Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 PM

88 posts, read 491,231 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I need to know if any of you can provide feedback about this catholic school? I desperately need an answer. Is it a school that I should consider for my kids? I tried to use google earth and place it......it looks as if it is in a warehouse.....can someone verify for me. it is located in River Green Parkway in Duluth.

I appreciate all the help!

Maroule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Here you go, Maroule:

The school website.

And a picture of the school (http://www.archatl.com/schools/detail/Notre_Dame_Academy/ - broken link)(it does appear to be located in an industrial/office park).

"Notre Dame Academy sits in a quiet office park off Peachtree Industrial Boulevard and is a renovated 48,000-square-foot office building that has been completely transformed into a Catholic school environment ... already has 180 students enrolled in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The tuition at the school is $7,500 annually"
From: http://www.georgiabulletin.org/local/2005/09/08/nda/

Old 04-21-2007, 04:46 AM

Hello Figment,

Thanks for the information. Do you know anyone that have childre there? i would like to know if they have an outside space for children to run, or play sports, is it a good school? It's location...does it create any nuisance being close to an industrial area?. I would like to know if I can go ahead and send my children there if accepted. I do not have much time due to the deadline. But I do not know a thing about the school apart from what the website tells me. i want outside info.

Thank you.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Here you go, Maroule:

The school website.

http://www.georgiabulletin.org/local/2005/09/08/nda/

And a picture of the school (http://www.archatl.com/schools/detail/Notre_Dame_Academy/ - broken link)(it does appear to be located in an industrial/office park)

Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Maroule

I am sorry I don't know anyone who goes there -- it is only in its' second year of operation.

Given they are new, I doubt they are full. When are you actually arriving... it is possible that you could apply, and if accepted, they might wait for your deposit till you can at least visit...

What happened with the other schools?

Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Hello there :-)

last minute Mom,

They actually accepted my children. I have until wednesday to answer. Before I did that i wanted to get as much "personal experience" info that I could, given this short notice. The other shcools GACS and BCA both sent letter that everything was fine and that they were awaiting my arrival to test the kids. Actually got these answers yesterday.......my beef is that I do not want to tell NDA....that I cannot send in my deposit now and see my chances with the other schools go away due to "space".

this is happening so fast. Do you think that NDA accepted me because they are new and that they need enrollment? I do have to say that I explained my situation to the principal (overseas, moving in June)....I am wondering if that is the reason why they "skipped" the testing requirement that I see that other schools have.

I am desperate for information. I also do not want to go ahead with NDA and be dissapointed once we get there.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Maroule

I am sorry I don't know anyone who goes there -- it is only in its' second year of operation.

Given they are new, I doubt they are full. When are you actually arriving... it is possible that you could apply, and if accepted, they might wait for your deposit till you can at least visit...

What happened with the other schools?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:06 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Generally, Catholic schools, nationally, are not as competitive to get in as other types of private schools -- it is part of their mission to ensure that students get an education. Also, because they are new, they simply may have more room.

Why don't you call them on Monday and tell them that you are arriving in June and would like to visit first, before putting money down. You are simply overwhelmed and wonder if you could visit first, to make sure the school is a good fit.

With the exception of readiness type tests for K and 1st graders, it doesn't seem like they do test -- just use the standardized tests from the kids' previous schools.

Their website indicates that they are still taking applications for next year --

Old 04-21-2007, 07:43 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
"i would like to know if they have an outside space for children to run, or play sports, is it a good school? It's location."

I don't have personal experience but pass any information I know.

The school is next to big city of Duluth soccer complex. There are large outdoor spaces next to school.

From all I read, the school has good program. It followed IB and has a lot of unique programs.

Here is another article about the schools.
http://www.georgiabulletin.org/local/2007/03/29/rome/

Also, I read an article a couple of weeks back. Several students and teachers in Notre Dame came from Pinecrest Academy in Cummings.

But at the end, you need to figure out whether you want to put your kids in a "startup" school. Initially, they cannot be very selective on students as the school grows.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:16 AM

Jxu66,

Thank you. your post is informative too. I cannot drive up the school, because i am overseas. I will call them eventually monday morning as expose my situation as last minute mom advised.

Thanks again for all your help

maroule

Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
We've been at NDA since its opening. It is a fantastic school. The teachers are very experienced and loving. The school already has a great reputation in the area and a number of families have transferred from other private schools in the area to attend Notre Dame. The school is very involved in service projects and does have PE every day, which my kids love. The IB program is progressing nicely also, and the parents are very friendly. As for openings, the school is filling up quickly. The enrollment started at 160. By year two, the school enrollment was up to about 375 and since more students have enrolled during this school year, I think enrollment may have topped 400. The school just added a fourth kindergarten for next year and another Pre-K3 class. It is incorrect to say the school is pining for students. The board is actually struggling to figure out how to accommodate the demand, particularly for the lower grades such as kindergarten and first grade. At the end of February the school had greater demand than spaces for all the grades except Pre-K4, 4th and 6th grades. I am not sure what the situation is now after all the acceptance letters went out. Some other Catholic schools in the area are very hard to get in to--Holy Redeemer in particular. GACS is also difficult to get in to.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Hello Ellar,

I did manage to get a reservation based on my case (I am coming from overseas). Thank you for your response. I have also applied to GACS, but since we are coming in late, the lady made sure to let us know that it could be an issue. I am praying for the best at this point. I a Glad that NDA is willing to take our children even if the deadline is past. I actually got an acceptance letter. We will see how it goes!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: