Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM

8 posts, read 22,826 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the feedback...this really helps us a lot. By the way, how do you secure a job in ATL all the way from NJ??? Come for an interview and then a possible second interview...get the job find a house and move down...all in the course of a few weeks???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Heavensangel

If your husband leaves his job to move here, I don't believe he would be eligible for unemployment. You need to be terminated to be eligible.

The job market is tough here. It is fairly tough everywhere. That is why there is so much information out there about keeping the job you have.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 08-02-2009 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 22,826 times
That's true! Thanks LMmom....also I've been looking in Maryland and Virginia...there really are no jobs out there. I had better luck finding jobs in Atl...

Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 17,082 times
I have a job lined up in ATL yet with all these posts, it makes me think maybe I should consider staying where I am in NYC. Even with a job (and a good one) does it still make sense to not move? Bigger house and warmer weather seems appealing to me.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshots5 View Post
I have a job lined up in ATL yet with all these posts, it makes me think maybe I should consider staying where I am in NYC. Even with a job (and a good one) does it still make sense to not move? Bigger house and warmer weather seems appealing to me.
Depends on what you're leaving behind, and how the new job/location/salary compares. For us, it was a great move from NJ to GA, but for others, it doesn't work as well. Big homes and warm weather only fulfill part of your needs.......

Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,702 times
Hello goodluck to u. Ur post is very ironic. I am basically in the same boat as you. The only difference is that I have a job and no children. I am also looking to move to Georgia, preferably Gwinnett county. I heard alot of good things about that town. I am a 26 yr old Jamaican born female, however i was raised in Ny and moved to NJ about ten yrs ago, in which i am not too happy. I live in Howell Twp. But i also do not have any relatives in GA jus friends. I think you should take the chance and move, the school system is quite different from what i heard however they are just as good, if not better. I.E no overcrowding or anything like that. I think that you should just do alittle more research and then make a decision. The housing costs down there are way cheaper, HOWEVER you will need to find a job ASAP. if you can find somthing there that atleast pays you how much you were making out in NJ then youll be could because Georgia living cost are cheapr. Gwinnett county is close to ATL so if you are looking for the NY style nightlife, as least u can find it there INDEFINITELY! My best opinion would be to find a job first then move, you be perfectly fine getting a home because foreclosures are so high right now that there are homes there in the 50-90 thousand range!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,702 times
easier said, make time to go out to ATL for maybe a week, and interview, but i would wait until i get alot of replies then schedule everything within that wk. the good part of being from up north and trying to get a job down south is that they love Northern aggressiveness, and its a plus when it comes to buisness. so its all good, itll work out! pray on it

Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchick View Post
I MISSNY, that was an awesome post and I did think of every thing you mentioned. I did think about my noisy kids and thought about giving her some money for food and a few bills here and there...I would never do that...live in someone's house and not offer any money although they are saying "don't worry about it" I am going to say that I LOVE NY too and think that although rent is sky HI and homes are not affordable there is always some way that we can make money in NY. It can be selling water on the corner of Atlantic Ave or selling costume jules or whatever. There is always a hustle to make it through and that is why I love NY. I love the convinience, I love getting my hair done for 12 bucks at the dominicans and getting a mani and pedi for 15 bucks on a weekday. NY rent and homes are expensive but the services are cheaper and they are always open late and I could go on and on and on. If I had money I would move to park slope some where or down town Brooklyn but that is not the case here. I just cant see my self paying 1200 rent for a rat hole. So I say this to say that I have not completely made up my mind about atlanta although my husband is all for it. Phliadelphia and South Jersey is not all that either, don't care too much for these states.....HELP! LOL Which state?, Where should My family go? I'm confused because doing a short sale is the option we must go so in 3 to 6 months we have to go some where. It's not in option to stay in the house we live in right now. Thanks city-data!
OMG you are making me miss home right now. Good thing I will be there soon if only to visit. The highlighted is man reason I cant get with Altanta...there is no convienence for me. Everything is way out the way and dominican are far and few in between...I could go on and on and on. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:28 AM

24 posts, read 53,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
OMG you are making me miss home right now. Good thing I will be there soon if only to visit. The highlighted is man reason I cant get with Altanta...there is no convienence for me. Everything is way out the way and dominican are far and few in between...I could go on and on and on. Good luck with whatever you choose.

The main reason you cant deal with Atlanta is the lack of people pedding crap jewelry on a streetcorner? Or not being able to get your haircut for 12 by some islanders? Maybe you ought to really think about your priorities.. Thought about Detroit?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco0437 View Post
The main reason you cant deal with Atlanta is the lack of people pedding crap jewelry on a streetcorner? Or not being able to get your haircut for 12 by some islanders? Maybe you ought to really think about your priorities.. Thought about Detroit?
NO its not having the convienence of doing the things I want or am used to. Sorry the next place I go will be BACK TO NY......and it has nothing to do with ppl peddling crap on the street or Dominicans washing my hair(maybe just a little). ITs because ATL is not for me.......plain and simple. What would you know about my priorities? LMAO....thanks for making me laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta