Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM

39 posts, read 81,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
In general, north of 78 is better than south of 78. Mainly because you'd be in the Parkview, Brookwood or Grayson HS clusters instead of Shiloh and South Gwinnett HS.
thanks. from what we've researched, a home that falls in 30078 zip code in Snellville is considered better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,893,052 times
Well the 30078 zip code has some of the best options north of 78, but also has some less desirable areas south and near 78. The trick in a lot of the metro area is to not go by cities or zip codes but school systems. Greatschools has a convenient map that will show boundaries for high schools, middle schools and elementary schools. You can also find a map on Gwinnett County schools webpage. If you wanted the best schools, I'd go Brookwood Elem --> Crews Middle --> Brookwood HS.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,706,619 times
Zip code and city name will not help you much.

https://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/g...df?MOD=AJPERES

What you are shooting for is that linear strip: Parkview -> Brookwood -> Grayon -> Archer.

If you are closer to I-85/316 (Meadowcreek, Berkmar, Central) there are TONS of old aging apartments.

If you are further south, Shiloh and South G., it is just far away from the local jobs base...so cheaper land values.

That area in between has more demand is mostly just single family homes and much more stable.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:11 PM

142 posts, read 167,004 times
If you are set on Snellville, I agree at looking north of 78. I wouldn't think you'd want the commute to be any further than Parkview or Brookwood areas though.

Another good option north of Covington, but not as far as Snellville is Loganville. Walton County borders to the north of Covington and has some great schools and areas.

If you are willing to consider Covington, look to the east side the county. It is more rural with more options for land for sure if that is of interest. Mansfield Elementary is good if you go that far east. Newton County Theme School is a choice school (K-8) in Covington and is a top school. I think it is mislabeled on greatschools.org as Fairview Theme School. Check schooldigger.com for better info. Excellent scores, challenging for the kids, lots of parental involvement etc. I have friends there with kids who are very happy with it. You have to apply, and it is a lottery to get in.

The east side of Newton near I-20 will be developing with the building of the billion$ Baxter facility going up near Social Circle. Hopefully, they will do a nice job at developing over there. Social Circle itself and Madison a little further east are beautiful small towns and would be worth considering if small towns interest you, and they would be an easy commute. More opportunity for land there as well. They both have nice little downtowns and active arts communities.

Newton County is pretty big. If your husband is working near downtown Covington or I-20, then I'd stick with the above suggestions. But, if he is working on the south side of the county, you might also consider the east side of Henry County/McDonough (Union Grove or Ola schools). East Henry County and south Newton border each other. Rockdale County (Conyers) borders Newton to its west. The best schools are on the southwest side of Rockdale County (schools feeding into Davis Middle then Heritage High (Lorraine, Honey Creek, or Barksdale ES)). Probably too far out unless he's working right on the border of south Rockdale/Newton.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:29 PM

thanks for the input! This is all really helpful! We don't like to be in the middle of nowhere and that's why we are looking at Snellville, because it is relatively closer to Atlanta and the airport (We travel a lot). We are also looking at living where there is reasonable diversity among different ethnic groups. We are actually asians and most of the asian community activities we partake in are north of Atlanta (Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell, etc.).

Has anyone heard of a local builder in Georgia called Core Home Builders? They are building new homes off of highpoint road in Snellville. These homes fall under the 30078 zip code. I checked and they are under the Brookwood school districts (Brookwood elem, brookwood high).

Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 PM

74 posts, read 173,087 times
I am responding to this post, as it was originally posted back in 2009, because Snellville and the area has changed quite a bit over the last few years. The government has upgraded the 124-78 interchange, better businesses have opened up, new construction is happening all over 78E and 124N. The community leaders have improved(somewhat) and they are planning even better things to happen in Snellville.
Just a little east of Snellville is Grayson and Loganville, both are very good areas to live. Grayson HS is ranked in the top ten schools in the nation, along with Brookwood and Parkview in the top 15. I love this whole area because of the businesses, restaurants, and access to Atlanta (about 30 minutes down 78 to I-285). This area has good community business leaders with a good planning and vision for the future of these areas.
Location is great with The Avenue on 124; 20 minutes to the Mall of Ga. (2nd largest mall in the US); 20 minutes to the Gwinnett Mall, etc.
If you have children, the Parks and Recreation Departments offer some of the best athletic programs in the country which feeds over to the high school athletic programs, with Grayson, Brookwood and Parkview being nationally ranked also. Gwinnett was ranked in the top 5 to have the best recreation parks in the US in 2014.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:12 AM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

What you are shooting for is that linear strip: Parkview -> Brookwood -> Grayon -> Archer.

If you are closer to I-85/316 (Meadowcreek, Berkmar, Central) there are TONS of old aging apartments.

If you are further south, Shiloh and South G., it is just far away from the local jobs base...so cheaper land values.

That area in between has more demand is mostly just single family homes and much more stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Wagner View Post
I am responding to this post, as it was originally posted back in 2009, because Snellville and the area has changed quite a bit over the last few years. The government has upgraded the 124-78 interchange, better businesses have opened up, new construction is happening all over 78E and 124N. The community leaders have improved(somewhat) and they are planning even better things to happen in Snellville.
Just a little east of Snellville is Grayson and Loganville, both are very good areas to live. Grayson HS is ranked in the top ten schools in the nation, along with Brookwood and Parkview in the top 15. I love this whole area because of the businesses, restaurants, and access to Atlanta (about 30 minutes down 78 to I-285). This area has good community business leaders with a good planning and vision for the future of these areas.
Location is great with The Avenue on 124; 20 minutes to the Mall of Ga. (2nd largest mall in the US); 20 minutes to the Gwinnett Mall, etc.
If you have children, the Parks and Recreation Departments offer some of the best athletic programs in the country which feeds over to the high school athletic programs, with Grayson, Brookwood and Parkview being nationally ranked also. Gwinnett was ranked in the top 5 to have the best recreation parks in the US in 2014.

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...df?MOD=AJPERES

Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Oops...didn't notice until now that you'd already linked this. My bad...

Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,893,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey621 View Post
thanks for the input! This is all really helpful! We don't like to be in the middle of nowhere and that's why we are looking at Snellville, because it is relatively closer to Atlanta and the airport (We travel a lot). We are also looking at living where there is reasonable diversity among different ethnic groups. We are actually asians and most of the asian community activities we partake in are north of Atlanta (Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell, etc.).

Has anyone heard of a local builder in Georgia called Core Home Builders? They are building new homes off of highpoint road in Snellville. These homes fall under the 30078 zip code. I checked and they are under the Brookwood school districts (Brookwood elem, brookwood high).
There are a lot of asians at Brookwood. East, SE, S and SW asians all included. Might not be as much as Northern Gwinnett, but it's not black and white.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM

thanks everyone for sharing their input! I think we are going to go ahead and reserve a lot in Snellville! We are excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta