Just make sure that you'll be working in the area if you are considering Cumming. Traffic in the area is horrible.

You're right, you can reach Atlanta via highway 9, but it's stop-and-go traffic and the traffic is bad, bad, bad. I would consider it an alternative to GA400, but only for short-medium trips.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 AM

85 posts, read 224,448 times
How are race relations in Cumming? I currently live in marietta and would consider Cumming but I have always been under the notion that Forsyth County does not welcome minorities. We bought our first home in Paulding County. The schools in our neighborhood are dismal so now we want to move.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 AM

83 posts, read 311,257 times
As a resident of Cumming, I can tell you that I didn't see or observe any race issues. For that matter, there is a healthy mix of all races in my community and we had a good time when we get together for events.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 PM

33 posts, read 172,228 times
I was looking in cumming, bridgetowne subdivision to be exact, can someone tell me more about this subdivision? GA-400 stop at this exit and become a high way, So looks like people who live there all go one way to work. How bad was the traffic? I think that got to be one of the factor to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta