U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM

184 posts, read 294,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have a job and have for the past 35 years. Why do you assume I am unemployed? I have a good union job with ATT (used to be Bellsouth). But there sure as hell ain't no jobs for 1000 new residents a day are there? Unemployment here is---- what again???---- 10.5%??? And now a Federal judge just ordered our water supply shut off!

Glad to hear that you have a job- your op said "we are out of jobs," which I thought meant you personally, not the city.

If new residents are just moving here without a plan, expecting someone to come out and offer them a job, that is a big problem. I'm not surprised that unemployment is high if people really take that attitude. The people who we really want to move here are the ones who already have a plan and won't just be another addition to the unemployed population. Executives who move to Atlanta along with their company headquarters, entrepreneurs, and existing small business owners... those are the people we need to try and attract. It did look like we were doing a good job of that in the early 90s, and we are still doing pretty good today.

The way to attract even more of those people is by offering incentives like lower taxes and less red-tape for their businesses. When compared to states like CA and NY we do a great job, but some other states like DE and NV are even more favorable for businesses and as a result take away jobs that could have come to Georgia. You work at AT&T so you probably remember when AT&T moved its headquarters last year. It would have been nice to see them move to Atlanta after the merger, but Texas just offered more for the business than Atlanta, so Atlanta ended up losing the HQ of a huge corporation (Bellsouth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 AM

504 posts, read 714,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Remember the roaring 90s when Atlanta was "the place to be"?? Everybody was moving here and the population was growing at almost 1000 new residents everyday? When we were ranked at the top of every magazines "best city to______" list? When it was said that the metro would top Los Angeles' 15 million mark in 20 years?

Here is one:
Job growth is projected to top 9% through 2010 in an economy that ranges from financial services to telecom.

#4 Atlanta, Ga. - Kiplinger.com

Now we are out of jobs, out of water and stuck in traffic. So much for all that!
I don't think anyone really thought that Atlanta would pass LA in 20 years time. Atlanta would have to add around 500,000 people a year to reach that goal. You have to understand that this world wide recession slowed down Atlanta, not Atlanta. You can wright this thread about any city that was booming in the 90's and 2000's. Speaking of the 2000's, what rock have you been under from 2000 to 2007? This city has grown like crazy.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 AM

16,249 posts, read 10,502,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
Glad to hear that you have a job- your op said "we are out of jobs," which I thought meant you personally, not the city.

If new residents are just moving here without a plan, expecting someone to come out and offer them a job, that is a big problem. I'm not surprised that unemployment is high if people really take that attitude. The people who we really want to move here are the ones who already have a plan and won't just be another addition to the unemployed population. Executives who move to Atlanta along with their company headquarters, entrepreneurs, and existing small business owners... those are the people we need to try and attract. It did look like we were doing a good job of that in the early 90s, and we are still doing pretty good today.

The way to attract even more of those people is by offering incentives like lower taxes and less red-tape for their businesses. When compared to states like CA and NY we do a great job, but some other states like DE and NV are even more favorable for businesses and as a result take away jobs that could have come to Georgia. You work at AT&T so you probably remember when AT&T moved its headquarters last year. It would have been nice to see them move to Atlanta after the merger, but Texas just offered more for the business than Atlanta, so Atlanta ended up losing the HQ of a huge corporation (Bellsouth).
Didn't used to be. When we moved here in 1996, it was "get up at 9 and get hired by 12".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta